5,597,313 Members 36,455 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[OFFICIAL] Korean SGS III (SHW-M440S/SHV-E210S/K/L) Rooting, ROMs, and Kernel + Guide

Tip us?

M@31
Old
(Last edited by M@31; 16th December 2012 at 01:07 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 405
Default [OFFICIAL] Korean SGS III (SHW-M440S/SHV-E210S/K/L) Rooting, ROMs, and Kernel + Guide

****Use the information at YOUR OWN RISK. We are not responsible for anything you do to your phone.***

READ, READ, READ! Read as much as you can about as much as you can. Everyone started from the same positions, but the more you know, the easier it becomes. Use the search function and don't be lazy!

This thread is updated daily. Thank you to everyone who contributes to this thread. It makes having these phones so much better.
If there are any custom ROMs or Kernels that you know about, just post them and bring to our attention. If you have tested a ROM or Kernel, leave feedback so someone else can use it.

Also, if you had a problem and then fixed that problem, please share the information that you used in order to fix that problem. Others will have the same problems and it is much easier to find help this way.

This thread is for sharing, helping and general information about Rooting, Custom ROMs and Kernels. Please help and add your thoughts and information. The more people, the better! Most of all, ENJOY!

Comment, discuss and help each other out!

ROMS and KERNELS
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE-A (SM-N900S)
[I]Stock Jelly Bean 3.4 (not rooted)

Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (SHV-E210S)
Stock Jelly Bean 3.4 (not rooted)

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (SHW-M380W - Transformed into GT-P7510)
Fourth Bar: Revolution with Yoda's Kernel v2.2

Samsung Galaxy S SHW-M110S - Retired
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to M@31 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

M@31
Old
(Last edited by M@31; 21st February 2013 at 09:54 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 405
Resources
Quote:
These are some pages that have been found to be very useful for ROMs and Kernels:

Matcl.com website
Development by Lloyd (Develoid) website
Bvlgarian website
Spinel Dev website

How To:
Quote:
Quote:
***Please note that you should uncheck 'auto reboot' when flashing cwm in odin. If you reboot straight back to your stock rom, it has a fail safe that will restore stock recovery. Once you are done flashing cwm in odin, do the the three finger salute to enter into cwm recovery to flash supersu.***

Dual Booting between ROMs
XDA Thread (thanks to widokeren)

ROOTING
Mobile Odin (best way to flash and keep root)
XDA Thread (free version)
--I would recommend buying it from Play Store You get everything you need and it also helps the developer who has supported our phones!

CF-Auto-Root v1.0 [GT-I930x/T/N][SHV-E210*][SHW-M440S]
XDA Thread (easiest way to root your phone)

ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 6.0.2.7
Download Thread

Triangle Away (now supports E210S)
XDA Thread - Can be your best friend if you like to flash often and need some Samsung repairs.

***Special thanks to Chainfire and the other Developers, who have developed the above apps for us who are using the Korean variants. It has been a long time coming and finally we can enjoy some of the same features that others have been for a while. Thank you so much!***

Root using a Pre-Rooted ROM
Step By Step Instructions

Access SKT Hidden Menu on Korean SGS3
Korean (original) - link
English translation - link

Hidden Menu Codes:
- open dial pad and enter : 319712358. A menu will pop up asking for password.
Passwords:
SKT - 996412
KT - 774632
LG U+ - 0821

Install CWM Recovery + CWM Manager + Busy Box + Root (SHV-E210K only)
view thread

THEMES AND CUSTOMIZING

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to M@31 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

p33k
Old
Thanks Meter 202
My Korean's not good enough, wife isn't technical enough and translator doesn't do a good enough job but on the first link I can't figure something out. The top part is his guide to rooting but at the bottom, S3-3G-RootingRom.tar. Is this a custom rom, is it the factory rom, just very vague.

p33k
Old
(Last edited by p33k; 6th July 2012 at 12:23 PM.) Reason: Old request
Thanks Meter 202
Never mind... found it!

M@31
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by p33k View Post
My Korean's not good enough, wife isn't technical enough and translator doesn't do a good enough job but on the first link I can't figure something out. The top part is his guide to rooting but at the bottom, S3-3G-RootingRom.tar. Is this a custom rom, is it the factory rom, just very vague.
By the looks of things, it is a rooted stock ROM with Busy Box installed.

p33k
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Another link to add... He posted directions on how to get Triangle Away to work. http://people.sarang.net/index.php?m...nt_srl=2953292

sambauer
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Default how i did it

Hi guys. thank you for this wonderful post.

I followed the instructions as under and achieved root. I dont know the Korean language but got a Korean model S3 3g. model SHW-M440S.

I first downloaded the files from M@31 link above :
Rooting Korean SGS III (3G and LTE) - zip files and instructions (in Korean)

files downloaded were:
odin3_v3.04.zip
cfroot_recovery.tar
CWM_SuperUser_0.92.zip

First installed Odin on my PC.
Then shut off the phone and loaded it in download mode by Pressing volume down, Power and home (main key) at the same time.
I was faced with some Korean language text. i Pressed the VOLUME UP button and the phone entered download mode.

I loaded the file Cfroot_recovery.tar in the PDA section of ODIN and hit start.

The installation was successful and phone rebooted.

Once phone rebooted, i copied the CWM_Superuser_0.92.zip to the SD card of the phone.

I then shut off the phone

Restarted it by hitting the Volume UP , Power and Home key simultaneously.

Within the menu i selected 'install from SD card' and then pointed to the CWM_Superuser_0.92.zip file.

The file was installed. I rebooted.

Then downloaded superuser and titanium backup from the market.

loaded up titanium backup and it was given superuser access!

I have not downloaded or installed the
S3-3G-RootingRom.tar.torrent
OR
S3-LTE-RootingRom.tar.torrent

as i do not know what ROMS they are.

Anyway, i hope people find this useful. I am looking for an ENGLISH language only ROM for my Korean model SG S3. If anyone has any success with finding out, i would highly appreciate a post here
Best regards
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sambauer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

p33k
Old
(Last edited by p33k; 6th July 2012 at 07:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 202
Thanks for posting this! Glad you were successful

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Another link to add. He posted the Factory ROM and Kernal for 3g and LTE. http://bluepremium.tistory.com/entry...9B%A8%EC%96%B4
The Following User Says Thank You to p33k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

p33k
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambauer View Post
I am looking for an ENGLISH language only ROM for my Korean model SG S3. If anyone has any success with finding out, i would highly appreciate a post here
Best regards
I messaged the guy who runs Blue Premium website and asked a few questions. One I asked was are there any custom roms that we can use right now, like CM9? I know you have your Presto ROM but I assume it is all in Korean correct? He answered...

"PRESTO ROM is indeed in Korea, but you always CAN Change the System Language. Crazy kamui figured out that custom ROMs can be flashed onto Galaxy S3 - Korean version if you change the kernel section. However, CM9 and AOKP don't work that way, so don't try. Actually we're Testing Several Things to Korean Galaxy S3 to Port CM9."

So its seems for right now Presto ROM is your only one. Let me know if you try it out and give some feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to p33k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

M@31
Old
(Last edited by M@31; 7th July 2012 at 02:11 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 405
You guys/girls are awesome!

Sorry, been slacking a bit, but Ill update now!
I don't have my phone yet, so I have been a bit slacking...Im sorry

Ill keep up to date!