5,599,337 Members 38,347 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Should I root? Considering...

Tip us?

Imuo9
Old
(Last edited by Imuo9; 19th December 2013 at 09:44 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Prompt [Q] Should I root? Considering...

Hey!

So yeah Iv'e been root-phobic ever since I bricked my old Ace Plus back in the day, and Iv'e been satisfied with non-root for a while.

But now the advantages of root are tempting me to go back. Iv'e always hated the fact that you can't disable the camera sound and the bloatware takes necessary space, and let's not forget all the apps that have special root features.

The thing is I'm ready to root again but then I realized rooting would change my phones status to "modified," and I won't be able to update my firmware. And that's a no-no since I'm expecting to ( hopefully ) get 4.3 soon.

So my question is: If I root, remove all the c**p I want to ( camera sound, bloatware ), and then unroot, will my phone status still be modified or will the unoot send it back to normal, so I can update? I hope it does!

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imuo9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrNiick
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I think once you root your phone it will stay modified forever, but still, having a rooted S3 is so much better, i have 4.4.1 with CM and its something that I think will never come to our S3, so..
I rooted mine two weeks before I bought it, ****ed it up and fixed it many times...
The choice is yours to make
Actual Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 [i9300]
ROM: CM 4.4.1 Kit Kat

==

Old Phone: Green Lens Motorola Defy
ROM: Quarx JB 4.1.2 Build
Kernel: Froyo Kernel By Epsylon3
The Following User Says Thank You to MrNiick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GrippingSphere
Old
(Last edited by GrippingSphere; 20th December 2013 at 12:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 495
Yes you can go back to official status even after rooting and flashing custom roms multiple times.
This can be done by resetting the flash counter via Triangle Away and flashing a stock Rom.
Check your Build version and CSC now by dialing *#1234#
Better yet download from Samfirmware your current firmware in case you want to go back to it later.

Also you may want to look at these threads:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42568033

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33817354

Also it's a good practice to backup your EFS, if you're still on efs v1, and keep it in a safe place like your ext sd card or your PC before flashing another Rom or firmware.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to GrippingSphere For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Imuo9
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrippingSphere View Post
Yes you can go back to official status even after rooting and flashing custom roms multiple times.
This can be done by resetting the flash counter via Triangle Away and flashing a stock Rom.
Check your Build version and CSC now by dialing *#1234#
Better yet download from Samfirmware your current firmware in case you want to go back to it later.

Also you may want to look at these threads:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42568033

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33817354

Also it's a good practice to backup your EFS, if you're still on efs v1, and keep it in a safe place like your ext sd card or your PC before flashing another Rom or firmware.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Ehhh. I think I'll root after I get the update. I'm not looking to mess anything up right now

JellyYogurt
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imuo9 View Post
Ehhh. I think I'll root after I get the update. I'm not looking to mess anything up right now
Dun think u shld root. U seem like u dk wat u are doing.

Sent from my GT-I9300.
Give a thank if i helped you.

Blackwolf10
Old
Thanks Meter 188
the real question is can you Root ?
Phone: Galaxy Note 3 SM-900
ROM: Dr.ketan K5
Kernel: Halaszk Cluster V0.16
I am a 17 years old Kurdish boy from Iraq

JellyYogurt
Old