XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The Sound Quality discussion thread

Tip us?

studiominal
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinfabl View Post
Surely the HD650 headphones cannot be driven by the S3?
Stock S3 can drive HD 650 at the comfortable level for me, but I guess it would not be loud enough for many people. However with Voodoo Sound, volume can be massively boosted enough to blow your ears out. More options like 128x oversampling, Anti-jitter, and DAC direct are to come, say, within this week

If you're talking about some damping or something, yes, GS3 still is capable of driving most of hard headphones because it's got low output impedance. Listening was the first I've done to check it out though.

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallydubbedHD View Post
It won't be able to fully drive it, but listening to low volumes, shouldn't be a problem, like listening to my PFE232's or D2K's

sweeet!

EDIT:
Been doing some more tests.....and I think that min cpu freq has something to do with it.
When moving higher, ie. im at 500 now, the frequency at which the noise comes is reduced.

I'm constantly moving up to see when I won't hear it no more.
I could be wrong, but that's a theory.
You were right that I should reboot my device to get the noise back After ticking some options in SetCPU (as I mentioned in page 42) I noticed the noise was gone, but the battery drained much faster during last night. Taking a look at the battery usage on my phone, I just noticed that my phone turned itself on while I was sleeping! (not screen, I mean 'Awake' on battery history details) But there was no SetCPU on the list of applications which ate up the battery most.

At this stage I can't confirm any of what I've found so far, so I'd better return to the very beginning, and then iterate the procedure. One thing I guess is that it might have something to do with the scheduler, not the CPU frequency itself because I checked if the CPU frequency changes significantly if I plug the USB cable into my SGS3, or turn the screen on. No change.
The Following User Says Thank You to studiominal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fc4ever
Old
Thanks Meter 0
yes, quality of sound in s3 is realli not that good.

goody_23
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fc4ever View Post
I think it is very good it just needs some tweaking that's all..
The Following User Says Thank You to goody_23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kendoji
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Yeah sound quality is great. I only noticed a pop yesterday, but that probably says something about the kinds of music I generally listen to.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy SII / SIII

TotallydubbedHD
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiominal View Post
You were right that I should reboot my device to get the noise back After ticking some options in SetCPU (as I mentioned in page 42) I noticed the noise was gone, but the battery drained much faster during last night. Taking a look at the battery usage on my phone, I just noticed that my phone turned itself on while I was sleeping! (not screen, I mean 'Awake' on battery history details) But there was no SetCPU on the list of applications which ate up the battery most.

At this stage I can't confirm any of what I've found so far, so I'd better return to the very beginning, and then iterate the procedure. One thing I guess is that it might have something to do with the scheduler, not the CPU frequency itself because I checked if the CPU frequency changes significantly if I plug the USB cable into my SGS3, or turn the screen on. No change.
I actually put the CPU MIN to 600, and the battery lasted long!
Remember to have power saving enabled - helps a little.
In fact on that note, do you guys have power saving ON or OFF?
As I leave mine ON, thus power saving enabled.

I think, as someone else had said before, SCALING affects it.
Put the scaling to ON DEMAND, and go back to 200 - I think it solves it....I can't be sure....need more testing as usual lol.

STOCK scaling is: pegasusq

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc4ever View Post
Very false, SQ of S3 is extremely good, although has a slight problem.
The S1 still, in my mind is a "funner" and better source, especially with voodoo sound enabled.

S1>S3 SQ wise, for the time being, with the s3 without voodoo and having this problem.
Out the box however....S3 I feel is better than the S1. (forgetting this crackling problem)

Click here for my YouTube channel
I have over 4.6 million video upload views, combined on 2 of my YouTube Channels!
I'm also a Amazon UK Top 500 Reviewer!

Click here and join Dropbox to receive a free 500mb cloud storage bonus space!

My XDA Video guide thread for the Samsung Galaxy S III - GT-I9300

If I helped you or made you laugh please hit THANKS!

danba
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma10 View Post
I just received NwAvGuy's ODAC in the post today, just tested it along with the O2 amp and it is confirmed working on the S3:

https://plus.google.com/107354758331...ts/PCaM42irMeU

Here's the dmesg output:

http://pastebin.com/Jjq4xnT3

@danba, not sure if this throws a spanner in the works but I believe the ODAC uses a Tenor TE7022 USB controller.
I Ďm rather happy that my theory of SGS3 High-Speed/Full-Speed switching issue is wrong. We can move on and try to find out other non-interworking cause.

Itís a very good news that the SGS3 interworks with the USB DAC ODAC using the USB controller Tenor TE7022. Before, itís rather depressive that the SGS3 can only interwork with rather old generation USB DACs using the old USB controller Burr-Brown 2xxxx.

Look at your photo below

Itís very interesting that the SGS3 can power the ODAC, which is a USB powered 24/96 DAC, without a powered USB hub.

The SGS3 + ODAC + O2 rig is one of the best affordable Hi-Fi rigs.
SGS3 > digital audio stream >> USB DAC ODAC >> amp O2 >> headphone

http://nwavguy.blogspot.fr/2012/03/odac-update.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-...re-orders.html
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=39
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-...ature-usb-dac/

By the way, what is the exact model of the very cheap USB sound stick that works with your SGS3?
There are a lot of cheap USB sound cards on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...card&_osacat=0
A lot of developers are willing to enable USB audio on other Android phones, but they donít have a USB DAC/amp.

Thanks!
Itís up to us to require Google & Android device manufacturers to add support for USB Audio!
June 5th 2013: 4904 votes; January 5th 2014: 5304 votes

USB Audio Player PRO: de-facto reference implementation of Android USB Audio for Android device - USB DAC testing purposes?

ddqq123
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So, currently out of the box comparing an IP4S and an S3 strictly on sound quality, the IP4S would win?

My S2 is dead and I'm more concerned about carrying one device instead of my current two (phone and mp3) whilst keeping the sound quality at least similar to my existing Sony Walkman X-Series. I would prefer an S3 ahead of an IP4S, but if the sound quality isn't up to the task then I'd regrettably have to go IP4S.

Not purchasing for another 10 days or so, here's hoping there's some development on the S3 Voodoo Sound front before then.

TotallydubbedHD
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddqq123 View Post
So, currently out of the box comparing an IP4S and an S3 strictly on sound quality, the IP4S would win?

My S2 is dead and I'm more concerned about carrying one device instead of my current two (phone and mp3) whilst keeping the sound quality at least similar to my existing Sony Walkman X-Series. I would prefer an S3 ahead of an IP4S, but if the sound quality isn't up to the task then I'd regrettably have to go IP4S.

Not purchasing for another 10 days or so, here's hoping there's some development on the S3 Voodoo Sound front before then.
I think the iPhones always hold the "title" of being the best.
but, the S3 is better than the S2 - that's for sure.

the question is, does the S3 beat the king, the S1 off the throne or not. That's the real question.

I have over 4.6 million video upload views, combined on 2 of my YouTube Channels!

The Following User Says Thank You to TotallydubbedHD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ddqq123
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the prompt reply. I suppose with the iPhone essentially being a phone built onto an iPod, it's always going to be best.

Can't argue with the cheap addition of a 64GB microSD card to increase the storage space. The S3 may end up winning out on cost.

TotallydubbedHD
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddqq123 View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply. I suppose with the iPhone essentially being a phone built onto an iPod, it's always going to be best.

Can't argue with the cheap addition of a 64GB microSD card to increase the storage space. The S3 may end up winning out on cost.
In all honest, get a S3 if you want to try something "new" and have something that is the BEST phone out there in the market.

The 4s....well I'm sure you know what it is.
FYI:
I use my phone for 80% of music use, the other 20% is between browsing/emails & phone/texts.

Music is my utmost priority, and thus why i didn't buy the S2.

I'm listing to my S3 right now with my digizoid ZO2 amp + custom interconnect + the PFE232's - those PFE232's don't come cheap !