Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 53,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S3 i9305

Tip us?

disturpants
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default S3 i9305

Hi everyone, pretty much my first post on here (second in all honesty) after reading hundreds of post into flashing/installing a custom ROM. I have always ran stock Samsung but with root, but I wanted more and I was fed up with Samsung and other rogue apps causing wakelocks (kind of became an OCD thing trying to get rid of them). Was determined not to ask for help with so many threads saying the same thing, so I just too the plunge and thought fk it yolo and flashed CM10 onto my device.

Didn't really have a clue what I was doing but got there eventually. Used CWM and downloaded what I thought was the only stable version of CM. I scared myself at first as it was just stuck on the CM boot, did a bit of reading and forgot to do the factory reset and wipe, did that and it all ran smoothly.

After spending hours of fiddling last night, I'm now wondering if it's worth getting CM 11 or should I stick to 10? I barely use anything complicated on my phone, solitaire is about the only game that I play, main thing is just battery life and phone functionality and internet browsing. Also are there any settings that I should be looking into?

I always ran one power guard with stock rom, but after installing it onto CM I found it was causing the phone to never enter deep sleep, uninstalled it and it's pretty good now, has anyone else experienced this? Does CM have pretty good built in battery management or should I look at getting some kind of task killer/battery management software? Couldn't risk leaving it unplugged last night to check battery as my gf needed the alarm for this morning and didn't want to risk it going flat in the night and getting an earfull from her

Thanks in advance for any tips/help.

anguslaw
Old
Thanks Meter 180
First of all, you need to know what causes the battery drain in our smart phone no matter what ROM to are in.
They are mainly 3things. 1. Data usage, 2. Screen brightness and 3. GPS. So if you turn off data, turn the brightness down and turn off GPS. You will get pretty good battery performance in all Roms.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

spiderman07
Old
Thanks Meter 35
for the moment stay with stable CM10...in CM11 are a lot of bugs...today it's working nice...tomorrow it's unusable...
no need for 3rd party software for battery saving...all ROM's have ok battery life...but on stock is a noticeable difference.

disturpants
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the replies. After leaving the phone idling for most of the morning I've noticed it's not sleeping. BBS is showing KWL is mdm_hsic_pm0

I've been trawling the net trying to figure out what it is, but everything I've read turns into a dead end. In the android battery stats it shows as Android OS. If i reboot the phone it seems to put it back in check, but obviously I don't want to be rebooting my phone all day!

Got very minimal apps running so it's really confuddling me.

Cheers in advance