5,597,937 Members 38,629 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fix:Enable Windows Explorer thumbnails by removing MTP permanently GS3(screenshots)

Tip us?

Jarmezrocks
Old
(Last edited by Jarmezrocks; 24th December 2013 at 07:16 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 379

DONATE TO ME
Default Fix:Enable Windows Explorer thumbnails by removing MTP permanently GS3(screenshots)

Hi guys.

I inadvertently found this out by mistake when I have been trying to get my damn phone to even connect in Windows 7 64bit. Man it's been giving me the sh!ts.

I will quote my post from another thread on the forum. And see the evidence in the screenshot below.
It turns out that we don't even need MTP drivers to do any sort of transfer in Windows. What a load of bollocks we have all been fed.

My device manager shows no trace of MTP anywhere now (thankfully) and my Phone appears as a portable device like it should.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmezrocks View Post
Ok guys,

just updated to 4.3 and have had no end of issues with this MTP problem. I have searched for weeks for an answer and nothing worked that was suggested. I think I have done like 10 - 20 factory resets on this F%#*ing thing, and it was never the phone's problem in the first place, definitely a Windows problem in my case.

I tried a combo of things for my last try right this very minute and I have success.

I searched for the MTP driver in the registry. Note: Make a backup....I didn't I f*%#ing hate this piece of sh!t so I went ahead and deleted it. You can do as you please though, I am mighty angry so I didn't care.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

Instead of looking for upper filters I removed it totally

I had to change permissions on that object to do so, then inside permissions take ownership and tick child keys and subkeys

Uncheck inherit from parent

If it pops up a dialog pops up choose add from the options

You will have to do this for several tabs in this permissions of the registry. Once you delete this, unplug your phone and plug it back in again. You will get the warning of failed MTP drivers as I did.

Now go to Device Manager and instead of uninstalling the failed MTP driver yellow Icon, this time scroll down a little further to another section that says ADB Device. (See attached picture Fix_MTP_Error1.png)Now click uninstall on that driver, check the box that says "Would you like to delete this driver" click yes. Let it remove.

When it is removed a Windows pop up Warning appears telling you you need to reboot. Don't reboot. ignore it. Look down at the system Tray and you will see your little installing driver swirly thing doing it's business for once.

When it finishes, Open explorer and you will notice another thing different. Your device will be sitting in My Computer, however it will have a new Icon and it will now say Portable Device and NOT the device name like GT-I9305 in my case (See attached picture Fix_MTP_Error2.png)
At this point I clicked on it anyway cause it obviously registered something, right?

Yoooou beauty!!!!!!!!! Hoooraaaaaaah Merry Christmas too me! Merry Christmas too me!!!!

What you will notice however is that the name that you thought disappeared is still there as the device label when you check in the address bar See attached picture Fix_MTP_Error3.png

Edit: By the way, the device name I just noticed now corresponds to the name that is put in as the name of the device when you are in the setup wizard when you first boot up; unlike before it retained the same device name as 4.1.2 just plain GT-I9305 and no full device name, I called mine James' GT-I9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmezrocks View Post
Guys..... you are not going to believe this!!!!

Check it out. I now have Explorer enabled thumbnails. Man MTP was pissing me off for months when I first got this thing. Do you know how debilitating this is when you don't know what image is what saved on your SDcard. Man it's frustrating.

Hope your guys like this solution it works well

help find a cure for Narcolepsy
donations to this cause do not come directly to me, they are
anonymous but please tell me so I can give you thanks

Jarmezrocks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 379

DONATE TO ME
Some other benefits I am just noticing is that I can now transfer files with the screen completely locked. No need to have the device stay away for 10-20min. Transfer speeds are now super fast and no more pop up errors asking if I still want to transfer the file even if the device doesn't recognise this format. All that BS is gone.

You can now permanently organise your files like you would in Windows Explorer. No more track title, Track number and Rating cr@p in the attributes section either.

All right click explorer context menus are standard menus.

I will take more screenshots later

I am a very happy camper now

Jarmezrocks
Old
(Last edited by Jarmezrocks; 24th December 2013 at 07:07 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 379

DONATE TO ME
I now no longer have ANY drivers what so ever try to load in the taskbar when i connect my phone. My phone is available instantly. I can also copy multiple files at the same time into different parts of my SDcard and not get the 'Device is busy' error.

More and more things to suggest that MTP is a crock of sh!t that Micro$oft and $am$ung want us to believe to support DRM. Thats what all this is about, it's got nothing to do with what ever BS they have fed us.

Man what a revelation.

I have figured out why this has all happened to each and everyone of us. When we pug in our devices, Windows detects that it is an MTP device, Remember all those Galaxy S2 users out there where we used to have UMS Mass storage and then a few updates came and we were forced to go MTP again. Well that is only programatically in the Android interface telling Windows we need to have an MTP driver.....BEFORE Googles ADB driver can be loaded. Once the MTP device is flagged, MTP drivers are loaded and different ADB driver is loaded instead of the Google one....the one that enables all the traditional Windows Explorer like functions on the device. Nothings changed is what I am saying, only our belief that we NEED to run MTP drivers.

Removing the registry entry for the whole MTP driver meant that it can no longer be called to load no matter what. At least it is failing for a reason I say. Now the second part where you are asked to reboot to unload the driver.....that part there is a complete lie told to our faces. What that is is a white lie. A lie we believe most of the time. What it means is that yes we need to reboot to unload and reload "their drivers" and we click yes, because the Google ADB driver never gets to finish installing. Clicking no allowed the original proper driver to load and register. Once registered, I now no longer am asked to install any sort of drivers. When ever I plug in my phone it works straight away. Ever waited impatiently for 10min for the MTP driver to load? Yeah well not anymore. Force unload it, get rid of it, seyonara forever MTP!!!

jfrm
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Don't you loose access to the system internal card?
Current: Samsung Galaxy SIII (ALEXNDR XXUGNB6 Development Base)

Previous Devices: HTC Magician -> HTC Hermes -> HTC Raphael -> HTC HD2

btemtd
Old
Thanks Meter 993

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrm View Post
Don't you loose access to the system internal card?
+1
Good question.. James can you access both memory card and phone sd in windows explorer when mtp is gone ?
IPhone 3GS >> Iphone 4 >> Samsung GS3 I9300 >> Samsung GS3 I9305 LTE >> Samsung GS4 I9505 LTE

Spec daily run :
Galaxy S4
2gb Ram
LTE (4G)
Snapdragon 600
QuadBEAST @ 1998mhz x 4
Andreno 320

Best Quadrant Benchmark To-Date = 15,255k @ 2.16Ghz
Best Antutu = 31,385 @ 1998mhz

My Work:

-=PandoriaM=- Rom for SGS3 4G I9305

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trollyaa L8rrrrrrr

Jarmezrocks
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 379

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by btemtd View Post
+1
Good question.. James can you access both memory card and phone sd in windows explorer when mtp is gone ?
Surely can. I can actually access both even faster than ever before.

Why would I loose connection to the device internal storage? Has this been an issue for other people before?