Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

pewpewbangbang

Feb 13, 2010
Ann Arbor & NYC
They missed the superior contrast of the amoleds, way more important than the pixel-count

Pretty spot on for the most part.....ehh coming from the samoled hd. The difference in contrast is there, but a lot smaller with the new slcd2 display. Easily the best IPs display I've used on a phone.
Colors are just as vibrant as the samoled almost, but blacks are still deeper on samoled.

The RGB vs pentile is noticeable side by side just like every other trait but both are great and during individual use you wouldn't notice the pentile.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Basil3

Inactive Recognized Themer
Apr 4, 2008
Dublin
They missed the superior contrast of the amoleds, way more important than the pixel-count

Well the contrast ratio of the one x is so good now, that the whole 'blacker blacks' thing is a non issue. On the flip side, sgs3 screen is so good that the pixel count isn't an issue either.

As always, it will be what is most important to you.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
It doesn't involve the S3, but this is a fun little diversion - 4-way camera shootout HOX Vs Note (basically same as the S2, should start to give an idea of how the HOX will be Vs the S3) Vs iPhone 4S Vs Standalone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/TelecomTech/8112

Make sure to send your votes through on the blind shoot out, and remember don't comment on the photos in the shoot out in the comments section!

Reactions: limeaid

Mafiatounes

I'm selling my HOX tomorrow, the experience has been bad (stock) most apps have the menu bar wich is so annoying i'm selling the device only for that reason, i know the S3 will be better for my needs overal in terms of apps, battery life and i think i might like this version of touchjizz:)

Sent from my Quad Core Monster the HTC One X using Tapatalk v 2

cba1986

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in Buenos Aires
What do you see coming to or happening to the Android platform over the next twelve months that's going make the SGS3's additional GPU power meaningful in everyday use on a 4.8" display? The entire app world was supposed to be reinvented to take advantage of h/w acceleration in ICS and adoption is 6% after six months on the market. And the number of optimized (not updated) apps is pretty slim. I'd feel fine about the future with a Exynos Quad, S4, or Teg3 device. I had a car with a top speed of 180MPH. In the 18 months I owned it I may have broken 90 MPH once. And that I could have done with a rented Chevy Impala. So I obviously didn't need a car with a 180MPH top speed although it looked fantastic on paper.

Good example. But this is what people will be using the SGS3's GPU for. For these tasks the SGS2's GPU was overkill.

Barry is not only how fast your car can go. It's how and how much fuel it consumes to do it. :)

pewpewbangbang

Feb 13, 2010
Ann Arbor & NYC
Barry is not only how fast your car can go. It's how and how much fuel it consumes to do it. :)

And all the quad cores have bad fuel consumption at that. They are never running all 4 cores in any situation besides playing an intensive game. So core for core and fuel consumption wise, krait smokes both tegra 3 and exynos quad.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

The problem with the One X isn't how much fuel it consumes, it's the size of its tank. When you adjust for the SGS3's 16% larger battery, the Teg3 One X actually does better than the SGS3 in 3G calling and web browsing (nothing touches AMOLED for video playback). But that doesn't help if you run out of gas before you reach your destination. ;)

Lucasm93

Feb 28, 2011
And all the quad cores have bad fuel consumption at that. They are never running all 4 cores in any situation besides playing an intensive game. So core for core and fuel consumption wise, krait smokes both tegra 3 and exynos quad.

pewpew you keep comparing the performance of core for core, but they are not single core phones.
The S4 Krait cores does not smokes anyone. It may be better "core for core" but the Exynos chip beats it, get over it. In battery wise, you are comparing a situation where you have only the chips. That's not real life. The SGS3 has a bigger battery so it will last longer, that's what truly matters.
The HOX has been out there for a while now, and the battery life improvments produced by OTA updates from HTC are already not signifficant anymore.
SGS3 is not even out yet, so it's likely that it will improve a little, like the HOX did.

---
In the battery tests, saying that the AT&T HOX has 4g which consumes more battery as an excuse is ridiculously nonsense, since the 4g was never used, duh.
(not at you pewpew)

cba1986

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in Buenos Aires
The bottom line here is that. No matter how many cores you got if they are poor implemented the performance and the autonomy will be bad.
Let's face it, Samsung did a better job optimizing their soft around the Exynos.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
pewpew you keep comparing the performance of core for core, but they are not single core phones.
The S4 Krait cores does not smokes anyone. It may be better "core for core" but the Exynos chip beats it, get over it. In battery wise, you are comparing a situation where you have only the chips. That's not real life. The SGS3 has a bigger battery so it will last longer, that's what truly matters.
The HOX has been out there for a while now, and the battery life improvments produced by OTA updates from HTC are already not signifficant anymore.
SGS3 is not even out yet, so it's likely that it will improve a little, like the HOX did.

---
In the battery tests, saying that the AT&T HOX has 4g which consumes more battery as an excuse is ridiculously nonsense, since the 4g was never used, duh.
(not at you pewpew)

I kinda agree a little, yes Krait is faster core for core but you have to compare the whole SoC and Samsung exynos is obviously very powerful and highly optimized. It will give you the best performance with what you're using.

tylerdurdin

Sep 30, 2010
New York

In theory...yes.....actuality .....no. Similar arguments were made when the SGS2 came out... Gingerbread ain't optimized....blah blah blah ....second core is just using battery blah blah blah....this was not the case as it was hands down the fastest phone out and battery life was great. Apps written to take advantage of additional cores will and overall this phone should use less power in the processing dept. On the other hand...as previously posted the death of this phone is the oodles of endless running BS....I am going to love debloating this thing.

killing is my business, And business is good.

thegregulator

Dec 6, 2010
Vancouver
If the Galaxy S3 screen is anything like the Nexus then the One X trumps it. I've always been a big fan of samoled displays, but the screen on the One X is phenomenal. People can say all they want that it's a personal preference as to what screen technology you like better. At the end of the day, I've seen more reviews claim the One X screen is better.

However, apart from the build materials and style, that's about all the One X has going for it over the GS3, in my opinion anyways. I've pre ordered the GS3. I look forward to comparing these two in depth.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

pewpewbangbang

Feb 13, 2010
Ann Arbor & NYC
In theory...yes.....actuality .....no. Similar arguments were made when the SGS2 came out... Gingerbread ain't optimized....blah blah blah ....second core is just using battery blah blah blah....this was not the case as it was hands down the fastest phone out and battery life was great. Apps written to take advantage of additional cores will and overall this phone should use less power in the processing dept. On the other hand...as previously posted the death of this phone is the oodles of endless running BS....I am going to love debloating this thing.

killing is my business, And business is good.

Dual core vs quad core is a pretty big difference. Crap wasn't really running smoothly with one core in the first place. Once dual core came along all changed. I have yet to use an app that uses more than two cores and isn't fast and utterly smooth. Maybe navigation and maps etc...will use more cores (haven't checked) but that's about it besides high intensive games.

As for core for core....you guys do know what it means right? The two core krait is keeping up perfectly fine with quad cores beating it in some benchmarks. As for soc as a whole, krait is still one of the best besides the gpu department where exynos>tegra>krait. The new architecture and fabrication process is a generational leap over cortex a9 there's no denying its a lot faster. When a15 drops it will be even faster than krait core for core which is utterly insane most likely surpassing the quad cores in everything.

As for battery life....have you seen anandtech compare both the intl hox vs att. 3g only according to anandtechs web browser test. The att one x does over 9 hours from 100-0% while the intl does 6-7. That's the type of battery difference new architecture and smaller fabrication brings.

Just don't expect to be tapping into those 2 extra cores unless your playing a game.

By optimization, it will be software being optimized to run on 1-2 cores.....not the hardware being optimised for software.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The bottom line here is that. No matter how many cores you got if they are poor implemented the performance and the autonomy will be bad.

I'd totally agree that Samsung does an incredible job tuning the s/w for the h/w from a sheer performance perspective. Look at phones from HTC and Samsung that used identical S3 chips. Samsung's phones always performed better. But if you're talking about battery performance (vs. battery life) both S4 and Teg3 One X's beat the SGS3 on web browsing and 3G calling; the S4 pretty handily. SAMOLED kills on video playback but that's not about the SoC or s/w, that's about lower energy draw on dark colors.

3G Calling (adjusted for battery size)

One X [S4] - (12:27 Hours) 10:35 Hours
One X ([Teg3] - (11:54 Hours) 9:57 Hours
SGS3 - 10:20 Hours

Web Browsing (adjusted for battery size)

One X [S4]- (6:25 Hours) 5:03 Hours
One X [Teg3] - (5:39 Hours) 4:18 Hours
SGS3 - 5:17 Hours

So from a battery consumption stand point the SGS3 draws more power than both S4 and Teg3 versions of the One X on a standardized test for those two functions. I'm assuming that GSMArena left any s/w installed by the manufacturer preset to "on" still running during the tests. In the SGS3's case you could probably get better battery life by disabling some of the non-essential features like S-Voice always listening. So either Exynos is using more power than the other two chips or what Samsung's running in the background is tapping the battery. This is of course useless in real life as the One X has a fixed battery that’s 16% smaller than the SGS3’s so the SGS3 will still win in battery life. But whether from HTC's tuning or the performance of S4 and Teg3 both One X's do well at battery consumption. It’ll be interesting to see what peoples real-world experiences are once the SGS3's released.

Gene_Bailey

Sep 10, 2010
Temple
Dual core vs quad core is a pretty big difference. Crap wasn't really running smoothly with one core in the first place. Once dual core came along all changed. I have yet to use an app that uses more than two cores and isn't fast and utterly smooth. Maybe navigation and maps etc...will use more cores (haven't checked) but that's about it besides high intensive games.

As for core for core....you guys do know what it means right? The two core krait is keeping up perfectly fine with quad cores beating it in some benchmarks. As for soc as a whole, krait is still one of the best besides the gpu department where exynos>tegra>krait. The new architecture and fabrication process is a generational leap over cortex a9 there's no denying its a lot faster. When a15 drops it will be even faster than krait core for core which is utterly insane most likely surpassing the quad cores in everything.

As for battery life....have you seen anandtech compare both the intl hox vs att. 3g only according to anandtechs web browser test. The att one x does over 9 hours from 100-0% while the intl does 6-7. That's the type of battery difference new architecture and smaller fabrication brings.

Just don't expect to be tapping into those 2 extra cores unless your playing a game.

By optimization, it will be software being optimized to run on 1-2 cores.....not the hardware being optimised for software.

While no doubt the processor architecture has a part to play in the Web browsing test, I think that the screen tech being used is more so. Web browsing isn't very cpu intensive. Flash video is but they didn't state they were running flash and I don't think they were either. When just going from Web Page to Web Page continuously the biggest drain on the battery is the effort to keep the screen on. And if your not using the setting in the browser to invert from black text on a white page to white text on a black page of course AMOLED is going to drain a battery faster. I would love to see that test with the AMOLED browsing inverted as that's how I normally have mine. I would bet money that the browsing time would increase a few hours.

*edit*

In fact I would love to see a battery life test against a HOX and an SGSIII with both running Kindle inverted white text on black background with the screen timeout shut off. I think that would really settle this who which battery lasts the longest.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

pewpewbangbang

Feb 13, 2010
Ann Arbor & NYC
While no doubt the processor architecture has a part to play in the Web browsing test, I think that the screen tech being used is more so. Web browsing isn't very cpu intensive. Flash video is but they didn't state they were running flash and I don't think they were either. When just going from Web Page to Web Page continuously the biggest drain on the battery is the effort to keep the screen on. And if your not using the setting in the browser to invert from black text on a white page to white text on a black page of course AMOLED is going to drain a battery faster. I would love to see that test with the AMOLED browsing inverted as that's how I normally have mine. I would bet money that the browsing time would increase a few hours.

*edit*

In fact I would love to see a battery life test against a HOX and an SGSIII with both running Kindle inverted white text on black background with the screen timeout shut off. I think that would really settle this who which battery lasts the longest.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

ermm I was talkin bout AT&T One X vs Int'l One X. Not SAMOLED vs SLCD2, where SLCD2 clearly will do better in web browsing by sheer technology. Yea if you inverted the colors, SAMOLED will obv kill with everything being black basically and no pixels on. But thats a different story because no one would ever do that, since in web browser if you do it. Nothing is displayed correctly and it's just annoying. I tried it out on my Galaxy Nexus and it was not pleasing at all.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I would love to see that test with the AMOLED browsing inverted as that's how I normally have mine. I would bet money that the browsing time would increase a few hours.

But it is what it is. SAMOLED draws more power than an LCD on light colors and less on dark colors. The composition of something like web browsing is very biased toward lighter colors. So someone doing the same thing on both phones would get the results stated. Inverting the colors of web pages would yield an incredible result but that's not what 99% of the people using the phone will be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh Barry is back. I thought you either disappeared or got banned :D

Banned? I piss people off some times but always try to do it in good taste. ;)

I was traveling for the past couple of weeks so haven't had time to keep up with the boards. Not much has changed. I did get to use a demo DoCoMo SGS3 for a couple of days while I was in Japan. It's spec'd similarly to the U.S. variants so I'd imagine it performs similarly too. It wasn't a production device but still seemed to perform well. After using it as a daily driver for two days this is why I’m keeping the One X:

- I like Sense better than TW4. Social integration, e-mail, MMS, the stock music player, and things like the productivity lock screen are some of the big pluses (to me). I also like the dark on light visuals after living in the black world of TW on the i9100 for eleven months.

- The stock music player is a good example of how thoroughly thought out Sense is. The imbedded tagging is the first I've experienced on a mobile device that gets albums with multiple artists right. It also updates songs and albums with high-res graphics automatically via Gracenote so my library looks spiffy. Sense even allows third party apps like Amazon MP3 to have their controls displayed on the lock screen via the stock app. To go directly to the music player when the device is locked all you need to do is drag it to unlock ring. It also streams via DLNA directly from the app and integrates remote songs with local content. FriendStream and the e-mail/MMS clients are equally well thought out.

- The radios (BT and cellular) on the One X are night and day compared to the S4 SGS3. To connect to multiple cars and networks I had to do nothing to get the One X to work. I had to fiddle with settings and APN's to get the SGS3 to work. It wouldn't connect via A2DP to a Nissan that the One X had no problem with. I've used the One X in about six countries now and whether roaming via my AT&T SIM or using a local one never had an issue registering on a foreign network. My old SGS2 never peformed nearly that well.

- Connecting the SGS3 to a PC to move files to it isn't nearly as fast and easy as HTC's approach to ditching MTP and providing a mass storage option. I didn't time it but moving music and video to the SGS3 seemed to take at least 1/3 to 1/2 more time than the One X.

- The SGS3 looks a lot better in person than I thought it would. The phone I was using though was the old pebble blue with the matching home button. I'm not a fan of the old pebble blue and I still like the design of the One X better. I must have big hands because I didn’t find either phone more or less comfortable to use.

- The browser on the SGS3 was faster but I'm not willing to give up text reflow for speed, especially on a HD display. The HTC browser also has a "read" button that's really cool. It strips out all but text and pictures and makes reading WSJ articles and the like that are long and very text heavy better and easier to read on a mobile device.

- In comparing the displays, I was fine with the SGS3's. PenTile didn't bother me and neither did the representation of blacks. The One X's display is brighter, clearer, and the colors are more natural. Had I not been using a One X I would have been ga ga over the SGS3's display

- S-Voice was hit or miss but it wasn't a killer feature for me anyway. Awake Stay was great when it worked but I wear reading glasses and that really threw it for a loop. Pop Up Play will be great on a tablet but it's a parlor trick on such a small display like the SGS3's. Direct Dial's pretty useless in anything but a text because you still have to manually select the number to call if a contact has multiples as most of mine do.

So, bottom line for me, s/w and design won out over h/w, performance, and benchmarks (I would have gotten Exynos). The only thing that I feel I'll be missing is better battery life and a removable battery. 32GB of storage is fine for me so the expandable storage wasn't ever a hot button. There you have it. ;)
    hi folks, due to the number of 'comparison threads getting out on control we've decided to merge them into one.For all comparisons.

All other threads will be deleted. please keep discussions of the SGS3 and One X here.

before you start please take the time to read and understand the following:

2. Member conduct.

2.1 Language: XDA is a worldwide community. As a result what is ‘ok’ to say in your part of the world may not be ok in someone else’s part of the world. Please think about who is reading what you write. Keep in mind that what you think of as acceptable use of language may not be acceptable to others. Conversely, while reading member posts, remember that word you find offensive may not be to the writer. Tolerance is a two way street.

2.2 Nudity: XDA is used by people of all ages, including minors. It's not acceptable to post nude/pornographic imagery, which includes exposure of the male or female genitalia or of female breasts.

2.3 Flaming: XDA was founded as a group of people sharing information about certain mobile phones. Sharing does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) it does involve working together to solve problems in an environment of mutual respect and understanding. Losing your temper and flaming another member, or group of members, is not acceptable behavior.

2.4 Personal attacks, racial, political and/or religious discussions: XDA is a discussion forum about certain mobile phones. Mobile phones are not racial, political, religious or personally offensive, therefore none of these types of discussions are permitted on XDA.

2.5 Courtesy towards other Members: Treat new members the way you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instruction when you can and always with respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

2.6 All members are expected to read and adhere to the XDA rules.

We've no issue with legitimate discussion but we won't tolerate flaming, trolling or abuse of any kind.

We will infract anyone who breaks the rules and this may result in bans

regards

Moderator team
    And thats all folks, it seems my last warnings to stay on topic and not keep trolling with nonsense have been ignored.

Thread closed, it was dead a long time ago, RIP.
    People like you make me lose faith in mankind. Where in my posts does it make me look like a fanboy. I've had the past 3 samsungs and loved them.

I said clearly in the post IMO capitalized the design is ugly. Obv everyone won't feel the same.

Im making valid scientific comparisons and based off me having had the galaxy nexus and galaxy s II as well as original galaxy s. I thought I hit all the right points. Samsung software and soc is better, HTC software sucks. Does that sound like a fanboy?

Take your ignorant bashing posts elsewhere.

Have you held and compare the one x with something like the galaxy nexus. Don't tell me the galaxy nexus feels more high quality because even though its great, plastic is plastic and doesnt feel as nice.

I remember getting a similar answer from you in a different thread, it's just weird to see you being so active on a forum for a phone that you see as inferior, or at least not to your liking... I didn't mean to be a jerk back then but some of your phrasing really sounds like you are making yourself feel better over your purchase. For example: "exynos 4 is faster as well as gpu, but not a humongous difference, nothing noticeable both are more than fast enough for anything out" Why explain? it's faster period. Even the dual core of the S2 is more than enough for pretty much everything on the market so why do you have to downplay it by adding stuff like that?

Both phones are great and have their pros and cons we all know that but right now, the still unoptimized S3 which is not even yet released wins most if not all "hands on" reviews. So it is almost certainly the better phone. The screen is a matter of taste. I prefer AMOLED and I'm saying that as an intermediate photographer... I have my dedicated equipment for "natural" colours and such and I see no use for it on a phone and multimedia device. As far as multimedia goes it looks FAR better on an AMOLED screen for the blacks alone. Not to mention it has a far superior battery life when it comes to that.

HTC seems to aim at the hip, young and "cool" audience where as the galaxy series seems to aim more at the matured audience IMO. Beats audio by "Dr. Dre" and Sense as an indication for that... I can't stand the looks of sense and while TouchWiz will not win any beauty contest it still looks more grown up to me, especially those small changes they did in the app drawer etc.
    definitely HTC One X is my choice
    why?
    1. Software are both customizable, both doesnt matter
    2. Raw power, both have identical processing power
    3. housing, while sgs3 came with plastic material, onex came with polycarbonate (proven to be weather proof as we use it on canopies :D) htc one x is the winner
    4. Camera, Htc one x
    5. Design, htc have more rugged design :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

1. One X isn't S-OFF, so this does matter. A lot.
    2. Raw power - Have you even seen benchmarks?
    3. Housing - Umm... the SGS3 is also polycarbonate... and you know what polycarbonate is? PLASTIC.
    4. Camera - In low light, yes the HOX will win, in good light, SGS3 was better.
    5. Design - questionable, and totally down to the individual.

Now let me add some points:
    Internal memory:
    SGS3 - 16, 32, 64 + Up to 64GB SGXC in exFAT + 50 GB dropbox
    HOX - 32GB (25GB usable) + 25? GB dropbox non expandable
    Battery:
    2100 removable vs 1800 non removable
    Audio:
    Wolfson DAC vs ****ty beats audio marketing ploy