Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,105 Members 44,784 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S III Discussion

Tip us?

2hvy4grvty
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim93 View Post
Quad cores individual cores are usually slower which means my s2 will still be faster in single threaded applications and since there is no point in running more than 3 applications at once I doubt it will make a difference on that front
This is just plain wrong information.

me_is_rushin
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hvy4grvty View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9f...eature=relatedAnd also, I think it's absolutely hideous. "Inspired by pebbles?" Honestly, who could even say that with a straight face. Oval phones are just... not smart.
Actually "Inspired by pebbles" might be very smart on their part. According to this article it says this was done to avoid patent infringements on Apple.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/05...ly-by-lawyers/

Darkangels6sic6
Old
Thanks Meter 62

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9f...ure=relatedAnd also, I think it's absolutely hideous. "Inspired by pebbles?" Honestly, who could even say that with a straight face. Oval phones are just... not smart.

First off that is not true. Curves are actually very nice, definitive, adaptable, and smart. Most people actually instinctively like curvy things. Woman, electronics, cars, and so forth. Is it the most elaborate unique design out there? No, but it sure is light years from ugly or stupid. You do not have to favor it either.

Could it have been more hardware wise? Definitely. Is it the same ground breaking mode Samsung always sets? Sadly not. This does not make it crap or mean it's not top dog still.

Sadly no A-15, but the SOC in it is still definitely in race of best and HD Amoled even though pentile is still superb. Not to mention the fact the phone is still almost same size as S2. It's funny how people complain about the phone size because of screen size even if they are ok with a phone that size if the screen is smaller so that it has a gaping bezel.

You also have to remember that Samsung has given it some new, unique, and brand spanking only to S3 software feats as well. Much improved 12MP cam woulda been nice, but the 8MP is plenty for most and is greatly improved. Samsung has been top dog in cams for a long time only truly rivaled by Nokia(I know what people and reviews say I speak from actual picture samples).

All this with 64GB + 64GB card, 2100MAH(though still wish for Lithium Polymers one day) and luckily still hardware buttons(also a very smart move on Samsung..I do not believe phones are close to truly jumping to no buttons because no software is perfect and these are still early stages for such things and the use a physical button can most likely never truly be out done) brings an amazing device. It's not what it could've been or was hyped to be(kick Sammy) but still beautiful.

jim93
Old
(Last edited by jim93; 5th May 2012 at 05:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 340

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
This is just plain wrong information.
If you write a program it is going to run sequentialy on a single core unless you thread it. Even when you thread you get a loss of performance due to synchronization overhead. Most programs are not written to run on more than one core because this requires more work .

The advantage of a quad core is that one can run more instances of a single threaded program but in mobile this is easier said than done hence why you wont see a mind blowing difference by cramming a quadcore in it and if you are keeping cost fixed you will see a decrease in performance in single threaded applications because you get more individual clock speed per core per dollar on less cores

Now could you explain why it is just plain wrong?
The Following User Says Thank You to jim93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

s1lenz
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkangels6sic6 View Post

[url]I do not believe phones are close to truly jumping to no buttons because no software is perfect and these are still early stages for such things and the use a physical button can most likely never truly be out done) brings an amazing device. It's not what it could've been or was hyped to be(kick Sammy) but still beautiful.
what? ive never heard anybody complain about galaxy nexus buttons being buggy. This is outdated crap i have no idea why samsung, htc, and all the other manufacturers kept the button for their ics phones.

iwasblown
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killbynature View Post
Once again tmobile doesn't use standard frequencies. This is exactly why the processor was switch out. In the galaxy s2 in the first place hspa+21 and it would only get edge if you had the international version on tmobile. Tmobile will need to do the this again unless they finish re framing to get 1900 bands workings or switch out the processor for a capable one to do high speed hspa+ 42 or lte.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
And it seems like tmobile get all the best spec phones too also

iwasblown
Old
Thanks Meter 63
You do rwalize that 42mbps is 42000 bits per second. It actually ends uo being more than five megabytes a second at full speed, and if anybody is getting that hooray for the marbles that Tmobile has, other than that, no one will get over 20 mbps or 20000 bits per second, or just to say 2.4 megabytes per second right now I want to be poved wrong, but how?

zander21510
Old
Thanks Meter 104
About the Gnexus screen buttons...why would you waste expensive screen real estate for 3 white buttons served just fine by black plastic and a white backlight before?? Menu, home and back are neccesary for android IMO, makes it a true techie phone, unlike iOS where every back button (if it exists) is in a different spot and god forbit they give you an easy way to reach a menu/settings from within the program...no you have to back out, goto the main settings screen and set it there, if the settings even exist :P.
Google Nexus 5 w/CM11 Official Nightly
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 w/CM11 Unofficial Nightly

Saxysaxplayer
Old
Thanks Meter 9
People expected the GSIII the be a big leap in tech?

I actually think the design is pretty nice... wish they had a black model though.

The only thing I really expected to be different was a higher resolution and lack of pentile, other than that, the GSIII is bringing new things to Android.

We can't really have PC like specs on ones atm, we're already pushing with quad core processors and 1gb+ ram. The big leap in specs like we had GS to the GSII just can't really happen anymore. For the next few "generations" of phones, I'm really expecting more of a focus on software and features, rather than hardware and specs. Because all those specs really mean nothing if we don't have the software features to make it standout. That's why iPhones are popular (to an extent), and if we really want Samsung to take over iPhones then we have to focus more of software.

Besides, most people won't even care about most of the specs. I think most people look at: 1. ffc, 2. camera resolution, 3. screen size (not type) and 4. Android version.

We have our "Siri" and the HTC camera features, and even NEW features.

The only thing I'm worried about is that some of those new feature are really gimmicky and just completely doesn't work in real world applications. Besides that the GSIII WILL be popular, and a lot of us WILL get it.

narlynarwhal
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
About the Gnexus screen buttons...why would you waste expensive screen real estate for 3 white buttons served just fine by black plastic and a white backlight before?? Menu, home and back are neccesary for android IMO, makes it a true techie phone, unlike iOS where every back button (if it exists) is in a different spot and god forbit they give you an easy way to reach a menu/settings from within the program...no you have to back out, goto the main settings screen and set it there, if the settings even exist :P.
I agree completely. And I dont know about anyone else here, but I prefer my buttons to be stationary.