Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,382 Members 45,696 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SGSIII General and launch discussion thread.

Tip us?

basskidd
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
I personally love the design of this phone. The people who hate the design would rather have Samsung get sued by Apple again. This is a very smart move by Samsung and now Apple cannot say they stole our design.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
Is it just me, or does that home button look an awful lot like the kin two?

Current Phone(s): Galaxy Nexus and HTC Incredible S
Retired:Blackberry Bold 9000, Blackberry Bold 9700, iPhone 3G, Motorola Atrix, HTC Inspire, HTC Sensation, Galaxy S2 i9100

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 695
It reminded me of the Nexus S, but without the curve, if they had atleast done that it would look a bit nicer.

fransarj
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Some people here are too quick to judge saying it sucks. Look at the iphone4. when it was released people were saying it looked like a brick and the design was ugly. Look at it now. Still the best looking phone out in the market.

The s3 probably looks better in person just like the iphone4 and will grow on us as well. I already like it as it is and i can't wait to see it in person.

As for benchmarks, i only trust anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/s...rmance-preview

Samsung Galaxy S 4 GT-I9505 16gb + 64gb Sandisk Ultra Class10
Rom: Phoenix Rom V8 4.4.2

BFirebird101
Old
Thanks Meter 136
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61I97JKORDE
Watch this video showcasing S Voice...the ending is freaking awesome

ediesel18
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Man people need to quit crying. its is not that bad looking at all. Ive seen worse from htc. The Wolfson Dac is a big plus for me.

White i317.

thebobp
Old
Thanks Meter 210
I'm disappointed in the mere existence of the hardware buttons. Having them as software on the Nexus meant that I could download a ROM to change their order and/or add new ones. There's no way I could go back after having that sort of customization available to me.

(True, it was a bit of a failure that such options were not available by default, but at least it was even possible.)

Other than that, I honestly can't see what's so supposedly bad about the design (particularly from those who seem to focus on the pebble blue version to exclusion.. you realize there's a white option, right?) but maybe I'm just too technically inclined.. I value those little conveniences like removable sd card and battery too much.

tehh4ck3r
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
This entire thread is one giant first-world problem
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tehh4ck3r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jamice4u
Old
Thanks Meter 404

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobp View Post
I'm disappointed in the mere existence of the hardware buttons. Having them as software on the Nexus meant that I could download a ROM to change their order and/or add new ones. There's no way I could go back after having that sort of customization available to me.

(True, it was a bit of a failure that such options were not available by default, but at least it was even possible.)

Other than that, I honestly can't see what's so supposedly bad about the design (particularly from those who seem to focus on the pebble blue version to exclusion.. you realize there's a white option, right?) but maybe I'm just too technically inclined.. I value those little conveniences like removable sd card and battery too much.
I have the galaxy 2 (Epic Touch 4g and I am using the hardware buttons and the software buttons with a custom rom (AOKP 5)
If I have help you in anyway please feel free to thank me. Thanks!!!

Phone: Galaxy Note 2
ROM: Rootbox-JB-L900-Nightly-20130416
Kernel: 3.0.73Matrix-v 1.34 733-GPU-OC
Baseband: L900VPAMA7

thebobp
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamice4u View Post
I have the galaxy 2 (Epic Touch 4g and I am using the hardware buttons and the software buttons with a custom rom (AOKP 5)
All of them, huh. I guess that's an interesting way to go.

Zabalba
Old
Thanks Meter 166
I never enjoyed the software buttons on my Galaxy Nexus. The thought that valuable screen space was always used for navigation seemed backwards to me.

I also owned the Galaxy Note. Samsung's pentile display is not in anyway detrimental to the quality of the display. Those complaining about the pentile are viewing their phones with x300 magnification glasses.

SLCD uses more battery for the same image. In AMOLED when you see black, that pixel is turned off.

Now as for the design of the outer body of the phone I will concede it leaves more to be desired. The curves are too feminine to match the capacity of the hardware. I would have preferred less bezel around the edges. I still have to hand it to them for packing in all the goods the phone comes with.

The fact that most of the other high end phones are coming with non removable batteries, and lack of MicroSD expansion, shows samsung still knows that kind of hardware it's customers want.

I live in the states so I'm trying to figure out how I want to import the international version when they launch. I have no need for LTE. HSPA+ is more than enough for my browsing habits. Also the international version will see more development than the state variants. I'd bet you would see a stable CM9 or AOKP sooner than the US versions even adjusted for release date.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zabalba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]