Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,772 Members 51,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

**Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**

Tip us?
 
Rob2222
Old
#4331  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 298
Posts: 410
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default AW: **Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**

@aalvico:
Yes, normally system status custom is the correct indicator for a rooted phone.

BUT in case of "half" sudden death system status switches to custom even if the phone was never! rooted.

And yes, when the service center does not know this fact, this can lead to their assumption, that the phone was rooted even if is was not rooted.

German service centers know it now, that custom & product name empty = half sudden death.

BR
Rob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob2222 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
scottcwhite
Old
(Last edited by scottcwhite; 16th February 2013 at 04:25 AM.)
#4332  
scottcwhite's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 227
Posts: 1,663
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default Re: **Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetanolip View Post
fix from xda is arriving....

Inviato dal mio GT-N7100 con Tapatalk 2
Fix does no good when my phone is already dead.


Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
NEXUS 4: PARANOID ANDROID 4.4 / SLIMkat 4.4
SGSIII GT-I9300: Stock rooted and for sale
Captivate: SLIM ICS 4.2 with Semaphore 1.2.6sc for sale
SGTab 10.1: KitKat
 
aalvico
Old
#4333  
aalvico's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 84
Posts: 687
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: São Paulo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2222 View Post
@aalvico:
Yes, normally system status custom is the correct indicator for a rooted phone.

BUT in case of "half" sudden death system status switches to custom even if the phone was never! rooted.


And yes, when the service center does not know this fact, this can lead to their assumption, that the phone was rooted even if is was not rooted.

German service centers know it now, that custom & product name empty = half sudden death.

BR
Rob

an additional question....if was root the product name would be empty too ?
 
Dark Smile
Old
#4334  
Dark Smile's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 16
Join Date: Feb 2013
I have a strange behavior on my phone.
It started freezing after 2 weeks since i received the updated (custom stock). So i left it and after 20 minutes of waiting it went on normally. But the problem was it happens every hour or so.
The strange think about my case was, it only happened while mobile data connection or wifi was turned on. Wifi not that often as when mobile data connection was used. So turning off data connection prevented my phone from freezing but that was no solution for me cause then i could go back to some 1900 cellphones lol

I decided to go to custom rom (CyanogenMod 10.1) and then it does not happen again for 2 weeks. The it started to freeze again 2 days ago.
Even with CyanogenMod it's the same behavior that it only freezes with data connection on.

Anyone has some advice for me ?

Cheers,
Dark Smile
 
ludovicianul
Old
#4335  
ludovicianul's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 175
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: cluj-napoca
Guys - is there a way to fully brick the phone to send it in service and get the motherboard replace. I just can't stand the freezes!!!
I'm a genius, but I don't like to show it all the time.
 
Aero_med
Old
#4336  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 17
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Smile View Post
I have a strange behavior on my phone.
It started freezing after 2 weeks since i received the updated (custom stock). So i left it and after 20 minutes of waiting it went on normally. But the problem was it happens every hour or so.
The strange think about my case was, it only happened while mobile data connection or wifi was turned on. Wifi not that often as when mobile data connection was used. So turning off data connection prevented my phone from freezing but that was no solution for me cause then i could go back to some 1900 cellphones lol

I decided to go to custom rom (CyanogenMod 10.1) and then it does not happen again for 2 weeks. The it started to freeze again 2 days ago.
Even with CyanogenMod it's the same behavior that it only freezes with data connection on.

Anyone has some advice for me ?

Cheers,
Dark Smile
Sorry dude,
It might stop freezing and it might die. Mine died after downgrading via kies to 4.1.1 about a week later.
Nothing you can do about it. Prey if you are religious.

check out this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2122346

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovicianul View Post
Guys - is there a way to fully brick the phone to send it in service and get the motherboard replace. I just can't stand the freezes!!!
Downgrade to 4.1.1 and wait.
keep in mind it might be a Semi-Brick, which means problems with the warranty.
 
Rob2222
Old
#4337  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 298
Posts: 410
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalvico View Post
an additional question....if was root the product name would be empty too ?
As far as I know, yes. The old phone state doesn't matter anything.

In "half" sudden death case it switches to empty/no/official/custom, don't matter what it was before "half" sudden death.

BR
Rob

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Smile View Post
I decided to go to custom rom (CyanogenMod 10.1) and then it does not happen again for 2 weeks. The it started to freeze again 2 days ago.
Even with CyanogenMod it's the same behavior that it only freezes with data connection on.
Anyone has some advice for me ?
Cheers, Dark Smile
Please try this and report back here or in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post37976063

BR and good luck
Rob
 
Dark Smile
Old
#4338  
Dark Smile's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 16
Join Date: Feb 2013
@Aero_med:
I'll pay


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2222 View Post
As far as I know, yes. The old phone state doesn't matter anything.

In "half" sudden death case it switches to empty/no/official/custom, don't matter what it was before "half" sudden death.

BR
Rob

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------



Please try this and report back here or in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post37976063

BR and good luck
Rob
First suggestion is working, everytime it freezes i wait for about 20 (+/- 10) minutes and then it keeps on working. I try the dummy file generator this evening and give feedback.

Thanks,

Dark Smile
The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Smile For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jerzee201
Old
#4339  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default Dead GS3

Welp,

My phone just suddenly died yesterday, in the middle of the day right after I locked the phone. Got the phone around July 31 so it's just about on the 6mo mark. Rooted with the latest CleanROM(4.1.1).

Contacted Samsung and it would have taken at least 10days turn around time, 2 days Fedex to Texas, then 5-7 business days for the actual repair. NO way I can function without a phone for that long.

Instead I contact VZW and they overnighted a replacement which I'll get today for the expedited cost of $12.99. Talked to the tech handling my case and they're not fully aware of the issue(so they say), despite Samsung officially acknowleding it.

Which leads to my question why most are going directly to Samsung for their warranty repair when VZW will honor the 1year mftr's, who will ship you a replacement. This question only applies to those who got their phones from their cellular provider. Don't most offer this kind of service?

cheers
 
Product F(RED)
Old
#4340  
Product F(RED)'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2570
Posts: 8,816
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzee201 View Post
Welp,

My phone just suddenly died yesterday, in the middle of the day right after I locked the phone. Got the phone around July 31 so it's just about on the 6mo mark. Rooted with the latest CleanROM(4.1.1).

Contacted Samsung and it would have taken at least 10days turn around time, 2 days Fedex to Texas, then 5-7 business days for the actual repair. NO way I can function without a phone for that long.

Instead I contact VZW and they overnighted a replacement which I'll get today for the expedited cost of $12.99. Talked to the tech handling my case and they're not fully aware of the issue(so they say), despite Samsung officially acknowleding it.

Which leads to my question why most are going directly to Samsung for their warranty repair when VZW will honor the 1year mftr's, who will ship you a replacement. This question only applies to those who got their phones from their cellular provider. Don't most offer this kind of service?

cheers
Well this thread is about the international version (i9300), but interesting that your Verizon version died.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes