**Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**

13th February 2013, 07:40 AM   |  #4301  
Thanks Meter: 72

627 posts
Now I'm confused about SDS -- after seemingly being able to read all the memory cleanly. I'm not far off sending to service, but would this be a waste? Hummm

I posted complete details in another thread -- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post37929853
13th February 2013, 10:34 AM   |  #4302  
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Thumbs down
Seems like the warranty is void when rooting a SGSIII, according to Samsung. My phone was sent in for service, but they concluded that it's been rooted earlier and therefor is the warranty not valid and I had to paid for it to be repaired.
I contacted Samsung VOC regarding root and warranty, and this was what the told me:

Swedish:
Quote:

Tack för ditt mejl.
Just när det gäller en så kallad ”rooting” av mobiltelefoners operativsystem så upphör Samsungs garanti att gälla för produkten, främst då för att en icke auktoriserad serviceverkstads tekniker har låst upp mobilens fasta operativsystem. Därav räknas detta som yttre påverkan och då gäller inte garantin. Ej heller om man som kund installerar operativsystem eller programvara som ej är avsett för produkten. (Exempelvis en felaktig uppdatering eller icke kompatibel programvara som kan vara skadlig för produkten).

Därför kan vi ej nå dina förväntningar på en kostnadsfri åtgärd på din produkt. Jag beklagar men Samsungs garantiföreskrifter kan vi inte ändra på och det är dem vi måste rätta oss efter. Ledsen att jag inte kan hjälpa dig vidare.

Ha en fortsatt bra dag!

Best regards / Med vänliga hälsningar
Peter
Voice of Customer/Reklamationsavdelningen
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB

English via Google Translate:
Quote:

Thank you for your email.
Just in terms of a so-called "rooting" of mobile phones operating system will cease Samsung warranty is valid for the product, primarily to a non-authorized service engineering techniques have unlocked the phone's solid operating system. Hence, this counts as external influences and the warranty valid. Nor if the customer installs the operating system or software that is not intended for the product. (For example, a faulty update or non-compatible software that can be harmful to the product).

Therefore, we can not reach your expectations of a free action on your product. I am sorry but Samsung warranty regulations, we can not change and it is them we have to abide by. Sorry I can not help you further.

Have a good day!

Best regards / Sincerely
Peter
Voice of Customer / Complaints department
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB

How can I respond? What can I do?
13th February 2013, 10:36 AM   |  #4303  
Flag Podgorica
Thanks Meter: 23

161 posts
More
Re: **Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsson86

Seems like the warranty is void when rooting a SGSIII, according to Samsung. My phone was sent in for service, but they concluded that it's been rooted earlier and therefor is the warranty not valid and I had to paid for it to be repaired.
I contacted Samsung VOC regarding root and warranty, and this was what the told me:

Swedish:

Grab a tissue and cry.. Or go to samsung repair centre and dramatically breal the phone in the main hall

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
13th February 2013, 10:41 AM   |  #4304  
Flag Parañaque
Thanks Meter: 147

473 posts
More
Quote:

Swedish:

No other way, you have to pay for it. Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my GT-I9300 with Omega v42 + Yank555.lu v3.1i
13th February 2013, 11:00 AM   |  #4305  
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Then this in the first post is incorrect and should be deleted?

Quote:

WARRANTY
For those of you in Europe who have rooted your phone it appears that this doesn't void warranty. Check this thread for more info.
Also this website could prove very handy for anyone with a European or UK handset that has died.

13th February 2013, 11:12 AM   |  #4306  
Thanks Meter: 12

34 posts
Quote:

Then this in the first post is incorrect and should be deleted?

As somebody who also had to pay for getting the main board in my phone replaced just because it was rooted and showed all the signs others have mentioned prior to SDS I agree that any mention of rooting not voiding the warranty in the EU should be removed or at least modified to say Samsung won't agree to it. It was because I'd read all over here that rooting didn't void the warranty that I felt safe enough sending my phone in that state. I've learned my lesson, but I'd hate for anybody else to have to pay what I had to pay and have the absolute hassle I had trying to get Samsung to listen to my point. It still infuriates me that I had to pay for their ****ty hardware fault!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
13th February 2013, 11:22 AM   |  #4307  
Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 26

353 posts
More
I wonder if there's a fear psychosis now about buying s3 at least from those who know about sds. I certainly am having a rethink given one bad experience.
Surprising that Samsung is taking this so lightly despite us being a small minority.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
13th February 2013, 01:18 PM   |  #4308  
Thanks Meter: 24

370 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsboyo

any mention of rooting not voiding the warranty in the EU should be removed or at least modified to say Samsung won't agree to it.

Just because Samsung successfully "got one over on you" doesn't mean they're not breaking EU law in the process. It just means they refused you authoritatively enough that you didn't feel like following up with legal action. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1998801
13th February 2013, 01:55 PM   |  #4309  
Thanks Meter: 12

34 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBeer

Just because Samsung successfully "got one over on you" doesn't mean they're not breaking EU law in the process. It just means they refused you authoritatively enough that you didn't feel like following up with legal action. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1998801

It's not that I don't "feel like following up with legal action" it's that I have no clue how to go about it.

I've written to the FSFE website asking them for their help but had no response. It's all very well them telling you that you won't void your warranty by rooting your phone, but if there's no help for you to ensure that you get your full consumer rights it's useless.

I haven't given up on the fight in the slightest. I'm just trying to figure out how to move forward...

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote:

It's not that I don't "feel like following up with legal action" it's that I have no clue how to go about it.

I've written to the FSFE website asking them for their help but had no response. It's all very well them telling you that you won't void your warranty by rooting your phone, but if there's no help for you to ensure that you get your full consumer rights it's useless.

I haven't given up on the fight in the slightest. I'm just trying to figure out how to move forward...

Edit: ...And for the record I felt there was nothing I could do. I was without my phone for almost a month, THEY had it and were refusing to fix it unless I paid for it. They're at the other end of the country from where I am. There really was nothing I could do except pay, or get the phone back unfixed. I would like to know what you would have suggested I do in that situation. I was already pissed off that I'd had to do without my phone for so long. As you can imagine, this whole situation has left a very sour taste in my mouth. There are no words strong enough to describe how I feel about Samsung right now!
13th February 2013, 02:01 PM   |  #4310  
Thanks Meter: 24

370 posts
Quote:

I would like to know what you would have suggested I do in that situation.

In most EU countries, legal insurance is available for about 10 euros a month. One call and they jump into action on your behalf. Well worth the money.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread