Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[FULL FIX]S3 TO FACTORY STATE unroot/stock recovery/reset binary counter/stock ROM

OP doovd

View First Unread
14th June 2013, 03:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 108

12 posts
IMPORTANT: This guide is for the i9300 variant of the S3. Those with other variants - Please use this guide ONLY if you know for sure it will work for you.
For those with the Verizion S3, it was reported that you can use this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1762709
The problem is that many of you may have unlocked your bootloaders, and this guide DOES NOT apply if you need to re-lock.

Right - I hope this is the correct section. I only just completely restored my S3 to factory state and I had to use so many articles over the web, half of them not even bringing me back to the original state. If you follow this, you will bring it back to a condition that will in effect recover your warranty and you'll be able to send it off. I'm also a new member(just signed up today) and I actually signed up because I wanted to post this haha.
==========================================
What this will leave you with in the end
==========================================
1. Official Firmware
2. Official Recovery
3. Binary Counter set to 0
4. Device status to "Normal"
5. Factory Settings as if you just took it out of the box.

=========================================
This will help you if
=========================================
You've soft bricked your phone but can still access recovery and want to reset
You've installed a custom recovery and want stock
You want to unroot and remove the modifications made (including a custom recovery such as CWM)
You want to reset the binary counter

THIS IS A DANGEROUS OPERATION AND COULD POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING ON THIS THREAD AND FOR ANYTHING THAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR DEVICE AS A RESULT OF FOLLOWING MY GUIDE. BY FOLLOWING IT YOU ACCEPT THIS.

Process Overview
1. Reset Binary Counter
2. Flash Stock Recovery
3. Device Wipe
4. Flash Stock ROM
5. Done!

Instructions

1. Reset Binary Counter
Right so the S3 has a feature known as the binary counter - this counter is incremented everytime you flash any unnoficial software. This includes any custom ROMs, Kernels, and Recoveries. Chances are, during your rooting process you installed a custom recovery such as ClockWork Mod. This means your counter is not at 0, and your system status will be that you're running unnoficial software - WE NEED TO GET RID OF THIS.
=====================
Steps:
=====================
1.1 Turn off your phone.
1.2 Press the Home, Volume Down and Power buttons together.
1.3 Press Volume Up to continue when prompted
1.4 You will now see the binary counter will have an integer other than 0. Note this value down.
1.5 Download: TriangleAway. You can do this by going to this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494114
1.6 Copy it to your phone's memory or SD card.
1.7 Use any file browsing software to install the apk you downloaded.
1.8 Open the application and follow the notifications shown.
1.9 Find "Reset Flash Counter". The details shown should match your binary counter that you noted down earlier.
1.10 It may also say "this information cannot be retrieved" or something of the sort - in that case you can go ahead (I had to do this) and press reset flash counter. It will now boot into it's own mode. Follow the instructions to reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Can I add that between steps 10 and 11, if you have a custom kernel or recovery, and a JellyBean bootloader - when the phone boots, the flash counter goes back up to to 1.

To remedy this, you can either:

1) After pressing the volume key in Triangle away, interrupt the boot up by pulling the battery. Check in download mode. If 0, move on to next step - otherwise, repeat

2) Flash an ICS Bootloader via ODIN first. ICS bootloaders are reset permanently once reset via Triangle away

3) Flash a stock recovery and kernel via ODIN so the flash counter doesn't increase once reset via Triangle away

4) Flip the entire process around. Flash a stock ROM first, root with CF Auto root. Run triangle way then use the superuser app itself to unroot.

Hope this helps.

1.11 Your counter is now reset! You can check it by repeating the first 4 steps.

2. Flash Stock Recovery
(Skip this step if you have stock recovery already)
We need to do a full wipe of the system. To do this we need to go to our recovery but OH **** we've got a custom recovery. If we go into this recovery then we'll set the binary counter back to 1 again and it'll defeat the purpose of the first step. If we, however, use a stock recovery then the counter will still stay at 0.
=====================
Steps:
=====================
Credits: http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-tu...-on-galaxy-s3/
2.1 We need to go back to ODIN mode (where you observed your binary counter).
2.2 Turn off your phone.
2.3 Press the Home, Volume Down and Power buttons together.
2.4 Press Volume Up to continue when prompted
2.5 Download ODIN: http://stockroms.net/file/Tools/ODIN/Odin3v185.zip (this is the version I used)

2.6 Download your StockRecovery:
Stock Recovery for International Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 (This is the one I used because I'm from the UK)

Download Stock Recovery for Galaxy S3 SGH-I717/I717M (AT&T,Canadian)

Download Stock Recovery for Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 (Verizon)

Download Stock Recovery for Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 (T-Mobile)

Download Stock Recovery for Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 (Sprint)

2.7 Run ODIN. Do not touch any of the options. Only Auto Reboot should be checked.
2.8 Plug in your phone. The first COM rectangle should be yellow (like: http://gyazo.com/ad7dcd2af17a7ff6745ded7ea91eefaf ) and ODIN should recognize the phone. If this is not the case and it's not recognizing it then you need to get drivers for your phone.
2.9 Click "PDA" and select the stock recovery file you just downloaded.
2.10 Click Start.
2.11 When complete the top left will be green.
2.12 Now you have a stock recovery!!
2.13 Unplug your phone

3. Device Wipe
3.1 Go into stock recovery by holding down Home, Volume up and Power buttons together.
3.2 When you see the samsung logo, let go and you'll see it go into custom recovery.
3.3 Scroll to device wipe using the volume keys.
3.4 Press the home key to select the option, and then select yes. Once the device is wiped it will let you know.

4. Flash Official ROM
4.1 Download your official ROM here: http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=GT-I9300
4.2 Choose the correct ROM corresponding to your country, I chose BTU since my phone was unlocked and I'm from the UK.
Please note: it is IMPORTANT that you download the correct ROM. Dial *#1234# to find your CSC (country code) and CP number which you can match up to the ROM.
4.3 It's around 800MB so it will take a while to download.
4.4 Go to ODIN mode again by
4.5 Press the Home, Volume Down and Power buttons together.
4.6 Press Volume Up to continue when prompted.
4.7 Run ODIN on your computer and connect your phone.
4.8 When it recognizes it, check "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time".
4.9 Everything else should be left unchecked.
4.10 On your computer, unzip the ROM file you downloaded. It should give you something with the extension of .tar.md5
4.11 Press "PDA" on ODIN and select this file.
4.12 Everything should be as shown here: http://gyazo.com/fea7a1c8b7a7b5bb287fb0a0c70056dc
4.13 Click Start and wait for it to do it's thing. It'll take quite a few minutes.
4.14 When it's finished, you're DONE!!!!
IMPORTANT: If when rebooting, it hangs at the samsung logo for a while then perform STEP 3 (Wipe Device) and then reboot it. Should work. If not then post here and someone may help you OR you can attempt reflashing your stock ROM again.

And that's it folks I'm not very experienced with android so I won't be able to answer questions if you have any problems, this is just the steps I devised and it worked.

Credits:
Makers of ODIN(?)
TriangleAway: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1494114
This Site: http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-tu...-on-galaxy-s3/
This Site: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-pho...y-s3-50009490/

Thanks for reading, hope I helped ya out!
Last edited by doovd; 23rd January 2014 at 02:50 PM.
The Following 106 Users Say Thank You to doovd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2013, 03:12 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 91

387 posts
More
Tops! Should be sticky!
14th June 2013, 03:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joooe

Tops! Should be sticky!

Perhaps that is a good idea, I could not find a complete guide elsewhere showing this
14th June 2013, 04:22 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4,428

23,044 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doovd

Perhaps that is a good idea, I could not find a complete guide elsewhere showing this

[Tut] Unroot the Galaxy SIII (for stock updates/warranty) 14 June 2012.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1710613
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JJEgan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2013, 10:49 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Thanks for unlocking - hope you guys can make use of this. Feel free to ask any questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to doovd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2013, 01:44 AM   |  #6  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,805

24,980 posts
More
Can I add that between steps 10 and 11, if you have a custom kernel or recovery, and a JellyBean bootloader - when the phone boots, the flash counter goes back up to to 1.

1) After pressing the volume key in Triangle away, interrupt the boot up by pulling the battery. Check in download mode. If 0, move on to next step - otherwise, repeat

2) Flash an ICS Bootloader via ODIN first. ICS bootloaders are reset permanently once reset via Triangle away

3) Flash a stock recovery and kernel via ODIN so the flash counter doesn't increase once reset via Triangle away

4) Flip the entire process around. Flash a stock ROM first, root with CF Auto root. Run triangle way then use the superuser app itself to unroot.

Hope this helps.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2013, 12:39 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot mate, will add it to the original post!
The Following User Says Thank You to doovd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2013, 01:46 PM   |  #8  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 2,142

1,095 posts
Can you confirm this procedure?

1)flash stock firmware with odin (for example MC2 4.1.2)
2) root + recovery
3)downgrade to XXALE8 bootloader
4) triangle away
5)another flash of stock firmware to uninstall recovery e root

It is the correct procedure?
I read about some issue in the 5) point (fail of odin in sboot.bin).....can I flash another time the stock firmware over the old bootloader?
Last edited by kenzolo; 15th June 2013 at 02:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenzolo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2013, 02:21 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Stuck
Thanks for the guide!

I'm having issues with step

2.10 Click Start.

When i get to this point, the Message window just hangs at " <ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping.."

any clue whats going on, and/or how to fix?

EDIT: I'm using Verizon-SCH-I535 Stock Recovery.tar
Last edited by Mogrix; 15th June 2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Info
15th June 2013, 02:45 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 4,428

23,044 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogrix

Thanks for the guide!

I'm having issues with step

2.10 Click Start.

When i get to this point, the Message window just hangs at " <ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping.."

any clue whats going on, and/or how to fix?

EDIT: I'm using Verizon-SCH-I535 Stock Recovery.tar

WRONG forum this is I9300 forum or you are trying to flash wrong phone to a I9300 .

jje

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread