5,815,022 Members 38,601 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Uprade regular S3 to LTE S3?

Tip us?
johnbyebye Old
(Last edited by johnbyebye; 23rd February 2013 at 01:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalInTheZone View Post
Yet another reason for you not to debate a subject you know little about. Google is your friend...
*sigh* I give up.

RomSeeker
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If you allready have S# dont upgrade to S3 LTE...

vasp3690
Old
(Last edited by vasp3690; 23rd February 2013 at 11:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 64
Default Re: [Q] Uprade regular S3 to LTE S3?

For those who speak without knowing...

I have both i9300/9305.

Recently I bought a replacement lcd for the i9305 and was told that these are specific to the model and an lcd from the i9300 would not fit.

This is wrong. I have managed to use the i9300 motherboard on the i9305 LCD+midframe without issues. Also the fitment of all the peripherals such as antenna, front and rear facing cameras, buttons, film cables fit identically. All back plates, screws, heat absorber locations are the same.

I cannot be sure of the antenna module as its function so I ordered one for the i9305.

However, if the intention of the OP is to fit an LTE motherboard from a i9305 to a i9300 chassis, then its possible.

HOWEVER, an lte version from the US models wont work due to different configuration of the processor. For that you need the lcd made for that version of motherboard.

Hope it helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vasp3690 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chismay
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasp3690 View Post

I have both i9300/9305.

Recently I bought a replacement lcd for the i9305 and was told that these are specific to the model and an lcd from the i9300 would not fit.

This is wrong. I have managed to use the i9300 motherboard on the i9305 LCD+midframe without issues. Also the fitment of all the peripherals such as antenna, front and rear facing cameras, buttons, film cables fit identically. All back plates, screws, heat absorber locations are the same.

I cannot be sure of the antenna module as its function so I ordered one for the i9305.

However, if the intention of the OP is to fit an LTE motherboard from a i9305 to a i9300 chassis, then its possible.

HOWEVER, an lte version from the US models wont work due to different configuration of the processor. For that you need the lcd made for that version of motherboard.

Hope it helps
AND THAT ladies n gents wraps up this convo.
If I Have Helped You Please Click The Thanks Button

ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 32GB
ACER ICONIA A500 ICS FLEXREAPER-EX V5.1
HTC HERO GSM CYANOGENMOD7
GOOGLE GALAXY NEXUS STOCK
MK808 4.2.2 ANDROID TV STICK
SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE THE MYTH ROM ICS V3
SAMSUNG GALAXY S I9003 TITANIUM ROM V3
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 I9300 STOCK
SAMSUNG GALAXY MIN S8850 STOCK
ELONEX TAB 2.1(CRAP)
MISCROLL TAB 3.2(SLIGHTLY BETTER)

Product F(RED)
Old
(Last edited by Product F(RED); 24th February 2013 at 01:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2,613
If OP lives in the US or Canada, don't. It drops 1900 MHz support, which is crucial for AT&T's and most other carriers' 3G/HSPA+. Additionally it doesn't support any US LTE frequencies (AT&T is 700 MHz).

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

vasp3690
Old
Thanks Meter 64

Yes. My experience is between i9300 to i9305.

The going from i9300 to a US based motherboard doesn't work. It also isn't very cost effective either as getting a new lcd for the us based motherboard costs around 160 and the motherboard around the same, hence you can get a used s3 for that money and keep the previous for spare parts.

tissot
Old
Thanks Meter 66

I think the fight here is two fights.
Is it possible? and is it worth it?

They are mixed in all the argument. It was funny to read the thread.

I think every one is right depending on the question.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium HD app

vasp3690
Old
Thanks Meter 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I think the fight here is two fights.
Is it possible? and is it worth it?

They are mixed in all the argument. It was funny to read the thread.

I think every one is right depending on the question.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium HD app
If you can get a cheap lte i9305 that is being sold for parts then it can be worth it as I have bought before a motherboard alone off an s3 for 120euro. So if the rest of the parts from your phone work ok, then you have a working phone.

In this instance I would add the antenna for 12 and that's it.

A new motherboard from samsung as a repair service would be close to 200 so you'd have to weigh the cash.

DjeMBeY
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,392

DONATE TO ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasp3690 View Post

I have both i9300/9305.

Hope it helps
We can talk about forever but since you've got both phones, make it work and proof that we're wrong!!!! Open both phones, put S3 LTE motherboard ONLY in S3 casing and test it. It's going to take you 30min and we'll all know for sure. Simple as that. End of story.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app
<><><><><><><><><><> NOTE: I do NOT respond to any technical Support through PM's. <><><><><><><><><><>

vasp3690
Old
Thanks Meter 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembey View Post
We can talk about forever but since you've got both phones, make it work and proof that we're wrong!!!! Open both phones, put S3 LTE motherboard ONLY in S3 casing and test it. It's going to take you 30min and we'll all know for sure. Simple as that. End of story.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app
I just said that I did the opposite.

Doesnt that prove the same point?

I took a i9300 motherboard in a Lte i9305 casing and it worked fine.

You are playing with words now so that you are not proven wrong. For what the op is asking, the answer is YES it works so long as you also fit the LTE antenna which you can buy on ebay for 10.

Besides the op is asking what parts he will need.

So the parts are: LTE motherboard+ LTE antenna.

The rest are the same as the i9300 and can be reused.

Happy now?

The Following User Says Thank You to vasp3690 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]