Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,565 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced Unsual Permanant or partial freezes on you Galaxy S3 GT-I9300?
Yes, Permanant freezes. 550 34.59%
Yes, Partial (Sometimes) freezes. 752 47.30%
No,i don't experience any freezes. 168 10.57%
Yes, but due to mods i installed. 25 1.57%
Yes, but due to unknown reasons. 95 5.97%
Voters: 1590. You may not vote on this poll

**Ultimate Galaxy S3 Unusual Freezing Thread**

Tip us?

yahyoh
Old
Thanks Meter 1874
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhariamine View Post
So far, users are reporting Chrome and Facebook as one of the sources of the freezing in Galaxy s3.More to come, Share ur experiences down
WOW the same here

my sister told me her device stuck because of the damn facebook too
Gnote2 Rom: XXUFNE1 kernel: Stock
Galaxy S2 ROM: XWMS3 4.1.2 Kernel: Stock
MOTO G ROM : 4.4.2 Kernel :stock

nhariamine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyoh View Post
WOW the same here

my sister told me her device stuck because of the damn facebook too
Sorry and glad to hear this, but other users are reporting freezing without Facebook or Chrome ;"Unknown Reasons" which is odd...

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500
Model: 16GB
Colour: Black Mist
External Storage: 32GB Class 6
ROM: Omega v14.1 | Base: UBUBMH1 | JB 4.2.2
Kernel: Adam Kernel
Recovery: PhilZ Recovery
Theme: TSF Shell themed

Modem: UBUBMH1
XDA developers

Older Device : Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300

yahyoh
Old
Thanks Meter 1874
Quote:
Sorry and glad to hear this, but other users are reporting freezing without Facebook or Chrome ;"Unknown Reasons" which is odd...
ok there is now many reasons to count in : the SDS fix ? but is happening on cm10.1 too ?? facebook or chrome ? many user have reported

i think if its the SDS fix it should happen on cm10.1 too , maybe some of cm user can help us

nhariamine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
ok there is now many reasons to count in : the SDS fix ? but is happening on cm10.1 too ?? facebook or chrome ? many user have reported

i think if its the SDS fix it should happen on cm10.1 too , maybe some of cm user can help us
SDS in my opinion has nothing to do with freezing, but in some cases discussed on several threads, they said that the level of damage taken by the eMMC chips is what is causing freezes and eventually and upcoming Sudden Death, but not sure if this is right, will keep you posted !

XDA developers

yahyoh
Old
Thanks Meter 1874
Quote:
SDS in my opinion has nothing to do with freezing, but in some cases discussed on several threads, they said that the level of damage taken by the eMMC chips is what is causing freezes and eventually and upcoming Sudden Death, but not sure if this is right, will keep you posted !
but some people have reported the leaving the phone to unfreeze it self will help to get less freezes

maybe Sammy SDS fix codes are doing something in the background to fix the eMMC when the phone get freeze

nhariamine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
but some people have reported the leaving the phone to unfreeze it self will help to get less freezes

maybe Sammy SDS fix codes are doing something in the background to fix the eMMC when the phone get freeze
Interesting ; Happened to me on friday iwas charging my phone normally and gone out, i returned home to check it and it was ice cold "Completely frozen" LED is off and phone completely off, pulled out the battery on put it back on and my S3 Booted successfully. Andreilux DEV of perseus kernel said that samsung didn't fix the problem entirely and that update 7 is not a "Permanant fix" for SDS and has got to have a complete kernel fix to prevent once and for all the SDS problem, so maybe this is one the disadvantages of the momentarily fix of SDS implemented in custom kernel and custom recoveries.

XDA developers

yahyoh
Old
Thanks Meter 1874
Quote:
Interesting ; Happened to me on friday iwas charging my phone normally and gone out, i returned home to check it and it was ice cold "Completely frozen" LED is off and phone completely off, pulled out the battery on put it back on and my S3 Booted successfully. Andreilux DEV of perseus kernel said that samsung didn't fix the problem entirely and that update 7 is not a "Permanant fix" for SDS and has got to have a complete kernel fix to prevent once and for all the SDS problem, so maybe this is one the disadvantages of the momentarily fix of SDS implemented in custom kernel and custom recoveries.
yep as u said probably its not the Permanent fix

maybe Sammy trying to find safe way to update the eMMC firmware or the Permanent fix

and if its not implemented in kernels and recoveries the chance of getting dead phone is very high

nhariamine
Old
(Last edited by nhariamine; 10th February 2013 at 06:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
yep as u said probably its not the Permanent fix

maybe Sammy trying to find safe way to update the eMMC firmware or the Permanent fix

and if its not implemented in kernels and recoveries the chance of getting dead phone is very high
Me and other fellow mates on xda who thought hopefully that the nightmare of SDS is gone,apparently it's not, probably it's getting worse and worse with every day of use, that why am not using my s3 for heavy stuff like always, i pull the battery out for the night just to put it back on in morning. i really like the s3, and this problem will influence my desire of if or if not i am going to buy the next flagship device from samsung.

XDA developers

nhariamine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alishankiti View Post
I've had constant freezes when I upgraded to 4.1.2. I tried many versions. all the same.

I rolled back to 4.1.1 and the phone is freeze free for one week now.
Overall,some Android 4.1.2 builds with SDS fix is one of reasons for freezing.

XDA developers

Rethrick
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi guys!

I'm new here, I just registered in order to see if other people were having the 'freezing' problem. I got my Galaxy S3 in summer thanks to Vodafone, that gave me the phone free. It has always worked smoothly without any troubles, but it started to freeze last month, I can't remember exactly when it started but I do remember that it solved by itself, and it hasn't been freezing until yesterday. Yesterday I received a software update notification, and I decided to update the phone, I think it was 26mb to download, so it took just a few minutes to download and install, when it finished updating I saw the notification saying that the phone had been correctly updated, but when I tapped OK the phone froze then I restarted it by holding 10s the power button, and it's been freezing until now.

I've reading about this 'XXELLA' problem and I haven't been able to find a solution. For me, it's not a WiFi/Connection problem, it freezes anyway with/without being connection (I don't have 3G) and I'm not sure about how to unistall Chrome, there's only a 'delete updates' option in the App manager, and it downloads again by itself. I also read a possible solution in another forum: [...] In the dialler, type *#0011#. You'll go into the service mode. Select wi-fi using the menu button and you should see a toggle to disable WPS mode. Change it to OFF, I haven't tried that yet, but maybe I'll try that later. Is there any other solution? I know that the first time that I had this annoying problem it fixed by itself, but I'm afraid that the constant freezing may cause several damage to the phone, I think I'm going to send it to Vodafone since I have the phone in warranty.

Thanks for your time, and sorry if my English isn't correct, I speak spanish.

Tags
freeze, freezing, lockup, sds, ultimate galaxy s3 unusual freezing thread