Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Turn a galaxy S3 I9305 into a ipod touch like MP3 player

OP Spud2233

6th July 2014, 01:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
More
I have just received a new galaxy S5 so i would like to turn my old S3 into an ipod touch like mp3 player.

The only functionality required is a long battery life, the ability to play music from internal storage, home server and internet (via wifi only, no cellular connection will be available so i would also like to remove all of the apps associated with calling, messaging etc.)

Dose anyone have any recommendations for Firmware, Kernels and Apps to help me achieve this.

I am currently running SlimKat 4.4.2 Build 4.8.
6th July 2014, 02:04 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
More
I have found a mod to disable Cell services and remove the associated apk's, I will be testing it out shortly.

What it does:
Removes unnecessary apps (Messaging.apk, Phone.apk, TelephonyProvider.apk, Mms.apk, TelocationProvider.apk)
Completely turns off cell radio on bootup
Installs the radiooptions binary in case your ROM does not include it
Prevents emergency calls and 911 calls (good for giving your kids your old phone to play with)

Unfortunatly i can't post links but the mod is on rootzwiki [MOD]Any phone, any ROM: Wi-Fi only mode (disable cell radio)
9th July 2014, 06:59 AM   |  #3  
Flag pakistan

13 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud2233

I have just received a new galaxy S5 so i would like to turn my old S3 into an ipod touch like mp3 player.

The only functionality required is a long battery life, the ability to play music from internal storage, home server and internet (via wifi only, no cellular connection will be available so i would also like to remove all of the apps associated with calling, messaging etc.)

Dose anyone have any recommendations for Firmware, Kernels and Apps to help me achieve this.

I am currently running SlimKat 4.4.2 Build 4.8.

Thanks very much for sharing Thank you very much for sharing
20th July 2014, 12:04 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

28 posts
More
Why don't you resell it, buy an actual ipod and get some extra cash??
20th July 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetatfitties

Why don't you resell it, buy an actual ipod and get some extra cash??

The phone was found on the side of a major highway with a cracked screen and has had the IMEI blocked, so its not really worth selling it.
I was just trying to make as much use of it as i could.
20th July 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 6

28 posts
More
Oh, fair enough. What about Airplane mode and then activate WiFi? After that you can activate the power saving mode on CM 11. I have 0 experience with kernels for this phone so I'm doing my research atm (That's why I found this thread on the first place).

Also, right now I'm looking at the Sound Mod AC!D Audio Technology maybe you're interested in this too, I don't know how this mod affects battery life as I haven't tried yet but it is supposed to increase the sound quality by A LOT.
21st July 2014, 09:49 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
More
This is all new to me as well this is my first attempt at modding anything android (apart from installing pre-made roms, etc)
Thanks for the sound mod ill give it a test run.

Flight mode works to a point, while the phone is in Flight mode the cell radio is still active and searching for emergency signal therefore still using battery (as can be seen in battery stats as cell standby).

Because my phone is IMEI blocked and i always have my S5 with me i have no need for the emergency signal on this device so i would like to find a way to totally disable the cell radio. I just had the thought of taking the rom from a tablet device that has no cell radio to begin with and see if that works on the s3.
25th July 2014, 02:28 AM   |  #8  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 365

1,793 posts
More
Quote:

Flight mode works to a point, while the phone is in Flight mode the cell radio is still active and searching for emergency signal therefore still using battery (as can be seen in battery stats as cell standby).

No it doesn't The only ones that did that were some Nokias. Try this, set network to GPRS/2G only, and then enable airplane mode. Remember the i9305 has a external modem due to the 4G, made by qualcomm.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread