Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 51,601 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4 [CM11 & CyanFox] No Picture upload possible with any Browser

Tip us?

Tlailaxu
Old
(Last edited by Tlailaxu; 29th January 2014 at 10:00 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default 4.4 [CM11 & CyanFox] No Picture upload possible with any Browser

Hi guys,

anyone got an idea why it itsn't possible AT ALL with Android 4.4 to post a picture on Facebook or other sites that allow uploading content?
The maximum reaction i get out of it is "failure opening file",it just doesn't work with any browser (tried Dolphin,Chrome,Firefox,Stock)

This happens on every 4.4 based ROM somehow,can't thank you enough for any input about this matter

edit: 85 views and not a single "yeah,i face the same problem" or "no problem on my side at all",whats up with that

edit2: it tested every 4.4 ROM now,not only CM11&CyanFox.Nowhere is the upload working trough Browser

Ultramanoid
Old
(Last edited by Ultramanoid; 29th January 2014 at 10:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlailaxu View Post
Hi guys,

anyone got an idea why it itsn't possible AT ALL with Android 4.4 to post a picture on Facebook or other sites that allow uploading content?
The maximum reaction i get out of it is "failure opening file",it just doesn't work with any browser (tried Dolphin,Chrome,Firefox,Stock)

This happens on every 4.4 based ROM somehow,can't thank you enough for any input about this matter

edit: 85 views and not a single "yeah,i face the same problem" or "no problem on my side at all",whats up with that

edit2: it tested every 4.4 ROM now,not only CM11&CyanFox.Nowhere is the upload working trough Browser
Google made changes in KitKat replacing webkit with chromium webview and broke file upload, text reflow, etc. Basically web browsing is awful in KitKat, Google is aware but won't revert the changes. The only workaround at present is to use Opera Beta, or Firefox nightlies, there are other browsers with file upload but I would not recommend them at all if you don't want spyware. CM just implemented some changes on last night's nightly to fix file upload, but it's done nothing for me so far, still broken. At least the CM team is aware and willing to fix things.

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/58210/

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/58211/

ノ・_・)ノ 先端技術

The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tlailaxu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Thank you for passing that info,this problem was/is driving me nuts and not reading anything about it other than my ramblings was the icing on the cake.

Maybe they can make it work again on CM
The Following User Says Thank You to Tlailaxu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ultramanoid
Old
(Last edited by Ultramanoid; 29th January 2014 at 01:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,115
Quote:
Thank you for passing that info,this problem was/is driving me nuts and not reading anything about it other than my ramblings was the icing on the cake.

Maybe they can make it work again on CM
I'd blame developers just as much as Google though. I understand it makes sense for them to use a web engine that Android provides for free and save time and money, but this is what happens when Google breaks something, suddenly 90% of browsers are broken. Firefox uses its own gecko engine and thus is unaffected, Opera shows a bit of spirit and patches chromium to fix these things, on the other hand. And then most people use apps instead of a browser to do things, so if some of us protest, it's not relevant.

Anyway, know that there are lots of complaints over at AOSP, but Google's reply is that these changes are intended and won't be reverted, so that's that.

Edit : "From what I understand the following is what is broken in KitKat webview :"

• text wrap no longer works
• cannot upload files
• cannot save passwords
• cannot force enable zoom
• no inverted rendering
• cannot play Flash videos (broken in 4.3 too)

ノ・_・)ノ 先端技術

The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tlailaxu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Woa,the rabbithole goes deeper & deeper.I thought this was a weird bug that just happens with custom ROMS of not officially supported devices but reading that it comes from Google (and they saying "deal with it") pushes this to a whole new level.

Ultramanoid
Old
Thanks Meter 1,115
Quote:
... reading that it comes from Google (and they saying "deal with it")...
KitKat is such a kick in the ... for anyone developing on Android or just using it. Here's another jewel.

ノ・_・)ノ 先端技術

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chemacky
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It looks like they're trying to restrict more and more things. The very reason many of us choose android over ios....

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Chemacky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tlailaxu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid View Post
KitKat is such a kick in the ... for anyone developing on Android or just using it. Here's another jewel.
This whole KitKat issue transforms to a scandal of some sort.If Google doesn`t change its current course,we will be on full lockdown like iOS in 2 or 3 revisions (Android 6 for example).This roadmap doesn`t make me happy at all

The Following User Says Thank You to Tlailaxu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]