DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can I safely flash any older 4.3 stock FW over XXUEML9?

OP adamuadamu

11th April 2014, 10:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Poznan
Thanks Meter: 83

253 posts
More
Hello,
I'd like to ask if I can safely downgrade my current XXUEML9 ROM to some older releases of 4.3 s3 i9305 official Samsung ROMs.
Why do that? I've read some reports that first releases of 4.3 ROMs for i9305 could be rooted with kingo without tripping knox flag and the XXUEML9 release has been reported to be tripping the flag (some new samsung's security measures introduced meanwhile), so I think it could be worth trying but better safe than sorry - I know I can't downgrade to 4.1.2 or whatever under 4.3 but what about new 4.3 to "older" 4.3? Just wondering if there aren't safety patches in the bootloader itself that prevent users from downgrading to anything lower than current FW
Thanks for your help.
11th April 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 43

201 posts
More
you can do it safely...i would recommend doing a factory reset after it...just to be sure it won't mess with kingoapp...i did it without problems(i tripped knox way before doing this)
The Following User Says Thank You to spiderman07 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th April 2014, 04:03 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Poznan

253 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman07

you can do it safely...i would recommend doing a factory reset after it...just to be sure it won't mess with kingoapp...i did it without problems(i tripped knox way before doing this)

thanks for the info,
I plan to do it that way:
1. enter factory recovery -> factory wipe
2. odin -> flash oldest 4.3 i9305 stock image
3. if bootloops -> repeat step 1.
4. kingo root -> let's see if knox stays 0x0, ofc I'll let you know in the thread here
5. whatever ROM, but keeping stock kernel and stock recovery (otherwise all the steps above pointless)
11th April 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 121

532 posts
Kingo trips knox
11th April 2014, 11:41 PM   |  #5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 78

447 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1158

Kingo trips knox

I doubt it. Kingo either roots the phone or fail, and then gives you option of installing custom recovery which trips Knox flag.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Which firmware is the oldest 4.3?
12th April 2014, 12:39 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 121

532 posts
I used it and it did...
12th April 2014, 10:21 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Poznan

253 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayind4

[/COLOR]Which firmware is the oldest 4.3?

seems that XXUEMKC is the oldest 4.3 - it has the release date 28.11.2013

well, looks like a lottery with kingo root; but as far as I read in some forums some were successful with rooting that way and keeping the flag 0x0 with older FWs and everybody reporting using kingo on latest FWs says it had tripped KNOX

and, to be clear - as of now, there aren't any other ways to root i9305/4.3 than:
a) kingo (knox lottery)
b) CF-Root (trips knox)
z) waiting for miracle and some new rooting methods?
12th April 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 78

447 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuadamu

seems that XXUEMKC is the oldest 4.3 - it has the release date 28.11.2013

well, looks like a lottery with kingo root; but as far as I read in some forums some were successful with rooting that way and keeping the flag 0x0 with older FWs and everybody reporting using kingo on latest FWs says it had tripped KNOX

and, to be clear - as of now, there aren't any other ways to root i9305/4.3 than:
a) kingo (knox lottery)
b) CF-Root (trips knox)
z) waiting for miracle and some new rooting methods?

I think you are right. I have MKC firmware but not able to root with Kingo. It always failed and asked if i wanted to install custom recovery with root which will trip Knox flag, and i always clicked 'NO' button. My knox flag remains 0x0 but phone not rooted.
13th April 2014, 03:50 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Poznan

253 posts
More
so, all the things I planned turn out to be pointless
the ***MKC PDA FW is the oldest one of 4.3 for i9305
you've got no root on MKC via kingo, and I got some information from a Polish forum, that kingo did the root on MKC but tripped the flag anyway (I can only assume it tries to get the root through some dirty tricks via cable and if it fails that way, it offers to flash custom recovery in order to flash apk and su binary to the system).
so, for the time being CF-Root seems the only reasonable option to root - you'll trip knox either way, but without sending all your sensitive data to china and back.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
downgrade, i9305, knox, xxueml9
Previous Thread Next Thread