XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tethering to a RT-N66U router

Tip us?

Scott M
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Tethering to a RT-N66U router

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what I should be doing in order to get my router to use my phones tethering ability. According to the ASUS FAQ it should be as simple as plugging the phone in and enabling USB tethering but nothing happens.

Does anyone else have a similar combination? Any tips or tricks to get it working?

Phone is i9305
Network is T-Mobile UK (Re-branded EE)
Router is ASUS RT-N66U on the latest firmware

The aforementioned guide is here.

There are also a bundle of other options regarding setting up USB modems etc, but as far as I can tell this is for when using 3g/4g dongles. See the guide here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My internet doesn't go down very often but I would rather figure out how to get it working now than mess around when it actually does go down.

Oh, wireless tether and USB tether work perfectly when used directly with a PC/Laptop/etc.

Cheers

pintycar
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Hello,

I have almost the same combo: same mobile but AC version of your router. Shouldn't change much though. It really is as simple as it sounds, plug it in and click usb tether. However, I upgraded the firmware today and it stopped working! I fixed it by going to Dual WAN (under the WAN options on the left) and setting USB as the primary one. Try it and see if it works.

Good luck mate.

Scott M
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintycar View Post
Hello,

I have almost the same combo: same mobile but AC version of your router. Shouldn't change much though. It really is as simple as it sounds, plug it in and click usb tether. However, I upgraded the firmware today and it stopped working! I fixed it by going to Dual WAN (under the WAN options on the left) and setting USB as the primary one. Try it and see if it works.

Good luck mate.
That's great, thanks very much for that.

I've been in contact with the ASUS support and they are worse than useless. I don't get why companies even go to the hassle of setting up technical support when no one can be bothered doing anything other than sending generic, pre-written, responses. The first reply I got stated that the router wasn't capable of anything other than printer sharing and storage sharing, absolutely clueless.

Scott M
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ok I gave it a go but didn't get anywhere unfortunately.

I'm assuming the status page is the same for both routers. With Dual Wan enabled I get 2 WAN connections at the top with "Disconnected" on them. The USB connections show nothing connected when I connect my phone to the first port, but it shows "usb_3g_dongle" when I attach it to the second.

With Dual WAN disabled I get either the first or the second USB connection showing "usb_3g_dongle" depending on which one it is connected to. Nothing works regardless.

I think I'll try messing around with an older firmware to see if that works.

Cheers

Scott M
Old
(Last edited by Scott M; 3rd October 2013 at 05:34 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Still no luck

I installed RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_276
Reset the modem (reset button for 7 seconds)
Plugged phone in (WAN cable connection out) and turned on USB Tether
Nothing happened. 3G and usb_3g_dongle shows up but no WAN IP and it shows as "Disconnected".

When yours works, is the USB Modem option enabled? I've tried mine both on and off and it's made no difference, just thought I would check if that was perhaps a player in all this.

Cheers

Edit:

Here is what it looks like

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	2299621  

pintycar
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Hey man,

Hmmm that's weird. I can't remember from the top of my head. I'll check it out tonight and make some screenshots of how things look.

Scott M
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintycar View Post
Hey man,

Hmmm that's weird. I can't remember from the top of my head. I'll check it out tonight and make some screenshots of how things look.
Not to worry, I got it working

To be honest I have no idea what I did to get it working as everything I did I had already previously tried. However, for the sake of rounding off the thread (should others have the same issue) here is the exact settings that I am using.

Firmware Version - 3.0.0.4.374_720

In Advanced WAN: Dual WAN

Enable Dual WAN - On
Primary WAN - WAN
Secondary WAN - USB
Dual WAN mode - Fail Over (This simply means it'll always use the Primary when it can, should your internet go down it'll switch)

In Advanced WAN: Internet Connection

WAN Type - USB
Enable USB Modem - Yes
Location - Manual
USB Modem - WCDMA(UMTS)
Everything else is blank other than USB Adapter which is set to Auto.

Once you have your setup configured as above simply plug your phone into one of the USB ports (I use the top one if your router is lying down) and enable "USB Tethering".

If everything is working you SHOULD see Primary WAN - Connected and Secondary WAN - Standby.

When your Primary WAN (cable for example) goes down, it switches to your Secondary WAN which will then change to Primary WAN - Disconnected and Secondary WAN - Connected.

Easy way to test it out is to simply unplug your WAN cable, it should automatically switch to your phone.

bhamcommuter
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default what tethering app did you use?

I've tried all of your settings, but I can't get it to work with PdaNet. Is that the app you're using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Not to worry, I got it working

To be honest I have no idea what I did to get it working as everything I did I had already previously tried. However, for the sake of rounding off the thread (should others have the same issue) here is the exact settings that I am using.

Firmware Version - 3.0.0.4.374_720

In Advanced WAN: Dual WAN

Enable Dual WAN - On
Primary WAN - WAN
Secondary WAN - USB
Dual WAN mode - Fail Over (This simply means it'll always use the Primary when it can, should your internet go down it'll switch)

In Advanced WAN: Internet Connection

WAN Type - USB
Enable USB Modem - Yes
Location - Manual
USB Modem - WCDMA(UMTS)
Everything else is blank other than USB Adapter which is set to Auto.

Once you have your setup configured as above simply plug your phone into one of the USB ports (I use the top one if your router is lying down) and enable "USB Tethering".

If everything is working you SHOULD see Primary WAN - Connected and Secondary WAN - Standby.

When your Primary WAN (cable for example) goes down, it switches to your Secondary WAN which will then change to Primary WAN - Disconnected and Secondary WAN - Connected.

Easy way to test it out is to simply unplug your WAN cable, it should automatically switch to your phone.

Scott M
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamcommuter View Post
I've tried all of your settings, but I can't get it to work with PdaNet. Is that the app you're using?
Hi mate,

Not using any apps at all. Everything set exactly as I've written above, and enable USB tether on the phone itself. Obviously 3G needs to be enabled too, other than that... job done.

Our internet was down for a few days last weekend, came in VERY handy