Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,170 Members 48,738 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC One X and Galaxy 3 comparison thread

Tip us?

pewpewbangbang
Old
Thanks Meter 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovex View Post
I completely disagree.

The sensation didnt seem as far behind the S2 initially, but it proved to be so later on. Its just the same here.

The Exynos quad is NOTHING like the T3, its in a different league frankly. Tegra is and always was a dog. The S3 is very future proofed in that regard, if both the HOX and the S3 get jelly bean the S3 will pull even further away. T3 devices are worse than Exynos duals let alone the quad, ignore the benchmarks they dont tell the real life story. As ive said before memory bandwidth is crippling the T3.
And how are you coming to these conclusions?

Trust me, I don't like Tegra 3 but I'd still say it's better than Exynos dual. And how is Exynos Quad so out of the ordinary?

Both are powergated, running cortex-A9, die shrinked with Exynos die shrinked even more. Biggest difference would be GPU but neither will lag on any games.

rovex
Old
Thanks Meter 222
As i said its all in the memory controller. The T3 and the T2 have low bandwidth. The quad exynos has dual channel based on A15 tech, the T3 has single channel A9 tech.

You say the T3 beats the dual Exynos, but only in synthetic benchmarks, and not by that much frankly. Per core its much slower, and its limited memory speed shows sometimes. Ive seen the transformer Prime and the HOX lag in places the Note doesnt, and they all have 720P screens so you cant use that as an excuse.

pewpewbangbang
Old
(Last edited by pewpewbangbang; 20th May 2012 at 05:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 273
Quote:
As i said its all in the memory controller. The T3 and the T2 have low bandwidth. The quad exynos has dual channel based on A15 tech, the T3 has single channel A9 tech.

You say the T3 beats the dual Exynos, but only in synthetic benchmarks, and not by that much frankly. Per core its much slower, and its limited memory speed shows sometimes. Ive seen the transformer Prime and the HOX lag in places the Note doesnt, and they all have 720P screens so you cant use that as an excuse.
Why would I try to make an excuse? lol I'm a fan of Krait this year over all of them.......but where in real life is the memory controller bottlenecking and lagging it?

rovex
Old
Thanks Meter 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpewbangbang View Post
Why would I try to make an excuse? lol I'm a fan of Krait this year over all of them.......but where in real life is the memory controller bottlenecking and lagging it?
Its hurting any multi-threaded operation. You basically have 4 cores trying to push data down a bus thats only fast enough for 2. Its fine for gingerbread or even ICS for the most part, but it wont be for jellybean.

Krait is only a hybrid A9/A15 not a full A15, it wont have much over the quad Exynos in real terms and in some situations will lose out.

pewpewbangbang
Old
Thanks Meter 273
Quote:
Its hurting any multi-threaded operation. You basically have 4 cores trying to push data down a bus thats only fast enough for 2. Its fine for gingerbread or even ICS for the most part, but it wont be for jellybean.

Krait is only a hybrid A9/A15 not a full A15, it wont have much over the quad Exynos in real terms and in some situations will lose out.
Can't say I've experienced any bottleneck issues, as I said.....only 2 cores are active for nearly everything and the case will be the same for Exynos Quad.

In real world usage, Krait is still the best IMO. The performance is on par and better when only using 2 cores while also using less energy and increasing battery.

rovex
Old
Thanks Meter 222
This is exactly why T3 is adequate for ICS, but will struggle with JB. The S3 is designed to be able to multithread in a way that will bring a T3 device to a crawl.

pewpewbangbang
Old
Thanks Meter 273
Quote:
This is exactly why T3 is adequate for ICS, but will struggle with JB. The S3 is designed to be able to multithread in a way that will bring a T3 device to a crawl.
eh i'll probably be switching phones in a few months anyways, and getting the next Nexus again possibly also.

Jellybean gonna take a while to get over to One X and SGS3 anyway as usual.

Gene_Bailey
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
eh i'll probably be switching phones in a few months anyways, and getting the next Nexus again possibly also.

Jellybean gonna take a while to get over to One X and SGS3 anyway as usual.
Actually one of the things I'm excited for in the next nexus is this rumor od a whole bunch of Nexii devices being launched simultaneously. They say that competition will foster innovation right (unless your Apple :P)?

I'm curious as to which SoC's different manufacturers will choose. I'm hoping Samsung will go with that dual core A15 chip we saw a while back. What hardware features would five different manufacturers use to differentiate themselves if the software they ran was exactly the same? Lol I'm very excited for such a thing.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Gene_Bailey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanyong View Post
No. Didn't you watch the video I linked?
Honestly, I didn't before I commented. But I just did. That's not really a test. Neither the browser displaying something light like a Google search with no flash or java, or the PlayStore, which is also a very light app cause a problem on the One X either. Neither app uses enough memory when running to trigger a kill in memory manager. I'd like to see that again with a game in mid-play, CoPilot, YouTube in the middle of playing a 720P+ video, and/or the browser displaying an intensive site like the WSJ. The One X browser refreshes to the last page displayed whether it's recalled from memory or launched fresh which is both stupid and annoying. Otherwise I'd create a similar video. I have no idea what greyhulk did in his testing of the SGS3 to reach his conclusions but, to me, that video isn't a true test of the SGS3's multitasking capabilities. That’ll happen when it’s in people’s hands. Sorry for not viewing the video before posting my original comment. My bad.

Quote:
Trust me, I don't like Tegra 3 but I'd still say it's better than Exynos dual. And how is Exynos Quad so out of the ordinary?
I agree. My ranking of the SoCs/GPUs is as follows:

CPU - Exynos Quad, S4, Teg3
GPU - Mali400+, GeForce, Adreno
Battery Life - S4, Exynos Quad/Teg3 (Tie)

But in anything but benchmarks who cares? The OS and Apps can't use all the power available and the biggest perceivable difference is going to come down to how each manufacturer optimizes the s/w for the h/w. Samsung wins that contest but with all the compensating power available from the chips it's not going to be nearly as noticeable in everyday use as it would have been in a Sensation<>i1900 comparison.

Quote:
I see nothing in the Android world thats going to top the S3.
Sigh. Are you going to run around coffee shops waving your phone at strangers saying "all bow to the king of Android?" To someone who dislikes either the design of the SGS3, SAMOLED, or TW, in their mind, the SGS3 could never be "top phone." Since anything other than benchmarks are subjective neither you nor they would be right or wrong.

Every time either the M-B E65 AMG, Audi RS6, or BMW 5 M get revised all the car magazines worldwide do a king of the hill road test. There's a technical and subjective review. Typically the BMW wins when heavier weighting is applied to the technical results. Should owners of the Audi and M-B immediately go to a BMW dealer and trade their cars in in shame? Aren’t all three pinnacles of the auto industry? Wouldn't you be happy to own any of the three? Since I have to live with the phone and use it every day, I'll decide which of the two is "top" and after doing so won't really care what others think as I'm not buying the phone to try and impress them.

Quote:
For me the S2 is still top until May 30th when the S3 comes out. The S2 is a better, more complete device than the One X.
You should contact the online media. They must have overlooked quite a bit in their testing of the One X. Especially GSMArena who had the nerve to do a comparison test of the One X against the SGS3 and find them both remarkably comparable. Clearly, based on your unbiased opinion, that test should have been against the much more comparable SGS2.

I came from i9100 that I had for eleven months. I assure you the One X isn't "comparable." It's a major improvement in every functional area.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

randombirt
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonxt View Post
nope.
just look at which users jump at another's sub-forum and bash?
forgive me but at what point did i do any bashing?
Quote:
is it the sgs3 users/fanboys/etc etc going to the hox forums or the other way around?
Dude i'm here for the same reasons as others, i'm getting myself an sgs3!
Quote:
we all here have been on defensive mode ever since the "sgs3 is ugly" days.
and some of us knew that this unit may look ugly in pics but will look good in person as people who have already have this unit has said for themselves that it does look better in person.
thats great that it looks better in person because to me it just looks like another samsung, although i'm not sure i've mentioned this in my previous posts. Even so it doesn't put me off.
Quote:
btw, you didn't understand the "hox sucks at multi-tasking" because a supposedly easy task that can be multi-tasked ; the hox was having trouble and i'm not talking about that game with pop-up play at the same time.just search for yourself which multi-task was that that your hox "sucked at multi-tasking".
What I understand is that you clearly stated that pop up play over shadowgun was a more intense form of multitasking than the simple form that one x failed at. I pointed out that one x can perform that "intense" form and you brushed it aside and stated that one x sucked...
Quote:
by the way "HTC will not solve One X’s multitasking “issue”, regards it as a feature and not a glitch"
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-...led-off-86498/
There you go, your HTC calls NOT BEING ABLE TO MULTI-TASK as a feature.
just with that alone not only do they suck but became a laughing stock.
I think what they're trying to say is that it was intended to be that way. Now it doesn't really affect me but i can see why some aren't happy. Yes this is an issue but really... I can see it pleases you immensely ... Is it all that? Most users didn't notice! Check out when it first appeared on the forum!
Quote:
as one xda-forumer said:
Multitasking is a joke on the One X!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1646409

@current/future sgs3 owners, what a sigh of relief our sgs3 is capable of multi-tasking right?it would have been a bash-fest here had our sgs3 HAD A FEATURE OF NOT BEING ABLE TO MULTI-TASK TOO.
bash
Quote:
@hox owners, too bad the day you were waiting for to bash did not come because the sgs3 can multi-task.
bash
Quote:
@gsmarena, you should add to hox's list of features :
- MicroSIM card support only
- Beats Audio
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- TV-out (via MHL A/V link)
- SNS integration
- MP4/H.263/H.264/WMV player
- blah blah blah then
- NO MULTI-TASKING
[/QUOTE]
Bash
Dude you better go sort out that boner you've given yourself

Tags
hox fanboys = apple fanboys, i thought we saved this crap for apple?, pathetic fanboys, sgs 3 is a piece of bull sh*t
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe