Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,159 Members 45,483 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I safely flash any older 4.3 stock FW over XXUEML9?

Tip us?

adamuadamu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Default [Q] Can I safely flash any older 4.3 stock FW over XXUEML9?

Hello,
I'd like to ask if I can safely downgrade my current XXUEML9 ROM to some older releases of 4.3 s3 i9305 official Samsung ROMs.
Why do that? I've read some reports that first releases of 4.3 ROMs for i9305 could be rooted with kingo without tripping knox flag and the XXUEML9 release has been reported to be tripping the flag (some new samsung's security measures introduced meanwhile), so I think it could be worth trying but better safe than sorry - I know I can't downgrade to 4.1.2 or whatever under 4.3 but what about new 4.3 to "older" 4.3? Just wondering if there aren't safety patches in the bootloader itself that prevent users from downgrading to anything lower than current FW
Thanks for your help.

spiderman07
Old
Thanks Meter 36
you can do it safely...i would recommend doing a factory reset after it...just to be sure it won't mess with kingoapp...i did it without problems(i tripped knox way before doing this)
The Following User Says Thank You to spiderman07 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adamuadamu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman07 View Post
you can do it safely...i would recommend doing a factory reset after it...just to be sure it won't mess with kingoapp...i did it without problems(i tripped knox way before doing this)
thanks for the info,
I plan to do it that way:
1. enter factory recovery -> factory wipe
2. odin -> flash oldest 4.3 i9305 stock image
3. if bootloops -> repeat step 1.
4. kingo root -> let's see if knox stays 0x0, ofc I'll let you know in the thread here
5. whatever ROM, but keeping stock kernel and stock recovery (otherwise all the steps above pointless)

Raistlin1158
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Kingo trips knox
xxxxxxxxxxx

Nex, Est Tantum Exordium... מוות רק ההתחלה... Смерть - только начало... 死だけを始めています。...

shayind4
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1158 View Post
Kingo trips knox

I doubt it. Kingo either roots the phone or fail, and then gives you option of installing custom recovery which trips Knox flag.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Which firmware is the oldest 4.3?

Raistlin1158
Old
Thanks Meter 118
I used it and it did...

adamuadamu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayind4 View Post

[/COLOR]Which firmware is the oldest 4.3?
seems that XXUEMKC is the oldest 4.3 - it has the release date 28.11.2013

well, looks like a lottery with kingo root; but as far as I read in some forums some were successful with rooting that way and keeping the flag 0x0 with older FWs and everybody reporting using kingo on latest FWs says it had tripped KNOX

and, to be clear - as of now, there aren't any other ways to root i9305/4.3 than:
a) kingo (knox lottery)
b) CF-Root (trips knox)
z) waiting for miracle and some new rooting methods?

shayind4
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuadamu View Post
seems that XXUEMKC is the oldest 4.3 - it has the release date 28.11.2013

well, looks like a lottery with kingo root; but as far as I read in some forums some were successful with rooting that way and keeping the flag 0x0 with older FWs and everybody reporting using kingo on latest FWs says it had tripped KNOX

and, to be clear - as of now, there aren't any other ways to root i9305/4.3 than:
a) kingo (knox lottery)
b) CF-Root (trips knox)
z) waiting for miracle and some new rooting methods?
I think you are right. I have MKC firmware but not able to root with Kingo. It always failed and asked if i wanted to install custom recovery with root which will trip Knox flag, and i always clicked 'NO' button. My knox flag remains 0x0 but phone not rooted.

adamuadamu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
so, all the things I planned turn out to be pointless
the ***MKC PDA FW is the oldest one of 4.3 for i9305
you've got no root on MKC via kingo, and I got some information from a Polish forum, that kingo did the root on MKC but tripped the flag anyway (I can only assume it tries to get the root through some dirty tricks via cable and if it fails that way, it offers to flash custom recovery in order to flash apk and su binary to the system).
so, for the time being CF-Root seems the only reasonable option to root - you'll trip knox either way, but without sending all your sensitive data to china and back.

Tags
downgrade, i9305, knox, xxueml9