Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,563 Members 45,085 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced Unsual Permanant or partial freezes on you Galaxy S3 GT-I9300?
Yes, Permanant freezes. 550 34.57%
Yes, Partial (Sometimes) freezes. 752 47.27%
No,i don't experience any freezes. 168 10.56%
Yes, but due to mods i installed. 25 1.57%
Yes, but due to unknown reasons. 96 6.03%
Voters: 1591. You may not vote on this poll

**Ultimate Galaxy S3 Unusual Freezing Thread**

Tip us?

vet4snak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thank goodness for this thread.
this phone has been killing itself up to 3 times in 10 minutes. i really dont know what the hell is going on with this.
i will try uninstalling chrome and see if it helps..
my phone is bone stock running 4.1.2 with the latest firmware updated just today.

Dark Smile
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default data connection is maybe the problem

Hey guys,

i have these freezes too since i updated to 4.1.2.

but in my case it's only when i have mobile data connection or w-lan connection turned on. If i turn off any data connection, it works the whole day without freezing!

It's for two weeks now and today i decided to install CyanogenMod 10.1 to try if this solves my problem.
I'm about to synchronisize my apps (does it automatically when entering google account and choosing "restoren from my account") and the first freeze occured (W-Lan on). But this time the light of the touch keys is full functional. When i touch the screen, the background light of the touch keys turns on. But power button, volume up/down and the touchscreen are frozen.

What I've done:
- rooted and installed CWM
- Cleared Dalvik cache
- wiped all other cache partition and stuff
- installed CyanogenMod 10.1 nightly build 20130208
- factory reset and so on like described in the manuals for installing CFs

Original data of my phone before installing CyanogenMod:

Galaxy S3
AP: I9300XXELL4
CP: I9300XXELL4
CSC: I9300DBTELL1
Android Version:
Kernel-Version:
3.0.31-566833
se.infra@SEP-64#1

No Branding.

So it is a bit confusing that this only happens with data connection turned on.
I've also read some threads with analytics of the update code and the SD fix so i am well informed now and think it's because of the eMMC bug where it tries to repair the corrupted sectors and freezes while doing this (cause after ~20 minutes everything is fine like nothing happened).

Has anyone an idea or a solution now besides sending it to the local dealer and change it for warranty reasons?

Thanks,
Dark Smile

sebarkh
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Default Odp: **Ultimate Galaxy S3 Unusual Freezing Thread**

It happened to me once, about 2 weeks ago, just after the release of the new firmware LM2. So I have flashed back with PC Odin to the previous LLA but the problem persisted. The phone was freezing after about 5 minutes of use. Forced reboot was needed.
So then I flashed some older 3 files-low level firmware (can't remember what one) in PC Odin nd then back to LM2 again, and everything is alright since then.
Strange...

Wysyłane z mojego Nexus 7 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Dark Smile
Old
Thanks Meter 2
After 2 Freezes it's running stable for the moment... i'll watch it over the weekend and give feedback.

ezman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Mine is freezing lots now.
First time it went to o2 repair (UK) they claimed they had fixed it, pretty sure they just did a factory reset (which I had done already 3 times). So when I collected it, it froze within 2 minutes.
I'm tracking this repair publicly at http://myo2repair.wordpress.com so you can check out how this sort of thing pans out.
Problem is it can be intermittent, so you could get a couple of hours without a freeze. So it's gone back to repair and they say no fault found. So a bit stuck now.
It will definitely happen again when it's returned. They say after 3 attempts they will give me a refurb device. Samsung themselves give you a brand new sealed device as a replacement. Recommend going through Samsung if in same predicament.

raghavmax
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Default Re: **Ultimate Galaxy S3 Unusual Freezing Thread**

Yes mine also got replaced by a 32 gb one from samsung india today

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

vet4snak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
good news.
after updating today (and uninstalling google chrome) my SGS3 is no longer freezing itself every few minutes!
will report if it starts doing it again. If you dont see me post, assume all is good now.

alishankiti
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default freeze after 4.1.2

I've had constant freezes when I upgraded to 4.1.2. I tried many versions. all the same.

I rolled back to 4.1.1 and the phone is freeze free for one week now.

SiggiJarl
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Mine started to behave strangely and then started to freeze constantly. Didn't happen after an upgrade, just started happening out of the blue.
So I wiped it completely and flashed it with the latest wanamlite rom (I was on a rooted stock rom before).
Now it only freezes once every few days (still it NEVER used to freeze before, ever).
I think it might have some connection to the facebook app. I've noticed it only freezes shortly after I have been using the facebook app.

nhariamine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 610

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiggiJarl View Post
Mine started to behave strangely and then started to freeze constantly. Didn't happen after an upgrade, just started happening out of the blue.
So I wiped it completely and flashed it with the latest wanamlite rom (I was on a rooted stock rom before).
Now it only freezes once every few days (still it NEVER used to freeze before, ever).
I think it might have some connection to the facebook app. I've noticed it only freezes shortly after I have been using the facebook app.
So far, users are reporting Chrome and Facebook as one of the sources of the freezing in Galaxy s3.More to come, Share ur experiences down

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500
Model: 16GB
Colour: Black Mist
External Storage: 32GB Class 6
ROM: Omega v14.1 | Base: UBUBMH1 | JB 4.2.2
Kernel: Adam Kernel
Recovery: PhilZ Recovery
Theme: TSF Shell themed

Modem: UBUBMH1
XDA developers

Older Device : Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300

Tags