Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,344 Members 46,552 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Auto-connect Data on sending/receiving MMS

Tip us?

celeronix
Old
(Last edited by celeronix; 17th January 2013 at 09:33 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Prompt Auto-connect Data on sending/receiving MMS

Hi everyone
For a long period of time I've been using SlimBean with my old Galaxy S, where it wasn't needed to activate data connection by myself to send or receive MMS. That process was done automatically.
Yesterday I bought S3 and I found out that Samsung and/or Google do not implement this feature in their latest firmwares, which is strange.
I've done a small research in Google and found a post by the member Ouzo here in our forum, who has a resolution for this problem.
Here it is:
Quote:
For me, the fix was to add this line to my 'others.xml' which is located in the System/CSC folder.

<CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>true</CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>

You need to add the above string before the end of the xml file - the last two lines of it should be:-

</FeatureSet>
</SamsungMobileFeature>

Some people don't have an 'others.xml', they have 'Features.xml' or 'Features_Default.xml' instead.

After editing the xml file, you need to change the permissions back to rw--r--r--
After setting the permissions, reboot.
To make these changes I use ES File Explorer and its built in text editor (it's free).
Needless to say I hope, your phone must be rooted to edit the above file. Make a backup of the file before editing it.
Thanks, Ouzo
I hope that many of you will find this information useful.
Samsung GT-I9205 Mega 6.3 8GB
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to celeronix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Drug_Store
Old
Thanks Meter 47
This actually happend to me...

Came from a long line of HTC models, always had this feature, auto connect to receive MMS.
I was missing this on S3, but now I think we can overcome.

Nice tip, and very nice research. I missed it, but never bothered looking for it.

Thank you
Drug_Store GSM - Portugal
www.drugstore.gsmhosting.net

lockmunk
Old
Thanks Meter 12
thanx for this info..
so sad coz im using cm10.1 but cannot find csc folder in system...

skimminstones
Old
Thanks Meter 164
im confused what this does? I have no issues sending or reciving mms. Data connects fine each time. Is it the same as ticking "auto retrieve mms" in the messaging settings?

onesolo
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
For me, the fix was to add this line to my 'others.xml' which is located in the System/CSC folder.

You need to add the above string before the end of the xml file - the last two lines of it should be:-

</FeatureSet>
</SamsungMobileFeature>
Hmm, I opened others.xml but I don't see those two last lines of the document...
My last line is:
</CustomerData>

Should I put like this:
Quote:
</FeatureSet>
</SamsungMobileFeature>
</CustomerData>
as my last lines ?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimminstones View Post
im confused what this does? I have no issues sending or reciving mms. Data connects fine each time. Is it the same as ticking "auto retrieve mms" in the messaging settings?
You don't have this issue cause probably you have data ON all the time... so you can send/receive MMS ...
This is for the ones that have DATA OFF, but still want to send/received MMSs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drug_Store View Post
This actually happend to me...

Came from a long line of HTC models, always had this feature, auto connect to receive MMS.
I was missing this on S3, but now I think we can overcome.

Nice tip, and very nice research. I missed it, but never bothered looking for it.

Thank you
x2!!!
I always had HTC phones before, with winmobile and android, and never had any problems sending/receiving MMSs with data off, but when I put a CM rom on my old Desire HD and got the S3, I then understand that in order to receive/send a MMS I had to turn data on... even the majority of other phones dont do this...
Main phones:
Motorola CD930 -> Nokia 8210 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Nokia 6310i -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> SonyEricsson P800 ->
Qtek S200 -> HTC Touch Pro -> (SonyEricsson k800i) -> HTC Touch HD ->HTC Desire HD -> Samsung Galaxy SIII -> Google Nexus 5 (current)

celeronix
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesolo View Post
Hmm, I opened others.xml but I don't see those two last lines of the document...
My last line is:
</CustomerData>

Should I put like this:
as my last lines ?!?!
Make a backup of the file and try.
I don't expect to occur some fatal error
Samsung GT-I9205 Mega 6.3 8GB

sxi200
Old
Thanks Meter 449
Nice find.

Although I have the others.xml file I actually put it in features.xml. Switched off data to test and it works perfectly. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

mitky82
Old
(Last edited by mitky82; 17th January 2013 at 12:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 128
For some roms dont work.
You need to add other line except this one from thread in others.xml

<CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsMobiledataOff>true</CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsMobiledataOff>

В Българския форум съм пуснал тема със CSC възможности.
GT-I9505
The Following User Says Thank You to mitky82 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

onesolo
Old
(Last edited by onesolo; 17th January 2013 at 04:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 81
Hell yeah!!!
At Last!!! Finally I'm able to send/receive MMSs with data off!!!

I just found out that the CscFeatures_Message... were all in the feature.xml and not in the others.xml

The line that works for me is this <CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>true</CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS> and not the other. I also tested with the other line and didn't work...

Also, very important to set permissions back to the file and reboot.
Main phones:
Motorola CD930 -> Nokia 8210 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Nokia 6310i -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> SonyEricsson P800 ->
Qtek S200 -> HTC Touch Pro -> (SonyEricsson k800i) -> HTC Touch HD ->HTC Desire HD -> Samsung Galaxy SIII -> Google Nexus 5 (current)

azrieqb
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Don't know if it just me, but my s3 have retrieved mms without the data on. My wife s3 don't have data plan but still receive mms without the data on.

I'm still on 4.1.1 because my region which is Malaysia still waiting for the 4.1.2. Is it the issue of this mms only happen on 4.1.2.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Tags
auto-connect, data, mms