5,599,677 Members 46,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I don't want to ruin my phone! any experts around?

Tip us?

jordan800999
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] I don't want to ruin my phone! any experts around?

Hey guys!
I just got my GS3 rooted and installed the touch version of cwm and now am thinking of flashing a custom rom of my choice.

Now before I flashed anything I used the GS3 Toolkit to backup all my device and when I came to dig deeper on how to flash my GS3 I was left with one unanswered question that I couldn't find an answer to. My android version on my current device is 4.1.2 but the rom I want to flash (Dirty Unicorn) is based on 4.3.1. can I just flash it normally or are there a few steps involved to prevent my device from being bricked?

Thanks in advance I hope this helps someone out there as well

Lots of love,

A rookie passionate about Android!

imjackdupp
Old
Thanks Meter 4
No, I have flashed flashed DU a few times and even dirty flashed it over PA. You shouldn't have any trouble just make sure you follow the directions to the letter and make a backup first.

Good Luck.

uglyjohny
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Dnt forget to backup your EFS if you want to get back to 4.1.x or 4.2.x

sent from sgs3 -stock 4.3 open europe rom

DizzyMizzy
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Just a nandroid backup in the recovery on your external sd card, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, (and then i usually format system) for a clean install. Then go to install zip and choose your zip.
Don't forget to place your rom on your external sd card so you won't format it by mistake( I already did so, just be carefull and take your time)