Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,157 Members 43,001 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

There's just no way to get rid of the lag

Tip us?

Sensamic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelha View Post
The thing I see over and over here, Chrome. It really is not the fastest or most responsive browser. I use it mostly because it renders everything correctly. Killing it or using greenify solves the problem for me. I am using temaseks from with Yank555 kernel and I have absolutely no lag issues at all.

One has to have a look at how your device is being used. If you have a whole bunch of apps, including games installed, remember that even when killed, they still tend to run in the background consuming memory. This is not always evident, especially after a clean boot. Use a tool like ES Task Manager and have a look at how many user apps insist on starting up. Apps like YouTube run at startup and if you don't constantly use it, turn it off. I even stop some system apps like Voice Dialer from starting up, since I am not using it at all, I don't see the need for it to run at start up.

There are many ways to to improve performance, even with "limited" ram. How your device performs depends entirely on how you use it.

As for the animations, it is not a placebo effect. The ability to have lower/disable them under Developer options makes a huge difference since it was introduced to reduce lag when debugging an application.
Whenever I install a new rom I try the overall speed and fluidity of the animations with zero apps, and I still see lag and frame drops, even with zero apps installed.

Benko111
Old
Thanks Meter 17

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamic View Post
Whenever I install a new rom I try the overall speed and fluidity of the animations with zero apps, and I still see lag and frame drops, even with zero apps installed.
Do you actually do clean installs incl. superwipe on every flash or do you just smash next ROM on
top of the last one? Again, at least with AOSP ROMs I can't confirm at all what you're experiencing.

TW ROMs are known to be horrible on S3, I never really managed to get it as fast and responsive as I liked it to be
in the slightest, even after a clean flash I wasn't happy for more than a few days.
That's why I keep recommending AOSP ROMs on S3, which still is a great device ecspecially now
with its low price, I actually got a small bunch of people on wee budgets to get themselves one recently.

Recapitulating, TW was never a joy on S3, with AOSP (specially SlimKat and Archis stuff) only beaming'd be faster.^^
***Contact me for your localization or editorial needs. I do high quality german app and marketing info translations.***
The Following User Says Thank You to Benko111 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sensamic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benko111 View Post
Do you actually do clean installs incl. superwipe on every flash or do you just smash next ROM on
top of the last one? Again, at least with AOSP ROMs I can't confirm at all what you're experiencing.

TW ROMs are known to be horrible on S3, I never really managed to get it as fast and responsive as I liked it to be
in the slightest, even after a clean flash I wasn't happy for more than a few days.
That's why I keep recommending AOSP ROMs on S3, which still is a great device ecspecially now
with its low price, I actually got a small bunch of people on wee budgets to get themselves one recently.

Recapitulating, TW was never a joy on S3, with AOSP (specially SlimKat and Archis stuff) only beaming'd be faster.^^
I always do a wipe (including cache and all. Even wipe internal sd card).

Anyway, right now I'm very happy with animations turned off. That way I don't get distracted by the frame drops every time I open or close an app.

This phone is pretty much perfect except for two things: I would like 2GB RAM and more battery life.

Not essential to have more RAM on a phone, but it would be nice.

Mafioso
Old
Thanks Meter 84
^^you should give resurrection remix ROM a go, I've been using 5.1.4 version (06/02) for like 15 days now, its butter smooth with minimal lags or freezes (have experienced just 2-3 times yet). It has nice animations and looks quite good with Pitch black on (similar to darkSlim interface).

On battery life also, its excellent. It just drops 4-6% overnight (8 hours) when phone is not used, that too with WiFi on but location off. This is with 1.5 year old battery with kernel included with the ROM (no kernel upgrade/change needed).

Scan my Avatar to reveal the secret message