Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,971 Members 44,093 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.3 update issues - worth doing a factory reset?

Tip us?

spencetj
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] 4.3 update issues - worth doing a factory reset?

I have an international S3 LTE i9305 (unrooted) and took the OTE update to 4.3 a few weeks ago, after much deliberation about whether to risk it. In the end it was more finger trouble than decision, I hit the wrong button when I meant to postpone it again!

It hasn't been too bad since the update but there are a few issues. I have googled it of course but much of the information relates to the i9300 not the i9305, and to the earlier versions of the update. I only got the notification of an update in Jan 2014 so I guess its a later build and maybe some of the original bugs have been fixed (or replaced with different bugs!).

Issues I have noticed:
  • Audio playback skips quite frequently regardless of which player I use or whether the file in on the internal or external SD card
  • Battery consumption is worse. After a day of light usgage I could previosuly still have 50-60% battery, now its regularly down to 30% or less.
  • Wireless charging behaviour is odd. If the phone is still powered on its works as normal (phone displays wireless charging message, screen goes off and charging light is on). If the phone is off it used to display a wireless symbol something like a battery with circles around it, then the battery with the remaining charge level in green, then the screen goes off and the red charging light comes on until its charged then the light goes green. Since the update it doesn't display the wireless symbol any more, it just displays the battery symbol but its all grey like its at 0%. Eventually the screen dims then turns off but the charging light doesn't come on. It does seem to charge normally like it did before though.
  • I am using an HTC USB power supply with the wireless charger. When I used the Samsung one sometimes it appeared to be charging but after being left overnight the battery level had barely increased. It sometimes does the same thing with the Samsung charger plugged in ie not wireless.

I have 3 (dumb) questions. I apologise for my lack of knowledge!
  • Is a factory reset likely to fix any of these, or alternatively make anyting worse?!
  • I have the options checked to backup settings to google and automatically restore. If I do a factory reset, what happens? I think I did it once and it downloaded all my apps from the Play store automatically but how much of the settings will be restored? I also have MyBackup Pro which should be able to restore a lot of stuff but not the app settings. I have a lot of stuff installed so I don't want to go through the pain of setting it all up again if its not going to fix the problems anyway.
  • I have included all the versions numbers below from my system info, can anyone tell me what they mean?

On the plus side, since the update my phone remembers Swype it the default keyboard and I don't have to select it every time I turn the phone on.

Small update - I enabled the CPU usage overlay in Developer Options this morning to see if it would tell me anything, then disabled it again because I couldn't even read it. Since then the audio playback seems to have been OK, but its only been a couple of hours.

Android 4.3
Baseband I9305ZHUCMK1
Kernel 3.0.31-2377771
Build JSS15J.I9305ZHUCNA1

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4416
OTA update problems yes backup data and factory reset .

spencetj
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks.

Are any of the app settings backed up to my google account? If not is there any way to back them up so I don't have to configure everything again, without being rooted?

fred_up
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencetj View Post
Thanks.

Are any of the app settings backed up to my google account? If not is there any way to back them up so I don't have to configure everything again, without being rooted?
Your Google account does not back up a lot of things - settings for downloaded apps and among other things SMS texts. I use the free app Mobile Backup & Restore from Trend Micro.

tissot
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_up View Post
Your Google account does not back up a lot of things - settings for downloaded apps and among other things SMS texts. I use the free app Mobile Backup & Restore from Trend Micro.
Contacts is backed up to. Its an important part. As long as you created them for the google account.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jakmes
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I opened a similar topic few weeks ago, did a full reset, mainly for problems regarding the battery, haven't noticed significant changes, my only solution was changing the battery with the original extended, 3000 mah, now I can reach evening without problems... But with the regular 2100 with heavy use I wasn't anymore able to get past 6 pm.

painball
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmes View Post
I opened a similar topic few weeks ago, did a full reset, mainly for problems regarding the battery, haven't noticed significant changes, my only solution was changing the battery with the original extended, 3000 mah, now I can reach evening without problems... But with the regular 2100 with heavy use I wasn't anymore able to get past 6 pm.
Well. That depends on individual usage. It could be helpful to know screen on time, network connection, used apps/sync.

Always after update it's suggested to perform factory reset. About backup... Well. Tons of apps work better after clean install on newer version of OS. Ofc I'm not taking about small updated related to bug fixes/optimalisation but upgrading from 4.1 to 4.3 for example. It cost less effort than searching which app cause the problem and usability of Rom in our android devices.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9305 za pomocą Tapatalk 2