[Q] Attempting to Recover Files on Internal Memory; New to Rooting

Tip us?

triface
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Attempting to Recover Files on Internal Memory; New to Rooting

Hi all,

The phone in question is a Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE. I'm kind of a newcomer to the rooting scene, although I have been doing research on and off since two years ago when I was still on a HTC Desire (I'm now on an S3 LTE) and on the verge of rooting my phone due to the abysmal internal memory.

I would like to recover photos from my sister's S3 LTE's internal memory. The S3 LTE uses MTP, so it complicates things somewhat when I try to use something like Recuva.

Question 1: My main concern about rooting is the unrooting process. From my understanding, TriangleAway is only required if I wish to reset my counter after flashing a custom ROM. However, I am not looking to do that; all I need is root access so I can create a copy of my internal memory onto my computer for recovering the files. Would I be right in saying that since I'm not flashing a custom ROM, there's no need for me to have to bother with TriangleAway since the counter wouldn't be increasing?

Question 2: I have obtained what I believe is a copy of the stock ROM I am currently on. However, the version doesn't match exactly, so I'm feeling kind of iffy about the prospect of flashing it onto my phone. Here's my phone's version:

AP: I9305XXBMD5
CP: I9305XXBMD5
CSC: I9305OLBBME1

Here's the closest that I can find:
PDA: I9305XXBMD5
CSC: I9305QLBBME1
MODEM: I9305XXBMD5

I'm not sure what those mean, so I reproduced what I saw on my phone when I dialed *#1234# and on Sammobile. Would the ROM be suitable?

Question 3: I am trying my best not to write anything to my internal memory because I would like to maximize the chances of me recovering the files. Does the process of rooting write data to my internal memory?

Question 4: I chanced upon this thread about backing up IMEI and NV data. I have no questions about that, but is there anything else that I should be looking to backup before I root and unroot? Would I be losing any form of data (such as messages, call logs, etc.) when I root? From what I understand, rooting only grants superuser access.

Raistlin1158
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by triface View Post
Hi all,

The phone in question is a Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE. I'm kind of a newcomer to the rooting scene, although I have been doing research on and off since two years ago when I was still on a HTC Desire (I'm now on an S3 LTE) and on the verge of rooting my phone due to the abysmal internal memory.

I would like to recover photos from my sister's S3 LTE's internal memory. The S3 LTE uses MTP, so it complicates things somewhat when I try to use something like Recuva.

Question 1: My main concern about rooting is the unrooting process. From my understanding, TriangleAway is only required if I wish to reset my counter after flashing a custom ROM. However, I am not looking to do that; all I need is root access so I can create a copy of my internal memory onto my computer for recovering the files. Would I be right in saying that since I'm not flashing a custom ROM, there's no need for me to have to bother with TriangleAway since the counter wouldn't be increasing?

Question 2: I have obtained what I believe is a copy of the stock ROM I am currently on. However, the version doesn't match exactly, so I'm feeling kind of iffy about the prospect of flashing it onto my phone. Here's my phone's version:

AP: I9305XXBMD5
CP: I9305XXBMD5
CSC: I9305OLBBME1

Here's the closest that I can find:
PDA: I9305XXBMD5
CSC: I9305QLBBME1
MODEM: I9305XXBMD5

I'm not sure what those mean, so I reproduced what I saw on my phone when I dialed *#1234# and on Sammobile. Would the ROM be suitable?

Question 3: I am trying my best not to write anything to my internal memory because I would like to maximize the chances of me recovering the files. Does the process of rooting write data to my internal memory?

Question 4: I chanced upon this thread about backing up IMEI and NV data. I have no questions about that, but is there anything else that I should be looking to backup before I root and unroot? Would I be losing any form of data (such as messages, call logs, etc.) when I root? From what I understand, rooting only grants superuser access.
Why not use a rooted stock that does not increase your count or change anything.

See here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1942150
xxxxxxxxxxx

Nex, Est Tantum Exordium... מוות רק ההתחלה... Смерть - только начало... 死だけを始めています。...

triface
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1158 View Post
Why not use a rooted stock that does not increase your count or change anything.

See here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1942150
Thanks for the reply!

So what I would do is unlock the bootloader and load the rooted stock, do my thing, then when I wish to unroot just flash an official stock? Or would the act of flashing the official stock increase the counter?

Theoretically, if I had previously wished to unroot my phone for warranty purposes, would I not have to worry about unrooting for that now, since the counter doesn't increase?

Raistlin1158
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by triface View Post
Thanks for the reply!

So what I would do is unlock the bootloader and load the rooted stock, do my thing, then when I wish to unroot just flash an official stock? Or would the act of flashing the official stock increase the counter?

Theoretically, if I had previously wished to unroot my phone for warranty purposes, would I not have to worry about unrooting for that now, since the counter doesn't increase?
All you do if follow the instructions and flash in Odin, the if you need to send it back flash a stock version from Sam's roms.

I use this and my phone shows that it is official, it can get OTA updates and in download mode it has a zero count.

You would only put it back to stock if your were sending it to Samsung
xxxxxxxxxxx

Nex, Est Tantum Exordium... מוות רק ההתחלה... Смерть - только начало... 死だけを始めています。...