How to fix - E:failed to mount /efs (Invalid argument)

Search This thread

yemkoid

Apr 20, 2013
Something went wrong with my s6 g920f, am having only 4gig of internal storage after i try to flash stock fw not knowing auto repartition has being checked. Device wont boot after first samsung s6 logo and life endless blank screen with led flashing blue fading. Am still able to boot to download mode and twrp(always with failed to mount sbfs), flashing stock fw again and boot to recovery i get E: failed to mount /efs (invalid argument)

arregnelle

Nov 28, 2015
i have a similar problem. any insight would be appreciated.
so using efs professional I cleared my efs folder. now my phone is stock on tmobile logo. i do have a efs.img backup. i have tried to flash my efs on odin but i need a tar.gz file.
i have tried to flash twrp, but then it wont boot into recovery. i'd appreciate any help.
my phone is a gt928t btw...

HASH

Apr 11, 2016
KØÇ#!
My phone was dead due to unknown reason. It was very slow for last couple of days, so I reboot the phone into recovery and then wipe cache and dalvik. After the wipe I reboot the phone but it stuck on Samsung logo. So I tried different unsuccessful methods like, flash stock ROM, restore efs folder, etc...

After flashing the stock ROM, rebooted the phone into recovery for factory reset, then only I noticed the error E:failed to mount /efs (Invalid argument). If you are on CWM recovery then you may not see this error.

Solution:
Flash an official firmware from sammobile
Flash CWM recovery
Boot into Recovery
Select mount and storage -> mont /system
Connect your phone to PC using USB cable
Open ADB command window and type the following commands
Code:
adb shell
Code:
mke2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
Code:
mount -w -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
Code:
reboot
Now your phone will boot, but it may be in factory mode (ie you can see yellow box showing some ROM information).

Remove factory mode:
There are different methods that we can use to remove factory mode
In my case
1. Installed custom ROM to get root access
2. Instaled kTool
3. Copy the backup of my efs into sdcard (you can use .img or tar file)
4. Open kTool and restore the efs
5. Reboot the phone

* This method is the easiest and safest method because when you are getting the efs mount error there is a chance of loosing your IMEI and some other files, in that situation the following methods will not work.

OR

1. Root your phone (Either root manually or install a custom ROM)
2. Install ES File Explorer
3. Open ES File Explorer and turn on Root Explorer
4. Navigate to /efs folder
5. Open factorymode as txt in ES Note Editor
6. Change it from OFF to ON and save
7. Reboot your phone

OR

2. Install Terminal Emulator
3. Run the following commands
Code:
su
rm /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
rm /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
reboot

my device is galaxy core prime duos
i have lost my imei ..its showing 0000000 something like that. i dont have any efs backup
can i solve this problem with any of the above methods
please help......

ZRK_NanDRD

Jan 18, 2016
Johannesburg
Hi guys, I'm trying to recovery my efs as my S3 i9300 won't get past boot screen, I've download all the necessary files, installed adb.exe perfectly but,now when I try & run the

C:\User\mojova gazlonjita> adb shell

This is what I get

'Adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

What am I missing or getting wrong? Please help

Laptop HP
Windows 8.1

arsham1366

Jun 4, 2014
mashhad
flash android 4.3 (4 part and check repartition) with odin
1-phone connect to pc
2-z3X Box connect to pc
3-install all driver z3x and phone on pc
4-enable usb debug on developer tab settings phone
5-open shell application(z3x program) on pc and select model phone
6-click repair bottom and check reset efs and baseband .please wait and reboot
7-click again rapair bottom to check repair and imei ,s/n,base band .input imei serial number and baseband .please wait and reboot
ok fix problem

exe98123q

Jun 4, 2016
if i want format/re create, i use in twrp terminal
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p*
* yours partition
work with all partitions

Last edited:

T-Bonne

Oct 12, 2016
I have the same problem on my Galaxy S6 Edge G925I not have backup of EFS and already spent ROM stock several times but always from the error E: failed to mount / efs, already tried the methods I've seen here but it did not work, just need a backup EFS made in TWRP

Aleefa

Dec 20, 2016
Thanks OP, I just recovered my S3 moments ago, followed yr instructions to the T:D:D:D:D,
My original imei intact, albeit booted to safe mode, just turn to ON in root explorer and all system back to normal. Thanks again

EDIT: Just for info I install philz_touch_4.00-b21-i9305-fixed_Ported_By_ausdim.tar.md
and i did not mount system.

Hi guys i have the same problem with my i9300 plz help...

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Plz help guys...my i9300 is soft bricked... Failed to mount efs...i checked my efs folder via twrp nd its empty...phone is stuck at boot...tryd installimg custom roms...not working...:crying:

T-Bonne

Oct 12, 2016
I managed to hide the problem by changing the IMEI mask using an xposed module and because of that I was able to make an exchange, switch on a Galaxy S6 Flat SM-G920I. The guy who gave me the S6 Flat did not even know I had a problem with the IMEI, I did not tell him, I laugh a lot every time I remember it ????

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

Now I'm happy with my Galaxy S6 Flat, no problem, and now the first thing I did after root was the backup of the modem and the EFS, just in case

leandroyata07

Feb 24, 2012
I solved my issue, installing via Odin the international recovery stock. After install, give the wipes e reboot it. Ready. The system startup normally.

Sorry my bad english.

khaledalaa

Feb 7, 2017
I solved my issue, installing via Odin the international recovery stock. After install, give the wipes e reboot it. Ready. The system startup normally.

Sorry my bad english.

I have unrooted galaxy s3 Failed to mount/cache, can I use your methoed to fix it and startup normally,
I don't want to lose any data of devies is that possible??

please help me, I don't care to root the phone I just need my data :( :(

waiting your answer :(

pbazw

May 23, 2009
OnePlus 7 Pro
Dead s6 flat

I have a s6 that will only boot to t-mobile screen ,I tried the steps here but the first code is not found and it appears no Su. I loaded original firmware , is this a lost s6?
thanks in advance for any help

racail333

Mar 13, 2015
Unrooted GT-I930 E:failed to mount /efs, /system etc

Okay, I have the same problem and am looking for a different solution than the ones already mentioned. My unrooted, untampered-with S3 (GT-I9300) randomly got stuck in a boot loop yesterday and I haven't been able to fix it yet. I can get to the Recovery page and get the same E: failed to mount notifications (failed to mount /efs (no such file or directory); failed to mount /system (no such file or directory); failed to mount /cache (no such file or directory); can't mount /cache/recovery/last-recovery; failed to mount /data; et cetera). I first tried wiping the cache partition and tried to reboot the system; when that didn't work, I did a factory reset and tried to reboot - it's still not working. I've been charging my batteries with an external charger for a couple weeks now because my phone's USB port is faulty (not connecting well, I think - when I push the USB-charger all the way in and hold it in a certain way, it charges, but it stops doing so as soon as I let go), so I don't think trying Odin is my best/easiest option right now.

I can connect my external SD-card card to my computer fine, so I'm downloading the stock ROM atm and will try to c/p it to the SD-card. Am I right in assuming I need to put it in the phone, enter Recovery mode and then try '"Apply update from external storage"?

Is there anything else I should do? Any options that don't involve connecting the phone to the computer?

Last edited:

Mosiur420

May 19, 2017
Is there any error while running this command

Follow this. It should help. I discovered it from various source.
How to Solve can mount /efs
1. Download any recovery twrp or cwm recovery on your phone.
2. If ddi: mmc_read fail show up then Select T flash on odin 3.09 and install recovery on memory card.
3. For my case, I couldn’t flash stock firmware with odin. SO, i flushed twrp on my microsd card. If you having firmware problem go here my another post --- ( https://xdaforums.com/note-4-tmobil...-error-fix-t3434335/post72354317#post72354317 ) You can flash firmware through twrp. Forget about odin once you have twrp. For me odin still doesnt work.
4. I tried with everything online. Didn’t work.
5. Now do the steps I Say to remove this can mount /efs error.
6. Once you installed recovery mode, setup adb from online.
7. Open adb folder in your computer and press shift and click the right side of mouse. There you will see open command prompt here.
8. Click on it
9. Type adv devices
10. If it says some random number and digits and recovery on other side then you are in the right track.
11. If it doesn’t say this then install your drivers
12. Now type these commands

adb shell
su
cd /dev/block/platform
ls
cd dw_mmc (for me it was dw.msdcc.1 something like that, so don’t forget to change it on here )
ls
cd by-name
ll ( for me this didn’t work so I put “ls -l”)
mke2fs /dev/block/.....(lastly what ever says cant mount /efs, system, catch just put the code in here. Code should be like mmcblk0p13. Not same for everyone)
mount -w -t ext4 /dev/block/.....(paste the same could here too)
(If you have multiple problem like system, catch and efs cant mount. Do one at a time. )
reboot

Hope this help. like share
watch this video it will help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-LZvVLEC5o

srdryl

Nov 10, 2011
Samsung Galaxy A51
Senior Member1,118 posts Thanks: 47

Hi can anyone plz help with my EFS error I been asking in other forums but I'm not getting any helpful responses so I'm asking here here's where I am with my progress...
I hope you can help......I have this ERROR & I tried several ways to fix it Running the EFS Professional.exe as Administrator.....& it keeps telling me I don't have enough storage & I deleted a bunch of apps & data from phone /sd but I keep getting this error unable to back up certain partitions
dd:writing'/sdcarrd efsprobackup/temp/userdata no space left on device
887462+0records in
887461+0records out
363504025 btes (3.4gb) copied,94,239635 seconds,36.8 MB/s
exitcode=1
now I tried odin method & it says invalid binary,......plz assist.......I tried flashing firmware N910TUVS2EQB1_N910TTMB2EQB1_N910TU VS2EQB1_HOME.tar.md5 bl/cp but it didn't work

mattman1978

Aug 18, 2017
Fixed my efs. I had a backup, but the backup didn't "fix" it. TWRP wouldn't load it. Can't remember the error. So, I used Odin to DELETE the EFS and then re-loaded it using TWRP backup. Worked like a charm! I believe it had something to do with permissions. Oh, I clicked format as well in Odin. Samsung galaxy grand prime. I'm sure if you have a backup, the same would probably work on any Samsung phone. MUST HAVE BACKUP!

Jô$èph D

Jan 5, 2016
OnePlus 8
My phone was dead due to unknown reason. It was very slow for last couple of days, so I reboot the phone into recovery and then wipe cache and dalvik. After the wipe I reboot the phone but it stuck on Samsung logo. So I tried different unsuccessful methods like, flash stock ROM, restore efs folder, etc...

After flashing the stock ROM, rebooted the phone into recovery for factory reset, then only I noticed the error E:failed to mount /efs (Invalid argument). If you are on CWM recovery then you may not see this error.

Solution:
Flash CWM recovery
Boot into Recovery
Code:
adb shell
Code:
Code:
Code:
reboot
Now your phone will boot, but it may be in factory mode (ie you can see yellow box showing some ROM information).

Remove factory mode:
In my case
2. Instaled kTool
5. Reboot the phone

* This method is the easiest and safest method because when you are getting the efs mount error there is a chance of loosing your IMEI and some other files, in that situation the following methods will not work.

OR

7. Reboot your phone

OR

Code:
su
reboot

you are a lifesaver

Reactions: anukilimanoor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Solution:
    Flash CWM recovery
    Boot into Recovery
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    reboot

Remove factory mode:
    In my case
    2. Instaled kTool
    5. Reboot the phone

OR

7. Reboot your phone

OR

Code:
    su
    reboot
    I can't find factorymode in efs folder.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Are you able to boot the phone?

Hi,

my GT-I9300 is stucked at Samsung Boot Logo. When I start the phone in recovery mode it shows e:failed to mount /efs (Invalid argument).
    I have no efs or any other backup....
    Tried to flash stock rom with odin but it doesnt work.....

Does your soloution work in my case?
    Do you have any other soloutions for me? I´m reading XDA threads since hours....

Try the other option and see the imei. If it is ok then no need to restore it.
    i did it but i have this issue when inputing "mount -w -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3"
    It says "mount: can´t find /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 in /etc/fstab"

Please, save my day.

same with me too, pls save my day

Edit: so in the command window, last line of code after running

i got :

The filesystem will be automatically checked every 35 mounts or 180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

So in the code:

I replaced -w and -t with -c and -i respectively.

Note: -c and -i was pulled from:

The filesystem will be automatically checked every 35 mounts or 180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.

reboot

Boom! it worked.
    DONT FOEGET TO HIT THE THANKS BUTTON

Solution:
    Flash CWM recovery
    Boot into Recovery
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    reboot

Remove factory mode:
    In my case
    2. Instaled kTool
    5. Reboot the phone

OR

7. Reboot your phone

OR

Code:
    su
    reboot
    Hi,

my GT-I9300 is stucked at Samsung Boot Logo. When I start the phone in recovery mode it shows e:failed to mount /efs (Invalid argument).
    I have no efs or any other backup....
    Tried to flash stock rom with odin but it doesnt work.....

Does your soloution work in my case?
    Do you have any other soloutions for me? I´m reading XDA threads since hours....
    Hi nk33,

I cant start up in any mode. No vibration at all as well. But i can feel my phone heats up a little when i leave it for a while after trying to enter any mode. Any ideas?

Thats wierd. If I had to guess I would say your display is gone. Obviously your phone is stuck in bootloop.

I was going to say I had the same issue on my S4. You have to get to download mode first though to fix the issue. After that you can flash twrp and then instal CM 11. Its the only ROM which works if your phone has this mount error.

Not sure if you can test your display by using and hdmi adapter to the tv to see if you get anything? Just to confirm if it is the display…?

Sent from my SM-G925F using XDA Free mobile app