Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,725 Members 37,782 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery Drain On s3 i19305

Tip us?

varun.k
Old
(Last edited by varun.k; 24th January 2013 at 03:10 PM.) Reason: Rom details
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Battery Drain On s3 i19305

Hi, need some help,

I got this phone a couple of days back, its an unlocked one. Battery on the phone seems to be draining faster than i expected it to. The first time i charged it, it took 3 hours in the afternoon. By night it was 20% this was after playing games and downloading through wifi, so it seemed ok. I then put it for charge overnight. The next day it still seemed to drained by 7pm only used whats app this day, so i had to put for charge again.

Once fully charged (2 hrs) I shut off wifi, bluetooth, nfc and others. Switched off smart stay options and the display is set to lowest brightness (not auto). The wallpapers is also black so it will not drain battery. Overnight without the phone being used (only thing i set was alarm) the charge went from 89% to 78%. During the day I also find the charge still dropping pretty rapidly. I have included the screen shot of the battery from the same day. Between the first pictures there is no difference in use and still drops by 3% in 20 mins or so.

Is this a problem with the battery or is that how it is?

(Stock, no changes to rom)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-24-14-20-29.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1672524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-24-14-37-31.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1672525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-24-14-37-44.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1672526  

adr6ian
Old
(Last edited by adr6ian; 24th January 2013 at 03:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Not sure if this is your specific problem - but one thing I've found that kills this phone fast is bad 4G cell reception. By default the phone runs as LTE/GSM/WCDMA (Auto) in Settings->Mobile Networks . If you are in a location with patchy (or none at all) 4G Coverage, the phone wastes an inordinate amount of juice switching to high-power mode on the cell radio searching for the elusive 4G/LTE ... Just like a 3G phone will deplete its battery extremly fast in a location with no/poor 3G connectivity (inside the 'secure' datacentres I wander into occasionally that have cell blockers, I can deplete the battery in a phone in about 3 hours just due to it constantly switching to high-power 'cell search' mode as it has no details on any cells to 'hand off' to....)

The difference is palpable... inside my office, if I have the phone on the right side of my desk closest to some windows, it will receive 'patchy' 4G and I'll go through about 60% battery over about 8-10 hours with intermittent phone use (most of the battery goes to screen time as I'm a 'fiddler' whenever I leave my desk for a coffee/break/etc...) If I place it on the left side of my desk, where the reception is much worse, it'll fall back to 3G and I'll go through about 80% battery doing nothing different...

I'm now in the habit of switching the phone to WCDMA Only when I'm going to be working in the bowels of the building, as there aint no hope of 4G there...Doing this drastically improves battery life.. Likewise if I'm stuck at home over the weekend, I leave it on WCDMA, as where I live has very patchy 4G as well and I only get it if I walk outside and down the street...

Just a possible reason for the excessive drain... at least worth trying anyway... *shrug*
Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-i9300)
The Following User Says Thank You to adr6ian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

varun.k
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr6ian View Post
Not sure if this is your specific problem - but one thing I've found that kills this phone fast is bad 4G cell reception. By default the phone runs as LTE/GSM/WCDMA (Auto) in Settings->Mobile Networks . If you are in a location with patchy (or none at all) 4G Coverage, the phone wastes an inordinate amount of juice switching to high-power mode on the cell radio searching for the elusive 4G/LTE ... Just like a 3G phone will deplete its battery extremly fast in a location with no/poor 3G connectivity (inside the 'secure' datacentres I wander into occasionally that have cell blockers, I can deplete the battery in a phone in about 3 hours just due to it constantly switching to high-power 'cell search' mode as it has no details on any cells to 'hand off' to....)

The difference is palpable... inside my office, if I have the phone on the right side of my desk closest to some windows, it will receive 'patchy' 4G and I'll go through about 60% battery over about 8-10 hours with intermittent phone use (most of the battery goes to screen time as I'm a 'fiddler' whenever I leave my desk for a coffee/break/etc...) If I place it on the left side of my desk, where the reception is much worse, it'll fall back to 3G and I'll go through about 80% battery doing nothing different...

I'm now in the habit of switching the phone to WCDMA Only when I'm going to be working in the bowels of the building, as there aint no hope of 4G there...Doing this drastically improves battery life.. Likewise if I'm stuck at home over the weekend, I leave it on WCDMA, as where I live has very patchy 4G as well and I only get it if I walk outside and down the street...

Just a possible reason for the excessive drain... at least worth trying anyway... *shrug*

Hi thanks for the reply. My phone does not show WCDMA in settings. It just has 2g/3g/4g/ auto OR 3g in network modes under mobile networks.

varun.k
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.k View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. My phone does not show WCDMA in settings. It just has 2g/3g/4g/ auto OR 3g in network modes under mobile networks.

I have used an app called "Radio Switcher" to activate "gsm auto (prl)", when i open the app it seems to go into "Device info". It seems to work but "Network mode" does not seem to change.

varun.k
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I have uploaded the screenshots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-24-22-24-03.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1673631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-24-22-24-32.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1673632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-24-22-24-27.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1673633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-24-22-24-57.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1673634  

varun.k
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Seems as though the system is using more battery than the screen itself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-25-00-53-12.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1673864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-25-00-53-19.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1673865  

Snowstormzzz
Old
Thanks Meter 30
The system seems to really take up way too much battery power. Mine is at 4%.

What are your sync settings? Especially for things like Weather, stocks, news etc. If you set them to sync every hour or so, your phone will keep running on the 3G network which will end up draining your battery.

Also, switch off motion. It's a cool feature, but it's not necessary. Same with auto-rotate.

Finally, use WiFi instead of 3G where possible. That saves battery too.

If you're rooted, download noFrills CPU control and reduce your max clock frequency on days where you won't get a charge. Phone runs well enough on 800mhz, but has a tendency to keep going at 1.4Ghz for no reason.

Otherwise, get a higher capacity battery

varun.k
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstormzzz View Post
The system seems to really take up way too much battery power. Mine is at 4%.

What are your sync settings? Especially for things like Weather, stocks, news etc. If you set them to sync every hour or so, your phone will keep running on the 3G network which will end up draining your battery.

Also, switch off motion. It's a cool feature, but it's not necessary. Same with auto-rotate.

Finally, use WiFi instead of 3G where possible. That saves battery too.

If you're rooted, download noFrills CPU control and reduce your max clock frequency on days where you won't get a charge. Phone runs well enough on 800mhz, but has a tendency to keep going at 1.4Ghz for no reason.

Otherwise, get a higher capacity battery
My sync is off, plus i have disabled sync for everything individuality and disabled all unwanted apps. Data service is also off, only use wi-fi. under motion only smart call is on and auto rotate us off.
I have uploaded a screen shot off after ti disable all these apps.(went to bed with 35% and was 28% in the mornin, turned wifi off before)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-25-09-27-32.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1674854  

varun.k
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Will upgrading (official) phone to android 4.1.2 help (current ver is 4.1.1)? Current base band version is i9305BVALI5 i got an update on kies to i9305BVALI3. I don't think this is update to 4.1.2 is it?

varun.k
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I have updated to 4.1.2, and applied only gsm setting in mobile network. All apps are still disabled as before. The system still seems to be suing most amount of battery, more than the screen. I do not know what is using the system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-26-09-12-06.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1677702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-26-09-12-13.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1677703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-26-09-12-19.jpg
Views:	524