[Q] Is 40MHz bandwidth supported with 2.4GHz Wifi n on GT-i9300

Search This thread

Fuli10

Mar 23, 2011
Hi all,

I've found this old thread about 150Mbps on GS3 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1815929
So I confirm that I'm able to connect at 150mbps with my GT-i9300 (international version) by using a wifi n router at 5Ghz.
To be able to reach 150Mbps, I must enable 40MHz bandwidth. It is what is expected because the GS3 supports only one antenna stream (no MIMO support).
With this link, I can download files from my NAS at 5-6MB/s (Mega Bytes per second) that is satisfying me.
The only issue is that due to 5GHz, wifi connection is limited to a small area (it doesn't work well through walls).
Because there is no other wifi spot in channels 1 to 9 (only other spots far enough and both 20MHz in channel 11), I've enables the 40MHz in 2.4GHz carrier on my router. Using my (old) nettop, I've enabled 40MHz support on the only 2.4GHz carrier supported, and I cansee connection link at 150Mbps (my old nettop have one stream too). I've also checked on another fix PC that supports MIMO (2 antennas) and 2.4GHz only that I can reach 300Mbps with 40MHz bandwidth. So I confirm that both are supporting 40MHz bandwidth with 2.4GHz carrier.

So, now my question is:
- why I can not enable 40MHz support at 2.4GHz on my Galaxy S3 ?

Is there a hardware limitation on bandwidth configuration on the RF chip (not the baseband, but RF where antenna is connected) ?
Is it only a software limitation due to android support that doesn't enable "auto 20/40" bandwidth on 2.4GHz ?
is there a mysterious and unknown configuration setting somewhere to enable the 40MHz on 2.4GHz ?

I confirm that 40MHz is supported at least with 5GHz carrier (you must first enable "auto 20/40" on your router and well choose your channels).
Why it is not enable at 2.4GHz ?

Maybe is there another alternative ROM that supports that ?

Thanks a lot