13th October 2012, 08:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 5,149

5,722 posts
Donate to Me
More
Guys,
There has been so many "Which is the best ROM?" and "Which is the best kernel?" threads lately.

This is a reminder.. these kind of threads are NOT allowed.

Why are they not allowed? Well because that the best rom and kernel for me might be the worst for someone else. It's subjective. It's like asking who the hottest girl in the world is. Or which sports car is the best. If you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers.

The best advice is to try them all and figure out which one is best for YOU and YOUR needs. Not based on what's best for someone else.

I have just been closing these threads but I'm going to start to hand out official warnings if it continues.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to graffixnyc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2012, 09:27 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 13,914

2,889 posts
Donate to Me
I understand the moral conundrum in saying that A is better than thing B, such things are not subjective but can be substantiated through facts. You can disallow saying that one or the other is better with idiotic posts "because lolz its awesome", but any other comparison is empiric and valid. The one and only thing this does not apply is aesthetics of themes.

Please stop the stupefying XDA as a community for the sake of political correctness with such half though-through policies, it's destroying this site as a real resource.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AndreiLux For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2012, 09:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 5,149

5,722 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiLux

I understand the moral conundrum in saying that A is better than thing B, such things are not subjective but can be substantiated through facts. You can disallow saying that one or the other is better with idiotic posts "because lolz its awesome", but any other comparison is empiric and valid. The one and only thing this does not apply is aesthetics of themes.

Please stop the stupefying XDA as a community for the sake of political correctness with such half though-through policies, it's destroying this site as a real resource.

Do you understand how many reports we get on threads where someone is asking "what's the best rom?", "What's the best rom for battery life", "what's the best kernel?"

The rules state these types of threads are not allowed. I just enforcing the rule. If you do not agree with the rule then I suggest you take it up with the Admins that make the rules not the mods that are enforcing them. I know I close at least 5 of these types of threads a day and it's our community that also finds them undesirable and this is why when there is a thread like this created tons of users report them.

These ARE subjective because what is the best for one person sucks for another. It depends on the person's needs and preferences. For some people AOSP based roms are best, for others not so much. The only way someone can find what the best rom for them is to try them all.

And I must disagree. Cluttering our community with pointless threads is doing more damage to the community than enforcing the rules..

As I have said, if you have a problem with the rules then take it up with the higher powers not the person enforcing them
13th October 2012, 09:40 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4,564

15,737 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiLux

Uhm, has anyone so far ever posted a comment/thread where one's saying that rom A is better than rom B and then provided facts? Then again, who'd bother reading them? The average XDA user probably doesn't even care about a wall-post of differences between roms.
13th October 2012, 09:43 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 4,425

23,044 posts
I don't see the problem as asking is A better than B .
The problem is ten posts a day every day of the week asking the exact same question does this forum no good at all .

In that respect why not a specific whats the best rom only thread for all such posts .
But to be honest i don't believe that will stop the multiple whats the best posts .

jje
13th October 2012, 09:57 PM   |  #6  
Developer Committee / OEM Relations / XDA Portal Team - Harbinger of Doom
Flag Gallifrey
Thanks Meter: 4,327

6,075 posts
More
Comparing ROMs is relatively useless because I dare say there isn't one person in this entire XDA community that has their device setup EXACTLY like yours (ROM, KERNEL, Apps, etc.). So because of that the comparisons become subjective and usually someone tries to grow their epeen and then it becomes null and void.

An acceptable alternative would be a "ROM Comparison Thread" - but that will just become convoluted.
13th October 2012, 10:18 PM   |  #7  

15,737 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog

Comparing ROMs is relatively useless because I dare say there isn't one person in this entire XDA community that has their device setup EXACTLY like yours (ROM, KERNEL, Apps, etc.). So because of that the comparisons become subjective and usually someone tries to grow their epeen and then it becomes null and void.

An acceptable alternative would be a "ROM Comparison Thread" - but that will just become convoluted.

Even if two people had their phones set up completely alike, they would still perform differently. The quality of the chip silicon can vary a whole lot. Most noticeable in what a user can stably overclock to.
13th October 2012, 10:23 PM   |  #8  

2,889 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan

I don't see the problem as asking is A better than B .
The problem is ten posts a day every day of the week asking the exact same question does this forum no good at all .

In that respect why not a specific whats the best rom only thread for all such posts .
But to be honest i don't believe that will stop the multiple whats the best posts .

jje

Solution:
Quote:

This. Do this single thing in a substantive and quality manner and sticky it, let it be editorialized, and you have your problem gone.

Ever since this forum opened every single comparison thread has been bombarded with posts complaining the thread goes against the rules, rather than there being any kind of problem with the thread content itself, that's why it devolves into a cluster-**** and the moderators get that many reports. 8 out of 10 posts are about people bashing on the OP for being an idiot because he's "going against the rule". The rule itself is causing more problems than the people asking these questions in the first place.

Quote:

Because you're doing a subjective comparison again. A objective comparison is saying:

ROM A has these and these features, those features bring advantage X and Y.
Kernel 1 has feature Z and therefore is more battery efficient than kernels who don't have Z.

I don't understand why this is so hard to do. Educate the masses.
Last edited by AndreiLux; 13th October 2012 at 10:27 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AndreiLux For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2012, 10:30 PM   |  #9  

15,737 posts
More
AndreiLux, honestly, who the hell cares?
13th October 2012, 10:38 PM   |  #10  

2,889 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theshawty

AndreiLux, honestly, who the hell cares?

Is that question for real? Is this what one gets for trying to improve the quality of the community? ... I'm sorry then and I'll leave, if nobody really cares.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AndreiLux For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread