Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,426 Members 53,788 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cannot Access Recovery/Half Rooted?

Tip us?

xwm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cannot Access Recovery/Half Rooted?

Hey guys, after much digging I've been unable to find a solution to my problem. It may be my lack of technical knowledge or a unique issue, either way please bare with me.
I have a Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 that I have been attempting to root. In short, I used Odin to flash a CF Auto-Root tool. Unfortunately, it didn't quite do the trick because when I enter SuperSU, I'm given the prompt to update binarys and manually re-root. I know that's common, my issue is that when I attempt to enter recovery mode AFTER this I am presented a screen with a red android logo that says CF Auto-Root at the top. No recovery mode, no way to factory reset, seems as if my device is half rooted. Do I need to flash a stock rom through Odin to resolve this? If so, where can I find a current 4.3 version?
What I'd really like is to successfully root and load a custom ROM on this device which should be easy but has only proven to be a difficult process. As an aside could anyone possibly provide an updated guide to do this? Every one I follow has lead me to issues/incomplete rooting.

Thanks guys, I hope this isn't beating a dead horse too much.

piano13
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwm View Post
Hey guys, after much digging I've been unable to find a solution to my problem. It may be my lack of technical knowledge or a unique issue, either way please bare with me.
I have a Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 that I have been attempting to root. In short, I used Odin to flash a CF Auto-Root tool. Unfortunately, it didn't quite do the trick because when I enter SuperSU, I'm given the prompt to update binarys and manually re-root. I know that's common, my issue is that when I attempt to enter recovery mode AFTER this I am presented a screen with a red android logo that says CF Auto-Root at the top. No recovery mode, no way to factory reset, seems as if my device is half rooted. Do I need to flash a stock rom through Odin to resolve this? If so, where can I find a current 4.3 version?
What I'd really like is to successfully root and load a custom ROM on this device which should be easy but has only proven to be a difficult process. As an aside could anyone possibly provide an updated guide to do this? Every one I follow has lead me to issues/incomplete rooting.

Thanks guys, I hope this isn't beating a dead horse too much.
You can just flash a recovery from odin and then flash a custom rom with su.Seems that the half-root hasnt damaged your recovery partition.

xwm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano13 View Post
You can just flash a recovery from odin and then flash a custom rom with su.Seems that the half-root hasnt damaged your recovery partition.
I was able to flash Philz Touch Recovery and through that fully root my device. I am now running CyanFox and so far pretty happy with it. Thanks for the advice!