Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,550 Members 51,692 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] official 4.3 downgrade to official 4.1.2 - possible?

Tip us?
 
oldboy2010
Old
(Last edited by oldboy2010; 22nd January 2014 at 01:36 PM.) Reason: edited to add the network details
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default [Q] official 4.3 downgrade to official 4.1.2 - possible?

Hi, I've searched the forums here for a while but have honestly not found the answer so I hope someone can help. I have an S III I9305 which I updated OTA to the official 4.3 last week. the baseband version is I9305XXUEMK1 and the kernel version is dated Thursday 12th December. From searching I've only found the baseband I9305XXUEMKC which I believe was dated around end of November 13.

I simply wanted to know if there is any way to go back to the official 4.1.2 (i.e. as it was before the update to 4.3). I have not rooted the phone or done anything else with my phone. I have read all the stuff about Knox which I believe could prevent the phone to be downgraded without voiding the warranty, but this is not really a big issue for me as I've had the phone for over a year now. I was not ever planning on rooting the phone or adding any custom roms either. Just looking for a way to restore the phone as it was really!!

Hope anyone can help, and advance apologies for what is probably a very nooob question.

thanks

edited to add: I am on T-mobile (EE) in the UK, as I understand that AT-T cannot downgrade without bricking the phone.
 
shayind4
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 355
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy2010 View Post
Hi, I've searched the forums here for a while but have honestly not found the answer so I hope someone can help. I have an S III I9305 which I updated OTA to the official 4.3 last week. the baseband version is I9305XXUEMK1 and the kernel version is dated Thursday 12th December. From searching I've only found the baseband I9305XXUEMKC which I believe was dated around end of November 13.

I simply wanted to know if there is any way to go back to the official 4.1.2 (i.e. as it was before the update to 4.3). I have not rooted the phone or done anything else with my phone. I have read all the stuff about Knox which I believe could prevent the phone to be downgraded without voiding the warranty, but this is not really a big issue for me as I've had the phone for over a year now. I was not ever planning on rooting the phone or adding any custom roms either. Just looking for a way to restore the phone as it was really!!

Hope anyone can help, and advance apologies for what is probably a very nooob question.

thanks

edited to add: I am on T-mobile (EE) in the UK, as I understand that AT-T cannot downgrade without bricking the phone.


The 4.3 bootloader (Knox) does not allow any downgrade irrespective of Knox flag status. This is an issue many users are not happy with.

Sorry.
 
oldboy2010
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayind4 View Post
The 4.3 bootloader (Knox) does not allow any downgrade irrespective of Knox flag status. This is an issue many users are not happy with.

Sorry.
thank you for replying to me, this is thoroughly annoying and I am gutted that I didn't see the problems people have described before updating! Just assumed that an update would be an upgrade!! clearly not. Is there anything else that I could do to make this bad situation slightly better? or have a made a rod for my own back?

appreciate you taking the time to reply.
 
JJEgan
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4416
Posts: 23,036
Join Date: Oct 2010
Standard reply .
Factory reset .
Or flash a stock or custom rom .
 
shayind4
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 355
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy2010 View Post
thank you for replying to me, this is thoroughly annoying and I am gutted that I didn't see the problems people have described before updating! Just assumed that an update would be an upgrade!! clearly not. Is there anything else that I could do to make this bad situation slightly better? or have a made a rod for my own back?

appreciate you taking the time to reply.

There is nothing you can do for now except to wait and see what developers come up with. I would advice not to update to 4.4 kitkat yet unless you are sure you want to do so. There is no way back from 4.4 to 4.3 either.
 
d_ce
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 86
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayind4 View Post
There is nothing you can do for now except to wait and see what developers come up with. I would advice not to update to 4.4 kitkat yet unless you are sure you want to do so. There is no way back from 4.4 to 4.3 either.
even by flashing a custom rom of lesser android version, like paranoid android 4.1?
 
Raistlin1158
Old
#7  
Raistlin1158's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 115
Posts: 517
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ce View Post
even by flashing a custom rom of lesser android version, like paranoid android 4.1?
Which bit of there is no way back didn't you understand...

Please read before spreading your detritus across the forums.
xxxxxxxxxxx




Nex, Est Tantum Exordium... מוות רק ההתחלה... Смерть - только начало... 死だけを始めています。...
 
d_ce
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 86
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1158 View Post
Which bit of there is no way back didn't you understand...
i wasn't aware that 'no way back' can be fractioned into bits haha
please stay polite with your goys fellows, they can insult you as well
 
oldboy2010
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I think i am going to stick as I am for now. Incidentally, I ended up doing a factory reset and the issues I was having with the battery drain and lack of email notifications have all been fixed! so I am fairly happy now!

that's good to know that there is no way back from 4.4 either, this will make me more cautious for any future updates!

peace out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...