5,595,196 Members 45,247 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

**Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**

Tip us?

Vrykyl
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Well my pre-paid envelope arrived from Samsung today - so my handset is going off in tomorrow's post to be repaired (hopefully for free / under warranty).

For those stressing about being rooted etc - relax, Samsung have told multiple people this issue is a hardware fault and they'll fix it regardless of root.
Also fyi - as soon as your product name goes blank, the system status changes to 'custom' automatically - or at least thats what the dude on the phone said! So it doesn't instantly tell them your rooted
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vrykyl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

estpoc
Old
Thanks Meter 8
My s3 died overnight while charging. The day before it was acting up, slow, freezing, I even flashed an older nightly to try to solve.
It wouldn't turn on, tried jig, another battery from a friend, completely dead.
They replaced the motherboard in 7 days for free, good service.
Was running cm10, no custom kernel or oc.
The day it died I charged on a friends house in a galaxy s2 charger, if not mistaken.
It died 6 months after purchase. Made in Brazil, 6/2012, battery cell made in Korea, assembled in China.

Sent from my XT890 using xda app-developers app

cyberdroxxx
Old
Thanks Meter 29

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandArcher View Post
This thread scare the hell out of me. 50 pages of dead phones in a single month. Are you saying that normal life span for this phone is half a year ?!? Or its just unfortunate small percentage out of millions sold ? Cause I don't recall similar threads in HTC forum !
I would not be worried about this as long as my device is still under warranty.

My Galaxy Note 2 N7100 screen had dead pixel lines showing up lately. Samsung changed
the front assembly + screen without any question asked. They even fixed a new screen protector on it.
I was aware that my previous screen protector had already had scratches and my front bezel had a few dents.

I will be very worried if the phone died exactly on the last day of warranty.
That can happen to any device regardless of manufacturer.
Current Devices still running strong:
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
New iPad 3G

Retired,

Sony Ericsson Satio, Touch Diamond 2, Touch Pro 2 -WM 6.5

fjfcb
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Mother of god, my phone has 5 months of use, is it the case for me to restore Stock firmware and reset flash counter with Triangle away??

What u guys suggest me? i'm affraid my phone dies too and i paid like $1100 for it (i live in brazil, so everything is as expensive as hell here)

Nees3
Old
Thanks Meter 6
could those early adopters(shortly after launch) check the hardware version with dmidfield something whatode *#2222#

and the ones who had it repaired also, to see if it is newer?
bought mine end of August, got version 1.3.

also add your month of purchase.

I'm not 100% sure that info is correct with that dialercode... if someone knows, correct me.

anyway, still curious what others have.

fjfcb
Old
Thanks Meter 33
purchased mine in july, have FW 1.3
five months of use, perfectly working, but i'm afraid and thinking about restoring it to stock and triangle away it...
The Following User Says Thank You to fjfcb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

schinden
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi,

Well, at 2:15 19.12.2012 I picked up the phone from my desk, did not move it from about 22.00 since that time has been connected into the charger. It does not respond to the buttons, but it was flashing blue LED, removed the battery and I was trying to turn it on... nothing no reaction, so I pulled the battery again, here we go again ... I have two spare batteries charged up before, so I think maybe the battery... the same thing, nothing, Download mode also does not work, I have no Jig to see if it will help.

In the phone I had Darky Rom III v8 with touch recovery and siyah kernel for a 4 maybe 5 days, it was working normally nothing was wrong.

What can I do? Will Jig help?
If I'll give it to guarantees purposes, they will find root and Darky Rom and everything is gone? Right?

No idea what else to try...it's an expensive brick I assume

Any suggestions???

fjfcb
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by schinden View Post
Hi,

Well, at 2:15 19.12.2012 I picked up the phone from my desk, did not move it from about 22.00 since that time has been connected into the charger. It does not respond to the buttons, but it was flashing blue LED, removed the battery and I was trying to turn it on... nothing no reaction, so I pulled the battery again, here we go again ... I have two spare batteries charged up before, so I think maybe the battery... the same thing, nothing, Download mode also does not work, I have no Jig to see if it will help.

In the phone I had Darky Rom III v8 with touch recovery and siyah kernel for a 4 maybe 5 days, it was working normally nothing was wrong.

What can I do? Will Jig help?
If I'll give it to guarantees purposes, they will find root and Darky Rom and everything is gone? Right?

No idea what else to try...it's an expensive brick I assume

Any suggestions???
some here managed to get their phone repaired even with custom rom and root for free, some others had to pay... my suggestion is to RMA it and cross fingers

karimayubar
Old
Thanks Meter 2
What happened: Used my phone in the morning of 12/10/2012. Put it on my desk after 30 mins of using. When I picked it up and pressed the power button, phone did not respond, no LED lights whatsoever. Tried to connect to a charger but didn't charge. Tried removing the battery and replacing it but didn't work still. Had to send to the service center and was told to wait for 7 days as it might be due to a faulty mother board. Just used it for 6 months. 7 days after, my wife's S3 suddenly died, phone won't boot and stucked on the start up screen. Did all the tricks of restarting but didn't work. She's been using it for 5 months only.
What ROM/Firmware: Both are Stock (Updated to Official Jelly Bean by Samsung OTA)
What kernel: Stock
OC or UV: No
Where phone was made: No Idea, I am in Singapore
Where battery was made: No Idea

2 S3 phones died in the span of 7 days on the same household. Looks like S3 has a life span of only 6 months. Hopefully not.

shethsa
Old
Thanks Meter 25
same probelm here (hilited a few pages back).

Finally got my phone back in 4 days from the service centre and I had to pay the equivalent of US$ 140 for the motherboard replacement. This is India after all - zero customer protection laws. Svc center guys claimed it is waterlogging, which I vehemently denied but if I wanted my phone back there was no choice but to pay up.

Wrote to Samsung India CEO whose pathetic response (from some guy on his team probably) was to ask me for the nth time what my problem was and to say sorry, this is not covered under warranty. So I guess even the CEO's powers are the same as that of the service center - and the consumer be damned.

Anyways, phone's up and running now, but wonder for how long. Svc center guy suggested not to overcharge the phone and to remove the plug once fully charged - what a truly high tech solution for the world's highest selling phone.