Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 39,139 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: How long should a i9300 stock battery last
less than 12 months 0 0%
12 - 18 months 0 0%
18 to 24 months 3 75.00%
24 to 30 months 1 25.00%
Over 30 Months 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Battery Aging

Tip us?

mtp3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Battery Full [Q] Battery Aging

Hi,

Long time lurker - the community has really helped me many times in the past. Thank you.

I now have an issue with my battery in my i9300. Phone and battery are 22 months old. All stock (updated to 4.3).

Phone gets charged every night from 10pm to 6am. Usage has been constant - no new apps added in last year.

Until 2 months ago, the phone would have 25% to 35% at the end of the day having started at 100% each morning

Then it started to drop to 15-20%. I thought - hmm - battery is aging a bit.

Then, in the bast week, suddenly, I get a max of 4 hours use, then battery dies. It recharges to 100% in one hour (I use a 10W charger) and then lasts again for 4 hours.

The battery is not bulging or showing other signs of being defective. There does not seem to be any apps that are using unusual cpu %. Phone is responsive.

My questions are:

1. Is it normal for a battery to suddenly degrade like this? I thought the Li Ion batteries degraded at a constant (20% per year half life) rate.?

2. Is using a 10W charger damaging to the battery (stock is 5W) ?

Thanks

Mark

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 689
1. Yes, two years old is ancient so replace it now.
2. Rating of charger is irrelevant, the charging circuit in the phone decides what the battery gets.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thin_Bezel
Old
Thanks Meter 166
Definitely replace the battery. When I was using the Galaxy S3 after 15 months of buying it, the battery was simply horrible. It wouldn't last even half a day. I bought a new battery and it is much better.

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Free mobile app

sirecram
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think that 22 months for a phone battery you charge every day is "normal"... that's why I bought a phone with a emovable battery