[Q] 4.3 update issues - worth doing a factory reset?
I have an international S3 LTE i9305 (unrooted) and took the OTE update to 4.3 a few weeks ago, after much deliberation about whether to risk it. In the end it was more finger trouble than decision, I hit the wrong button when I meant to postpone it again!
It hasn't been too bad since the update but there are a few issues. I have googled it of course but much of the information relates to the i9300 not the i9305, and to the earlier versions of the update. I only got the notification of an update in Jan 2014 so I guess its a later build and maybe some of the original bugs have been fixed (or replaced with different bugs!).
Issues I have noticed:
- Audio playback skips quite frequently regardless of which player I use or whether the file in on the internal or external SD card
- Battery consumption is worse. After a day of light usgage I could previosuly still have 50-60% battery, now its regularly down to 30% or less.
- Wireless charging behaviour is odd. If the phone is still powered on its works as normal (phone displays wireless charging message, screen goes off and charging light is on). If the phone is off it used to display a wireless symbol something like a battery with circles around it, then the battery with the remaining charge level in green, then the screen goes off and the red charging light comes on until its charged then the light goes green. Since the update it doesn't display the wireless symbol any more, it just displays the battery symbol but its all grey like its at 0%. Eventually the screen dims then turns off but the charging light doesn't come on. It does seem to charge normally like it did before though.
- I am using an HTC USB power supply with the wireless charger. When I used the Samsung one sometimes it appeared to be charging but after being left overnight the battery level had barely increased. It sometimes does the same thing with the Samsung charger plugged in ie not wireless.
I have 3 (dumb) questions. I apologise for my lack of knowledge!
- Is a factory reset likely to fix any of these, or alternatively make anyting worse?!
- I have the options checked to backup settings to google and automatically restore. If I do a factory reset, what happens? I think I did it once and it downloaded all my apps from the Play store automatically but how much of the settings will be restored? I also have MyBackup Pro which should be able to restore a lot of stuff but not the app settings. I have a lot of stuff installed so I don't want to go through the pain of setting it all up again if its not going to fix the problems anyway.
- I have included all the versions numbers below from my system info, can anyone tell me what they mean?
On the plus side, since the update my phone remembers Swype it the default keyboard and I don't have to select it every time I turn the phone on.
Small update - I enabled the CPU usage overlay in Developer Options this morning to see if it would tell me anything, then disabled it again because I couldn't even read it. Since then the audio playback seems to have been OK, but its only been a couple of hours.