[VIDEO] Kiktat update canceled due apps implement.... WHAT?

10th May 2014, 08:31 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 1,228

877 posts
More
Hello XDA community!

As you know, Sammobile announced that I9300 won't get official Kitkat update from Samsung. You can get more information from there;

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/05/07/...kitkat-update/

But Samsung released official Kitkat update for International Note 2 (N7100) from OTA. Almost everyone believed in this update is canceled because of low RAM. I did not believe it. So, I started to work to boot N7100XXUFND3 on I9300.

The ROM is about 1.8 GB, we have 1.5 GB partition size for system. There is no way to boot on NAND without partition eMMC. I partitioned my 16GB sdcard and install the ROM to sdcard. I changed the kernel from I9300XXUGNB6. And it booted.

It's running pretty smooth even running on sdcard. Of course it crashes sometimes, but not a big deal. The most important things are not working too (like RIL, WiFi)

Here's a video of demonstration;

Here's RAM usage;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3U...it?usp=sharing

So, What's your opinion about canceling update?
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to forumber2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 08:42 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 127

613 posts
More
Only commercials, if they update an with years old phone they don't sell more s4 and s5

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk
10th May 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 327

1,030 posts
Great job brother but huge disappointment as Google stated that kk can work on devices lower than 512mb of ram easily yet Samsung cancelled it due to ram limitations not genuine reason possibly they would bring a update in the near future neglecting a flagship device is seriously awful!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sulaimanshariff For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 10:23 AM   |  #4  
Flag DevConnection
Thanks Meter: 4,322

2,609 posts
More
Well have kitkat, believe me. If you do the same with the KitKat update for the GT-I9305 instead of the Note2 firmware it will be better. Wifi will work, and RIL most probably too after some little changes.
I will try my best to port the upcoming GT-I9305 KitKat update to the GT-I9305. If you could tell me what you have done in order to port the firmware, that would be awesome! Maybe we can team up and start porting as soon as the update is available?

BTW: Why havent you debloated the rom to shrink it a bit? Removing all unnessesary apps from /system/app and /priv-app could make it smaller than 1,5GB
Last edited by XeLLaR*; 10th May 2014 at 10:35 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XeLLaR* For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 10:43 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Istanbul

877 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeLLaR*

Well have kitkat, believe me. If you do the same with the KitKat update for the GT-I9305 instead of the Note2 firmware it will be better. Wifi will work, and RIL most probably too after some little changes.
I will try my best to port the upcoming GT-I9305 KitKat update to the GT-I9305. If you could tell me what you have done in order to port the firmware, that would be awesome! Maybe we can team up and start porting as soon as the update is available?

BTW: Why havent you debloated the rom to shrink it a bit? Removing all unnessesary apps from /system/app and /priv-app could make it smaller than 1,5GB

-If Samsung release Kitkat for GT-I9305, I'll do my best for porting it to I9300 too.
-I don't want to remove any apk for testing RAM usage (reason of cancelling)
-I changed only kernel, and it booted.
-We can make a team for porting of course, why not?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to forumber2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 11:18 AM   |  #6  
Flag DevConnection

2,609 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumber2

-If Samsung release Kitkat for GT-I9305, I'll do my best for porting it to I9300 too.
-I don't want to remove any apk for testing RAM usage (reason of cancelling)
-I changed only kernel, and it booted.
-We can make a team for porting of course, why not?

Ahh that makes sense amd im happynto hear that you want to team up! In the past i have ported several things and i think that we can do it together! The only thinh i worry about is the RIL. Lets hope samsung releases the S3 LTE firmware soon so we can start working on it.
Also a thing with the S3 LTE is that it has a different partition layout. We must take care of that and be very carefull in what we do. Unlike the note2 we cant just flash it and see what happens.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XeLLaR* For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 11:27 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Istanbul

877 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeLLaR*

Ahh that makes sense amd im happynto hear that you want to team up! In the past i have ported several things and i think that we can do it together! The only thinh i worry about is the RIL. Lets hope samsung releases the S3 LTE firmware soon so we can start working on it.
Also a thing with the S3 LTE is that it has a different partition layout. We must take care of that and be very carefull in what we do. Unlike the note2 we cant just flash it and see what happens.

Note 2 has a different partitio layout too.
The Following User Says Thank You to forumber2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 01:33 PM   |  #8  
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 4

19 posts
More
Thumbs up
as a normal user, I'm going to hope that Samsung leaks GS3 KitKat Drivers, Kernel and sth like that.. And if they do, it may help you developers.

Thanks for trying to help all of us Kitkat wanters
10th May 2014, 01:41 PM   |  #9  
Flag DevConnection

2,609 posts
More
Sam**** will definetly not release any Kernel source without releasing a rom along with it. Thats for sure. But we can take stuff from GT-i9305 and Note2 so were good for the next time....atleast till the next major Android version.

10th May 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #10  
Flag Trento
Thanks Meter: 109

243 posts
More
A few thoughts:
-RIL: I guess the baseband is loading modem FW from NAND even when booting from SD card. Could also be an EFS issue.
-WiFi is probably Knox interfering with module loading, as seen on the I9305.
-Storage is a consequence of booting from SD card.
-Sensors are either a HW mismatch between S3 and NoteII, or a failure to mount the Firmware partition.

Try to debloat and flash on NAND.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread