Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,165 Members 39,312 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Audio randomly stutters on every rom I've tried and every player.

Tip us?

r3sonant
Old
(Last edited by r3sonant; 14th May 2014 at 12:04 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Audio randomly stutters on every rom I've tried and every player.

Hello.

I'm sorry if there is already a solution to this but I have not been able to find one or any posts that don't apply to a particular rom.

I have a re-occurring issue where music I am playing stutters and is glitchy.

This happens on any music player I use and it doesn't matter if the music is stored on the external SD card or the internal memory.

The actual MP3 tracks are fine and the stutters happen in different places in the tracks.

It's as if the phone doesn't have enough resources to play the music which I can't see being the case.

I have had this issue on the stock rom (4.1.2) when I got the phone and every rom I have tried since (CyanogenMod 11, CyanFox, Neatrom Stock and now Neatrom AOSP 4.9).

I am at a loss as to what is causing this and how to resolve it. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Kibosh3
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I used to have these problems as well..

Since I have used this combination I've yet to encounter any issue with music severely stuttering:
- WanamLite 7.2
- Set min CPU to 300mhz

- Poweramp Music Player (Go to Settings-Audio-Advanced Tweaks.......Set Audio Buffer Size to "Huge +750ms" & Audio Thread Priority to "Highest")

NO MORE MUSIC LAG FOR ME!
CURRENT DEVICES
Galaxy S3
iPad Mini

PAST DEVICES
LG G2
Galaxy Tab 7.7
Galaxy Note 2
Galaxy Note
Galaxy Tab P1000
Galaxy S2 - CM7
Google Nexus S - Rooted/ CM7
Motorola Defy - Rooted/ Oc'd
Motorola Backflip

jinosong
Old
Thanks Meter 514
Try a different governor.

Bannix
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I'm also experiencing audio stutters with specific governors (for example boeffla kernel - zzmoove yank battery extreme). if i switch it to standard pegasusq however, it works fine (most of the time)

r3sonant
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Even with the audio buffer at its maximum I still get the stuttering. I will try a different governed and see if that helps. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app

inteks
Old
Thanks Meter 729

DONATE TO ME
hi,
i had the same Problems. and as jinosong mentioned a different governor helps !!

best for audio playback is ondemand, lulzactiveq or interactive depending on you rom.

the problem with pegasusq is that it locks core hotpluging while screen is of

to select one of the above mentioned governor only while needed (higher battery usage) i put an option to switch the govenor only while a2dp is playing in my tool "setxperia" version 2.04

maybe you like to check this out ->
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ria.Inteks.org

pradeep74m
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Smile same problem here

I have also the same problem. I listen to music most of the time and it stutters so often it becomes annoying to the extent i consider buying an mp3 player for it. I tried boeffla and yank kernel with various governors, though the frequency reduces but the stuttering still happens randomly. I searched the forums but found only change of governors as suggestion. I would like to know if any permanent fix is available, i am thinking of trying 4.1.2 to see if stuttering still persists though i don't like stock rom very much. If fix is available it would be helpful if someone post it here.

r3sonant
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I have had stuttering with all the roms I have tried. 4.1.2, 4.3 and 4.4.2.

I am running Neatrom AOSP now with Boeffla kernel. Updated to v5 of Neatrom yesterday but not had chance to listen to music on my phone to see if the issue is still there. I will post back if it doesn't happen anymore.

pradeep74m
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I went back to stock 4.3 firmware and then updated it to latest firmware through samsung OTA update, now there is no stuttering in music play back. Two days of use i still didnt have any stuttering problems. From this I think, if you are using any custom rom, flashing stock kernel in custom roms may help solving it (Though its just a speculation based on the results).

Tags
audio, i9300, music stuttering