[OFFICIAL] Korean SGS III (SHW-M440S/SHV-E210S/K/L) Rooting, ROMs, and Kernel + Guide

OP M@31

7th July 2012, 01:58 AM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Daegu
Thanks Meter: 414

1,541 posts
More
Links have been updated on first post....Thanks to p33k and sambauer for doing some searching.

I'm still curious how they know the rooting and ROMs work with the LTE versions, since it is not released yet. Maybe they have access to one....?

Anywho, if one of you try out the custom ROM, let us know!

For the Factory ROM and Kernel, anyone post the Firmware numbers for it so I can add that? Thanks!
7th July 2012, 02:20 AM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Daegu

1,541 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by p33k

Thanks for posting this! Glad you were successful

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Another link to add. He posted the Factory ROM and Kernal for 3g and LTE. http://bluepremium.tistory.com/entry...9B%A8%EC%96%B4

Did you try and download the Factory ROM and Kernel?
Im trying to get the LTE versions now, but they are "img" files.....not .tar

***Edit
Hmmm, I just tried doing the 3G ones and they are zipped up files.
It is only the LTE ones that are .img files.......

This is strange!
7th July 2012, 03:56 AM   |  #13  
Flag Cyberjaya
Thanks Meter: 52

265 posts
Is there any other mirror link for download the I9300XXBLFB (4.0.4)? As hotfile regular download limit 30 minutes per download and my area internet is slow so unable to finish download.

Thanks
Galaxy S3, Omega 7.1, franco kernel..^^

Edited : Post on wrong thread. Sorry.
Last edited by lvoonjian8888; 7th July 2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Post on the wrong thread. Sorry..:)
7th July 2012, 09:18 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 13

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@31

Links have been updated on first post....Thanks to p33k and sambauer for doing some searching.

I'm still curious how they know the rooting and ROMs work with the LTE versions, since it is not released yet. Maybe they have access to one....?

Anywho, if one of you try out the custom ROM, let us know!

For the Factory ROM and Kernel, anyone post the Firmware numbers for it so I can add that? Thanks!

I used it on my Korean 3G model SHW-M440S.
It is not the LTE version. Also, i have not installed the rom. I just followed the steps as per my previous post , short of installing the ROM given.

I then downloaded Rom Manager and Titanium backup and both were given access to root and worked flawlessly. The only problem with the root manager is that i cannot install clockworkmod recovery as ROm manager does not give an option for my phone (it gives two options. 1- Samsung Epic4G and 2- Samsung GalaxyS i9000).

Thank you everyone else for the pointers. I shall await a little longer before trying out the PRESTO Rom. i do remember spending almost an entire night trying to fix up my Korean Galaxy model S when i put up a European Galaxy S rom on it and it wouldnt work. Took me a while to figure out the problem was that the Korean Samsung Galaxy was different than the European versions and their ROMs would not work on mine .

I have checked my applications and there are two apps installed one is called 'SUPERSU" and the other is "Superuser" . Only SuperSU is active as it shows titanium backup/etc in its app list.

I continue to ponder this issue till i solve it. Any pointers would be highly appreciated.
Last edited by veyka; 13th August 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: no warez stuff
7th July 2012, 02:27 PM   |  #15  
Flag Busan
Thanks Meter: 203

444 posts
More
Yeah I had same problem with root manager. I just uninstalled it. I had backed up my Rom via cwm recovery after rooting so I hope I'm ok. Then we have the factory roms. Cwm let's u do all the things manager does but less friendly.

But I'm a newb when it comes to this just switching from ip4. Please correct me if wrong.

Sent from my SHW-M440S using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to p33k For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th July 2012, 01:16 AM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
Flag Daegu

1,541 posts
More
I have never used CWM, so I am not too sure what it is or does.
Im guessing it is a backup program?

sambauer, have you tried updating your superuser app?
Just go into the app and you should be able to update it no worries....I had a similar problem with my tab when I rooted it and just had to do the update and it worked like a charm. Just check out the menu within the app and update it.....hopefully that works.

A tip for anyone and everyone - only use ROMs that are built for our phones. There are always problems with ROMs that are not specifically made for the Korean Galaxy phones.

That being said, PRESTO ROM is made for the Korean 3G, it should work fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to M@31 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th July 2012, 05:37 AM   |  #17  

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@31

I have never used CWM, so I am not too sure what it is or does.
Im guessing it is a backup program?

sambauer, have you tried updating your superuser app?
Just go into the app and you should be able to update it no worries....I had a similar problem with my tab when I rooted it and just had to do the update and it worked like a charm. Just check out the menu within the app and update it.....hopefully that works.

A tip for anyone and everyone - only use ROMs that are built for our phones. There are always problems with ROMs that are not specifically made for the Korean Galaxy phones.

That being said, PRESTO ROM is made for the Korean 3G, it should work fine.

@ M@31 : Thank you for that. The problem is solved. steps taken as as under:

I uninstalled the superuser app that i had installed from market. (SUPERSU) left untouched.

I then reinstalled CWM_SuperUser_0.92 from sdcard using CWM recovery.

everything workings perfectly now
Last edited by veyka; 13th August 2012 at 12:33 AM.
8th July 2012, 06:38 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 2

34 posts
translator
for anyone who want to translate korean language into english you can try tranzilla of borixo from google play..

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=tranzilla
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000046.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1184369  
8th July 2012, 10:45 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 21

114 posts
I hate to be all nooby and what not but I seriously thinking about picking up another phone.... the Unlocked Galaxy Nexus is back up for sale on the Play store, so I MIGHT go that route, BUT I have family who has family in south korea so I could get my hands on a quad core s3... (or can you buy them unlocked online somewhere?)

And IF I do get the quad core are there any roms for it yet? I guess I should sit back and let the smart people figure it out and check back lol....

I rom ton's of phone's but I've never had a samsung or a foreign market phone.

Will it even function as a phone in the US? and if so on what carriers?

Sorry for the spoon feeding request but a clear reply to above might stop lots of new threads asking the same thing.
9th July 2012, 03:15 AM   |  #20  

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz

I hate to be all nooby and what not but I seriously thinking about picking up another phone.... the Unlocked Galaxy Nexus is back up for sale on the Play store, so I MIGHT go that route, BUT I have family who has family in south korea so I could get my hands on a quad core s3... (or can you buy them unlocked online somewhere?)

And IF I do get the quad core are there any roms for it yet? I guess I should sit back and let the smart people figure it out and check back lol....

I rom ton's of phone's but I've never had a samsung or a foreign market phone.

Will it even function as a phone in the US? and if so on what carriers?

Sorry for the spoon feeding request but a clear reply to above might stop lots of new threads asking the same thing.

I can tell you what i experienced with my Samsung S2 which was purchased in South Korea. I frequently travel to other countries and used that Korean S2 without any problems with local sims from China, Pakistan, U.K. and The Netherlands.
There are some issues though..

1- any text message more than 80 characters automatically becomes a MMS.
2- You have to program your mobile number into the sim, otherwise before sending any sms, the phone also asks to fill out a 'from' field.
3- the Korean keyboard is ever present and becomes quite an inconvenience for some one like me who does not speak Korean language.
4- you cannot use mainstream ROMs meant for the same model of phone that are not specifically designed for the Korean model.

Other than this , all is well Now that i have purchased the S3, i am forever looking for a compatible international custom rom for it.
I hope you can make a better choice now more suited to your needs.
Last edited by sambauer; 9th July 2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: added info

The Following User Says Thank You to sambauer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread