Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] How to port I9300 roms to I9305?

OP aaz03

29th May 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #1  
aaz03's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
124 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Hello , I'm very disappointed of the interest of the developpers for the LTE variant of the S3 so i wanted to port i9300 roms from myself , according to hardware , the only changes are the modem and the ram right ? So how could i port these roms ? From no specific knowings , i'd like to at least learn how to do it without big risks of brick so help please .
Thank you and sorry for english mistakes if i've done some.
30th May 2014, 07:05 AM   |  #2  
MaHo_66's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 609
 
977 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaz03

Hello , I'm very disappointed of the interest of the developpers for the LTE variant of the S3 so i wanted to port i9300 roms from myself , according to hardware , the only changes are the modem and the ram right ? So how could i port these roms ? From no specific knowings , i'd like to at least learn how to do it without big risks of brick so help please .
Thank you and sorry for english mistakes if i've done some.

this is not a easy question for random guys like me with almost zero knowledge about developing, although on the other hand a developer could simply explain how its done by f.e. making a thread about porting roms specifically to our i9305 in noobs language (if possible) but i doubt that this will happen, as it is very much time consuming and a lot of thinking and typing work. personally i think a thread like this would bring some life into our i9305s threads, dont you think so..?
to get you already started with some learning and discovering for yourself, read further..

the best method for porting roms is IMO building from source, but this is not as easy as it sounds..
first you will need to set up a build environment. I assume youre using Windows OS, now if you got a 64 bit system this is exactly what you need.. fortunately for you and others there is a custom branch of the Ubuntu OS thanks to @sylentprofet to use with Oracles VB/VM (Virtual Box/Machine) already preconfigured for building or porting roms (both require building/developing experience though) all you need to do is download the source and commit, fork, cherry-pick etc. if you decide to step into the android development world, you will learn more step by step however having some basic knowledge like terminal commands and git commands would be useful.

Also you need to get familiar with github and how it is used, check out here

I recommend lots of research though before actually taking any actions!! all these things will make you feel at times, but do not give up! for there were is a will, theres a way

good luck

Download builduntu v1.4 here
Download Oracles VB here
Guide-how to build rom from source (most recent one i guess)
The Following User Says Thank You to MaHo_66 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #3  
aaz03's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
124 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHo_66

this is not a easy question for random guys like me with almost zero knowledge about developing, although on the other hand a developer could simply explain how its done by f.e. making a thread about porting roms specifically to our i9305 in noobs language (if possible) but i doubt that this will happen, as it is very much time consuming and a lot of thinking and typing work. personally i think a thread like this would bring some life into our i9305s threads, dont you think so..?
to get you already started with some learning and discovering for yourself, read further..

the best method for porting roms is IMO building from source, but this is not as easy as it sounds..
first you will need to set up a build environment. I assume youre using Windows OS, now if you got a 64 bit system this is exactly what you need.. fortunately for you and others there is a custom branch of the Ubuntu OS thanks to @sylentprofet to use with Oracles VB/VM (Virtual Box/Machine) already preconfigured for building or porting roms (both require building/developing experience though) all you need to do is download the source and commit, fork, cherry-pick etc. if you decide to step into the android development world, you will learn more step by step however having some basic knowledge like terminal commands and git commands would be useful.

Also you need to get familiar with github and how it is used, check out here

I recommend lots of research though before actually taking any actions!! all these things will make you feel at times, but do not give up! for there were is a will, theres a way

good luck

Download builduntu v1.4 here
Download Oracles VB here
Guide-how to build rom from source (most recent one i guess)

Thanks mate, i'm gonna try this and gve you some news, other advices for maybe add some optimizations like linaro and kernel adding for example? I'd like to just port Roms but maybe it would be interesting to build my own rom later
Edit: sorry didn't read the guide, find my answers, thank you
Last edited by aaz03; 1st June 2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Found my answer
The Following User Says Thank You to aaz03 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2014, 03:54 PM   |  #4  
MaHo_66's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 609
 
977 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaz03

Thanks mate, i'm gonna try this and gve you some news, other advices for maybe add some optimizations like linaro and kernel adding for example? I'd like to just port Roms but maybe it would be interesting to build my own rom later

your welcome bro

i really have no idea about how linaro is used in combination with kernel, you really have to google that one or get in contact with a dev. willing to help you out i think the kernel is automatically installed with your build when youre initializing/syncing repos and with commands in terminal its executed to build it. you can of course compile own kernel with modifications but as i said it needs lots of research, wish i could help you..

try for now some basics with the guide for gaining more experience and who knows what you will be capable of in next 2/3 months or less
6th June 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #5  
MaHo_66's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 609
 
977 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaz03

Thanks mate, i'm gonna try this and gve you some news, other advices for maybe add some optimizations like linaro and kernel adding for example? I'd like to just port Roms but maybe it would be interesting to build my own rom later
Edit: sorry didn't read the guide, find my answers, thank you

Here you got some useful video tutorial regarding kernel development with Linaro
6th June 2014, 10:17 PM   |  #6  
aaz03's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
124 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHo_66

Here you got some useful video tutorial regarding kernel development with Linaro

Ty , it 'd try , any other advice for kernel dev ?
6th June 2014, 10:36 PM   |  #7  
MaHo_66's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 609
 
977 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaz03

Ty , it 'd try , any other advice for kernel dev ?

not that i know of, the tutorial should be explaining everything

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes