Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,646 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bad battery perfomance

Tip us?

paco_ramirez
Old
(Last edited by paco_ramirez; 11th January 2014 at 05:18 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Bad battery perfomance

Hi everyone!

Some days ago I bought a new battery for my S3 (seller said to be genuine) and I am disappointed because its performance is almost the same as the one I was experiencing with my old battery (18 month-old battery). For this reason, I have been researching and I have done this until now:

*) Being honest, this comparison is somehow subjective since apart from the battery change, my S3 was officially updated from 4.1 to 4.3 almost at the same time I changed the battery. Then, I wonder whether this update may have affected my diagnosis on the battery duration.

1) According to the point * I decided to do a battery calibration "without root" consisting in draining the battery to 0% and charging until 100%. I haven't seen any improvement doing this.

2) As consequence I analyzed wakelocks. I have addressed two of them from the System:
- AudioOutLock. to fix this one I did as recommended: disabling sounds when typing and all of this.
- Backup. Fixed by disabling the backup from Google (I would like to have it enabled but if it is causing a battery drain...)

3) I let the phone the whole night turned on with the 3g connection on and I got a ratio of 2%/hour draining. I have read this is more or less under the normal parameters.

After doing all of this I'm still not happy with the performance. Usually, my mobile gets under 20% by the end of the day with the screen on in a range between 1h30m and 2h. If I remember well at the very begging (when I bought my phone), I was getting my phone at 20% by the end of the day but having the screen on for 4h or more. After buying a new battery, I was expecting to return to that situation.

Do you have any hint? As for example a better way to calibrate? Factory reset may help? Should I check a specific wakelock?

Thank you very much in advance!

paco_ramirez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I forgot to mention that when I let it charging over night, my s3 does not always charge until 100. Sometimes it's until 98 or 95. I don't know if this helps you guys as a hint but I want to provide as much information as possible.

Thanks

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4418
1) According to the point * I decided to do a battery calibration "without root" consisting in draining the battery to 0% and charging until 100%. I haven't seen any improvement doing this.

>>>>>Battery calibrates itself over a week or so of use .

Then, I wonder whether this update may have affected my diagnosis on the battery duration.

>>>>> Read the 4.3 threads .
Read the multiple battery posts .

paco_ramirez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan View Post

>>>>>Battery calibrates itself over a week or so of use .

Then, I wonder whether this update may have affected my diagnosis on the battery duration.

>>>>> Read the 4.3 threads .
Read the multiple battery posts .
Thanks!, I will check. But so far I have briefly seen it looks like there is not a specific solution more than disabling gNow and some other things. Maybe a good option is to downgrade or using a custom rom in which there aren't these problem.

rivhudson
Old
Thanks Meter 1
its same to me.
aftet update 4.2 to 4.3.

leonardo-lavazza
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_ramirez View Post
Hi everyone!

Some days ago I bought a new battery for my S3 (seller said to be genuine) and I am disappointed because its performance is almost the same as the one I was experiencing with my old battery (18 month-old battery). For this reason, I have been researching and I have done this until now:

*) Being honest, this comparison is somehow subjective since apart from the battery change, my S3 was officially updated from 4.1 to 4.3 almost at the same time I changed the battery. Then, I wonder whether this update may have affected my diagnosis on the battery duration.

2) As consequence I analyzed wakelocks. I have addressed two of them from the System:
- AudioOutLock. to fix this one I did as recommended: disabling sounds when typing and all of this.
- Backup. Fixed by disabling the backup from Google (I would like to have it enabled but if it is causing a battery drain...)

3) I let the phone the whole night turned on with the 3g connection on and I got a ratio of 2%/hour draining. I have read this is more or less under the normal parameters.

After doing all of this I'm still not happy with the performance. Usually, my mobile gets under 20% by the end of the day with the screen on in a range between 1h30m and 2h. If I remember well at the very begging (when I bought my phone), I was getting my phone at 20% by the end of the day but having the screen on for 4h or more. After buying a new battery, I was expecting to return to that situation.

Do you have any hint? As for example a better way to calibrate? Factory reset may help? Should I check a specific wakelock?

Thank you very much in advance!
Hi, look for XDA-forum "Better Battery Stats", there is an excellent tool to analyse battery drain and the community in this thread provides very good support.

paco_ramirez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo-lavazza View Post
Hi, look for XDA-forum "Better Battery Stats", there is an excellent tool to analyse battery drain and the community in this thread provides very good support.
Thanks!. I have been using Wakelock detector but I will try with this one. I was wondering if using this kind of applications for checking the wakelocks may provoke some battery drain itself. I mean, should it be used just for analyzing when you experience a battery issue? or should they be permanently installed no matter whether you have battery problems or not?

leonardo-lavazza
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Thanks!. I have been using Wakelock detector but I will try with this one. I was wondering if using this kind of applications for checking the wakelocks may provoke some battery drain itself. I mean, should it be used just for analyzing when you experience a battery issue? or should they be permanently installed no matter whether you have battery problems or not?
Hi, Better Battery Stats is using an already existing process of Android to obtain it's information, therefore the influence of the app itself on battery drain should be negligable.

paco_ramirez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo-lavazza View Post
Hi, Better Battery Stats is using an already existing process of Android to obtain it's information, therefore the influence of the app itself on battery drain should be negligable.
Thanks for the info!. I have not seen anything special in the partial wakelocks. In the kernel wakelocks, it is difficult to distinguish whether one entry is specially problematic or not. After what I have read so far it may be the mix of social apps I have now installed:

- Whatsapp
- Twitter
- Messenger (FB messenger)
- Line

I guess maybe I have too many of them reason why the battery is draining more than normally when the screen is off

kunal1540
Old
Thanks Meter 351
Quote:
Thanks for the info!. I have not seen anything special in the partial wakelocks. In the kernel wakelocks, it is difficult to distinguish whether one entry is specially problematic or not. After what I have read so far it may be the mix of social apps I have now installed:

- Whatsapp
- Twitter
- Messenger (FB messenger)
- Line

I guess maybe I have too many of them reason why the battery is draining more than normally when the screen is off
Which firmware you are using. .Sometimes it's the problem with the firmware. .For example GML2 and ML4 version firmware has a pretty bad battery drain. ..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app