5,605,835 Members 48,058 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why haven't you changed phone yet?

Tip us?

Sensamic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default Why haven't you changed phone yet?

Curious to see why all fellow members haven't changed from their SGS3 to a newer phone.

In my case, I still haven't found a phone that is at least 2x superior in every aspect. The SGS3 still has a very good camera, big HD screen, 1080P video recording, lots of storage (48GB in mine), Android 4.3, etc.

I tried the Nexus 5 recently but ended returning it. The vibration and Wi-Fi signal were very weak. They were worse than on my SGS3. Also had the microphone audio problem when recording videos. Screen was great. Camera was worse than my SGS3. The overall tone and colors were darker and pictures were a downgrade. I'm still amazed at the picture quality of my SGS3. It takes great pictures, and I like having the peace of mind of having enough storage to shoot 100 minutes of 1080P video (I do record a LOT of videos using my phone).

Also battery on the Nexus 5 is not such a big improvement. It's better, but I would have preferred to upgrade to 3000 battery and maybe a 13Mpx camera.

Only thing I dislike of my SGS3 is the speed animation and fluidity. Animations are not consistent. I tried turning animations off but don't like it either. I've also tried CM11 and it's good, but still animations are not 100% consistent and quick.

So what about all of you? Why are you still using your SGS3 and haven't upgrade?

I will wait for SGS5 and LG G3.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sensamic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Egorych
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamic View Post
Curious to see why all fellow members haven't changed from their SGS3 to a newer phone.

In my case, I still haven't found a phone that is at least 2x superior in every aspect. The SGS3 still has a very good camera, big HD screen, 1080P video recording, lots of storage (48GB in mine), Android 4.3, etc.

I tried the Nexus 5 recently but ended returning it. The vibration and Wi-Fi signal were very weak. They were worse than on my SGS3. Also had the microphone audio problem when recording videos. Screen was great. Camera was worse than my SGS3. The overall tone and colors were darker and pictures were a downgrade. I'm still amazed at the picture quality of my SGS3. It takes great pictures, and I like having the peace of mind of having enough storage to shoot 100 minutes of 1080P video (I do record a LOT of videos using my phone).

Also battery on the Nexus 5 is not such a big improvement. It's better, but I would have preferred to upgrade to 3000 battery and maybe a 13Mpx camera.

Only thing I dislike of my SGS3 is the speed animation and fluidity. Animations are not consistent. I tried turning animations off but don't like it either. I've also tried CM11 and it's good, but still animations are not 100% consistent and quick.

So what about all of you? Why are you still using your SGS3 and haven't upgrade?

I will wait for SGS5 and LG G3.
I've paid 600 for my s3... And the next time im gonna paid so much money for a smartphone it must be the ultimate high end smartphone.. At the moment there is no Phone i would buy.. Maybe Note 3 But better wait for s5.... And i defenitly stay on Samsung.. Best Displays for.. Hardware is top.. Only the Software could be better.. And if you drop ur smartphone often u gonna like the plastic .. Also Samsung is the Only one Who still bring update for a 2 years old device.. (Google too But dont like their devices.).. So I am Lucky with my s3.. Still Stock Sammy look and firmware... No issues with the Phone even i have an insane Chip..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Egorych For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gvmiguez
Old
(Last edited by gvmiguez; 15th January 2014 at 11:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Because it's still being a very good option comparing it with other phones. I will wait for S5 or a Nexus.....

delsus
Old
Thanks Meter 805
I'm still locked in my contract until June, also there's nothing that exciting right now.

In June the S5 will probably be out, but I'm reluctant to buy Samsung again with the Knox BS, so I'll see what I can get.
Device: Samsung Galaxy S3.

ROM: Whatever I feel like at any one time

Kernel: Please see above

AES256thetic
Old
(Last edited by AES256thetic; 16th January 2014 at 01:55 AM.) Reason: wrong title
Thanks Meter 5
Default It's a solid device

Like other posters said, the performance gap between an S3 and say a Nexus 5 isn't really enough to justify a new expensive handset. I'll reconsider later in the year when the Nexus 6 is announced.

The replaceable battery and SD card have really made a difference that I didn't expect (I only got the S3 as an insurance replacement for Nexus 4). It would be hard to give them up.

The S3 is still very popular worldwide so there is a solid dev scene - example OmniROM - which means I don't really miss out too much on a Nexus device.

connta
Old
Thanks Meter 16
i dont like the direction phones are being designed, everyone is putting HD or UHD screens on phones (read: overkill), faster hardware to match, most getting too big also, battery usually stays the same in terms of how much you can actually use your phone...

would only wish for lil more horsepower on s3 gpu and it would be a perfect phone

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 562
S3 could be the successor to the HD2, nearly 5 years old and still being developed.

As many people updating to the S4 find, it's no fun owning one on your own -developer support is everything and the S3 has such a huge user base

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

mrkizy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
No money to afford it

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

gematsu
Old
Thanks Meter 1
here in brazil phones are very expensive

Mafioso
Old
(Last edited by Mafioso; 16th January 2014 at 10:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 79
Because I paid 40k (indian rupees) for it

Anyway the device is still pretty solid overall with no major limitations and awesome dev support. I think i will consider upgrading it when Note 4 comes, I will buy the, then cheaper Note 3

Scan my Avatar to reveal the secret message