Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,116 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Caught in Bootscreen loop - i9305 LTE have access to CWM! [SOLVED]

Tip us?

likeasir
Old
(Last edited by likeasir; 9th May 2014 at 08:21 AM.) Reason: added some more info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Caught in Bootscreen loop - i9305 LTE have access to CWM! [SOLVED]

My i9305 LTE is caught in a boot loop (just loops the start-up screen of any ROM I install). I have access to CWM recovery v6.0.4.5 and also download recovery.

The only thing I can think that might have caused this was when I installed Archidroid I (foolishly?) selected the only partition that wasn't ext4, to be set as ext4. It's not booted past any of the bootscreens on any ROM since I did this.

I've tried wiping all data and cache and also doing a data/factory reset and every "clear data" option available and I'm still caught in a boot screen loop on any ROM I try.

I've formatted each of the folders on the device by mounting and formatting (I don't need to keep any data on the phone) and then to get a new ROM on the phone I've inserted an SD Card, mounted it in CWM recovery and installed it from the .zip that way, all ROMs I've tried just lock up at their boot screen, it just loops over and over.

I've searched this forum and on Google but cannot find a solution or anyone with a similar issue, most that have had a similar looping problem say they performed an Odin factory reset, which brings me to my next question.

I don't know the region of my phone as I cannot access the dialler or any of my settings to find out the region, and forgot (as I rooted so long ago). I do have on the back of the phone the codes:

FCC ID: A3LGI9305
SSN: -I9305GSMH

as well as my IMEI #

How do I know my phone region, and which firmware/rom would I use to perform a full factory reset to at least get it booting again?

Any tips/ideas please, that would be much appreciated.

MaHo_66
Old
(Last edited by MaHo_66; 6th May 2014 at 02:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeasir View Post
My i9305 LTE is caught in a boot loop (just loops the start-up screen of any ROM I install). I have access to CWM recovery v6.0.4.5 and also download recovery.

The only thing I can think that might have caused this was when I installed Archidroid I (foolishly?) selected the only partition that wasn't ext4, to be set as ext4. It's not booted past any of the bootscreens on any ROM since I did this.

I've tried wiping all data and cache and also doing a data/factory reset and every "clear data" option available and I'm still caught in a boot screen loop on any ROM I try.

I've formatted each of the folders on the device by mounting and formatting (I don't need to keep any data on the phone) and then to get a new ROM on the phone I've inserted an SD Card, mounted it in CWM recovery and installed it from the .zip that way, all ROMs I've tried just lock up at their boot screen, it just loops over and over.

I've searched this forum and on Google but cannot find a solution or anyone with a similar issue, most that have had a similar looping problem say they performed an Odin factory reset, which brings me to my next question.

I don't know the region of my phone as I cannot access the dialler or any of my settings to find out the region, and forgot (as I rooted so long ago). I do have on the back of the phone the codes:

as well as my IMEI #

How do I know my phone region, and which firmware/rom would I use to perform a full factory reset to at least get it booting again?

what country do you live? the region is the country you live in, just search for your official firmware on sammobile or samsung update site. and download the firmware for your country, flash it with odin.

also update your recovery to the latest available in your case cwm 6.0.4.7
Rom: GalaxyS5Project (TW 4.4.2 KK PORT)
Modem: XXUEMK1
Recovery: Philz touch 6.48.4

- ODIN guide for Samsung smartphones

Show your appreciation and hit the button if anyone or I helped you out in any way !!

likeasir
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHo_66 View Post
what country do you live? the region is the country you live in, just search for your official firmware on sammobile or samsung update site. and download the firmware for your country, flash it with odin.

also update your recovery to the latest available in your case cwm 6.0.4.7
I live in Australia but am slightly worried as I bought my phone from Koga online so it's an internationally shipped phone I think originally intended for the uk as it had a uk adaptor for the plug does this matter?

MaHo_66
Old
Thanks Meter 293
Quote:
I live in Australia but am slightly worried as I bought my phone from Koga online so it's an internationally shipped phone I think originally intended for the uk as it had a uk adaptor for the plug does this matter?
Hmm... Good question. I understand your issue here but im afraid i cant answer this.. While it was working what firmware was running on it? What baseband? If you have any kind of info of the working firmware, analyze it with firmwares on those sites and try to find the one you need.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Rom: GalaxyS5Project (TW 4.4.2 KK PORT)
Modem: XXUEMK1
Recovery: Philz touch 6.48.4

- ODIN guide for Samsung smartphones

Show your appreciation and hit the button if anyone or I helped you out in any way !!

AMoizK
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:

as well as my IMEI #

Well I was in the same pickle
whicever 4.3 rom i flashed through odin i got stuck in boot logo or even if i recovered device from odin through emergency frimware and intillation
Also tried customs 4.3 roms stuck a boot logo
Here what u should try and what i did
1 flash philz recovery + 4.1.2 rom
if it works back up efs
2 Using Philz recovery wipe data factory reset + wipe cache + dalvik cache
3 in mount and storage section format everything ( THINK THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP )
4 Used odin to flash a 4.3 stock package it worked ( note u may get knox from this u may try a modifed stock package if u dont have knox and dont want to get it )

likeasir
Old
(Last edited by likeasir; 8th May 2014 at 07:37 AM.) Reason: adding detail
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoizK View Post
Well I was in the same pickle
whicever 4.3 rom i flashed through odin i got stuck in boot logo or even if i recovered device from odin through emergency frimware and intillation
Also tried customs 4.3 roms stuck a boot logo
Here what u should try and what i did
1 flash philz recovery + 4.1.2 rom
if it works back up efs
2 Using Philz recovery wipe data factory reset + wipe cache + dalvik cache
3 in mount and storage section format everything ( THINK THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP )
4 Used odin to flash a 4.3 stock package it worked ( note u may get knox from this u may try a modifed stock package if u dont have knox and dont want to get it )
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll give that a shot tonight. I'm able to get into CWM as explained, mount and format everything so I'm not sure that this step will make a difference, but I'll do it again anyway.

So I'll see how it goes tonight. Actually been quite refreshing without a phone these past couple of days

likeasir
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll give that a shot tonight. I'm able to get into CWM as explained, mount and format everything so I'm not sure that this step will make a difference, but I'll do it again anyway.

So I'll see how it goes tonight. Actually been quite refreshing without a phone these past couple of days
I managed to fix it, but it had me totally stumped for a while.

I flashed philz recovery and then formatted all of the directories as I'd done previously on CWM.
I tried Slim Rom which didn't work.

I ended up tying CyanogenMod stable which actually worked, it got past the boot loop phase! - I was glad to see a setup screen after 2 days!

I then had another issue with my Cell Reception not working, no data or reception would be shown.

This seemed to happen since I tried a KitKat ROM, as I remember before the bootloop it did this on a couple of ROMs I tried to manually enter the APN over and over and it wouldn't let me save it, very annoying.

I checked the baseband in the about phone section and it was being displayed as "unknown", luckily I remembered my baseband # from when I rooted the phone about 8 months ago (XXBLL3), then I found on this forum a list of 9305i baseband downloads as .zips so I was able to load up CWM and flash it, reboot and it worked!

I will be keeping with CM Stable (10.1.3) for a while now.

I hope this helps someone else that might run into a similar issue.

AMoizK
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
I managed to fix it, but it had me totally stumped for a while.

I flashed philz recovery and then formatted all of the directories as I'd done previously on CWM.
I tried Slim Rom which didn't work.

I ended up tying CyanogenMod stable which actually worked, it got past the boot loop phase! - I was glad to see a setup screen after 2 days!

I then had another issue with my Cell Reception not working, no data or reception would be shown.

This seemed to happen since I tried a KitKat ROM, as I remember before the bootloop it did this on a couple of ROMs I tried to manually enter the APN over and over and it wouldn't let me save it, very annoying.

I checked the baseband in the about phone section and it was being displayed as "unknown", luckily I remembered my baseband # from when I rooted the phone about 8 months ago (XXBLL3), then I found on this forum a list of 9305i baseband downloads as .zips so I was able to load up CWM and flash it, reboot and it worked!

I will be keeping with CM Stable (10.1.3) for a while now.

I hope this helps someone else that might run into a similar issue.
Cheers on getting ur phone fixed but after wiping all directories a stock rom flash would have cleared all the problems

chongc1996
Old
Thanks Meter 91
lol i just did this to my phone, time to find a stock firmware.