5,597,313 Members 37,502 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] MTP not working after installing CM 10.1.3 (i9305)

Tip us?

naxol
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] MTP not working after installing CM 10.1.3 (i9305)

After going through a ton of hoops to get this thing rooted, then ****ing flashed, I (naturally) run into another infuriating issue that is USB drivers don't seem to work, I hear the USB connected sound on windows when I plug it in but nothing appears, connecting as a Camera (PTP) seems to "work" but I can only see some(?) of my files and nothing can be copied to the phone. I have no SD Card, only the internal memory, so mass storage is not an option either. It shows up in Device Manager as "Google Galaxy Nexus ADB Interface" under "Android Device"

Things I've tried:
-Rebooting the PC(Many times)
-Rebooting the phone(Many times)
-Powering off the phone, taking out the battery and leaving it for 5 mins then powering on again
-Reinstalling Samsung Kies and Samsung USB drivers(infinite times)
-Factory resetting the phone and skipping all account prompts at startup then connecting the phone(seems to work for some people)
-Connecting with USB debugging off
-Connecting with USB debugging on
-Changing the USB Port.

Please help, I'm just about sick of this phone and it's countless issues, can't believe how hard it is to customize.

naxol
Old
(Last edited by naxol; 13th January 2014 at 01:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So here's a development. I tried turning USB debugging on and it installed some drivers then restarted my PC, now MTP mode works but only when USB Debugging is on, so at least that's good.
Still if anyone knows a way to fix this(ability to connect via USB with debugging off) that would be great. I don't imagine it's safe to have debugging on all the time.

Edit: also I got an idea, if there is a way to run the Phoneutil thing on CM10 that would be wonderful, I probably need to change the qualcomm USB settings from there or set those options in the main menu to PDA/PDA. The *#7284# code doesn't work without touchwiz.

kaynpayn
Old
Thanks Meter 128
I believe this is what you need.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2583271

Seen the post a while back, wasn't hard to conduct a quick search. You're not alone on the MTP hate boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to kaynpayn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

naxol
Old
(Last edited by naxol; 13th January 2014 at 01:22 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynpayn View Post
I believe this is what you need.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2583271

Seen the post a while back, wasn't hard to conduct a quick search. You're not alone on the MTP hate boat.
Thanks man.
Would you mind explaining that permissions bit though? I don't quite understand it. I've found the folder and can't delete it because of the permissions but I can't understand his explanation of getting the permissions... lol.
EDIT: I can't find "upperfilter" either.

Quote:
I had to change permissions on that object to do so, then inside permissions take ownership and tick child keys and subkeys

Uncheck inherit from parent

If it pops up a dialog pops up choose add from the options

You will have to do this for several tabs in this permissions of the registry.

kaynpayn
Old
(Last edited by kaynpayn; 13th January 2014 at 02:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by naxol View Post
Thanks man.
Would you mind explaining that permissions bit though? I don't quite understand it. I've found the folder and can't delete it because of the permissions but I can't understand his explanation of getting the permissions... lol.
EDIT: I can't find "upperfilter" either.
Well, windows sucks on that department. The process is a bit buggy and shows you WAY too many warning and unnecessary windows. So this is what you need to do. After locating said registry key, i'd advise you to export it (it's a backup).
Then try to delete it's contents. You've noticed you can't, it says permission denied. So you right click on the denied folder and chose permissions.
You'll notice it's all blank. Press Advanced on the bottom and you'll notice on the next windows, up there where it says Proprietary, it says you're not the proprietary. But there's a placeholder link that does allow you to change who is. Click it and type in (search if you need) your current windows username (assuming your username is an admin on that machine). Accept everything util you reach the first window you got when you chose "permissions". Instead of pressing "Advanced" you pick "Add" and add your username again, give yourself "Total control" on the tick boxes below and press OK. You'll be back at the registry keys. The process to pick up the new permissions is a bit buggy. You'll need to refresh them now and you won't be denied access to the contents of the key you've just altered but you'll find out another key where you need to repeat the whole deal again. Think this'll happen 3 or 4 times. When all's done you will have no trouble deleting everything.

Now, this is the part i managed to do. My control panel part, is no where like what was stated in the OP (maybe because i'm using win8.1). I'm still figuring that one out. Removing the reg key, seems to have had no effect whatsoever in connecting my device to the computer, everything still works albeit through MTP.

Oh yea, i never had an issue with MTP not working. I just want to remove it because it's a limitative uneeded piece of crap. Slow transfer speeds and blocked access to my stuff during an operation (copying stuff) is just retarded.

naxol
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynpayn View Post
Well, windows sucks on that department. The process is a bit buggy and shows you WAY too many warning and unnecessary windows. So this is what you need to do. After locating said registry key, i'd advise you to export it (it's a backup).
Then try to delete it's contents. You've noticed you can't, it says permission denied. So you right click on the denied folder and chose permissions.
You'll notice it's all blank. Press Advanced on the bottom and you'll notice on the next windows, up there where it says Proprietary, it says you're not the proprietary. But there's a placeholder link that does allow you to change who is. Click it and type in (search if you need) your current windows username (assuming your username is an admin on that machine). Accept everything util you reach the first window you got when you chose "permissions". Instead of pressing "Advanced" you pick "Add" and add your username again, give yourself "Total control" on the tick boxes below and press OK. You'll be back at the registry keys. The process to pick up the new permissions is a bit buggy. You'll need to refresh them now and you won't be denied access to the contents of the key you've just altered but you'll find out another key where you need to repeat the whole deal again. Think this'll happen 3 or 4 times. When all's done you will have no trouble deleting everything.

Now, this is the part i managed to do. My control panel part, is no where like what was stated in the OP (maybe because i'm using win8.1). I'm still figuring that one out. Removing the reg key, seems to have had no effect whatsoever in connecting my device to the computer, everything still works albeit through MTP.

Oh yea, i never had an issue with MTP not working. I just want to remove it because it's a limitative uneeded piece of crap. Slow transfer speeds and blocked access to my stuff during an operation (copying stuff) is just retarded.
Thanks. I just found a huge timesaver called run as system that opens any exe as the SYSTEM profile, so you have sufficient permissions to delete whatever you want.
I removed the whole folder and the issue persisted, then I don't know what I did and USB stopped working completely, with and without Debugging. Gahhhh...
I'm recovering the original firmware now and starting from scratch on this.
Will post any updates/progress.

naxol
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I DID IT. 6 hours of pain, I finally fixed it. Guess what the big thing is? Outdated ****ing drivers... god.
The drivers in this thread are outdated and do not work for androids past 4.1:
[WARNING! + GUIDE] Backup and Restore IMEI / NV Data Procedure for GT-I9305
Do NOT use the USB drivers from this thread.

For anyone having this problem:
  1. Uninstall Samsung Kies, at the end you'll be asked if you want to remove usb drivers as well, accept.
  2. Uninstall USB drivers from to make sure they are completely gone
  3. Reboot your computer
  4. Reboot your phone (doesn't make sense, just do it)
  5. Reinstall Samsung Kies
  6. Install up-to-date version of the drivers, look up version 1.5.29.0, filename SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1.5.29.0.exe (Not posting the link because I'm not sure it's clean, don't want to infect anyone)
  7. Plug your phone in
  8. Ta da! You can now transfer files from your computer to your phone and vice versa using the DREADED, ABYSMAL ****ING Media Transfer Protocol

If this does not work, redo the first 2 steps, plug your phone in while you have Device Manager opened (Right click on my computer then choose Manage) and look for any devices showing up after you plug it in and uninstall the **** out of them, removing their drivers as well, make sure you do this with both MTP and CTP(Camera mode).
After that proceed from step 3 and you should be good.