Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 41,163 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ubuntu

Tip us?

ABorgh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Default Ubuntu

As if yesterday ubuntu mobile is released and I wonder if anyone has thought of making a port to S3 LTE?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app
If I have helped you please press the thanks button!

Rhadamanthus
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABorgh View Post
As if yesterday ubuntu mobile is released and I wonder if anyone has thought of making a port to S3 LTE?

I don't pretend to have been following Ubuntu Mobile much because, to be honest, it doesn't strike me as very interesting. But for those interested, there's a bit of good news.

Amusingly enough, it looks as though Ubuntu mobile is mostly CyanogenMod, minus Java, and with Ubuntu running on top of it. So, we're talking about an Android kernel and Android's graphics, sound and telephony stacks. Presumably they did that precisely because it makes porting relatively simple. Have a look at their porting guide or even just the names in this git page to see that we're definitely on familiar ground. So if anyone wants to give it a shot, it shouldn't be too hard to get it to boot. Hardware support might require a bit of adaptation from someone skilled. Or, indeed, it might not. It depends just how much this is what it seems to be (i.e., mostly Android).

Honestly, though, Ubuntu Mobile itself looks pretty buggy - and I say that just from reading the caveats they themselves mention. I might be inclined to say to wait a bit before doing any real work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhadamanthus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

agelus69
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Default Re: Ubuntu

Ubuntu mobile looks interesting but i think we can let the Nexus' have it at this stage.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABorgh View Post

Pretty sure you were one of the guys pushing cm 10.1 to our i9305's. Dunno if you noticed there is a daily available.

Current:
Nexus 5

Previous:
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9305