[Q] Battery "discharges" out of the blue

OP Euch

17th August 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

42 posts
Hi,
My wife's been complaining about her sgs3, i9300a phone a lot lately, so I've been taking some time of to have a long hard look at it.
the phone in itself works quite well, it is somewhat guarded (she tends to drop it a lot but most of the time it's actually in it's case) and we've switched the screen once (well, not the screen, the top half of the phone to be exact)
the phone used to have a stock 4.1.3 (I think) samsung rom on it for the past year, it's been working well untill a couple of months ago I think and it does still function properly on light use

so what is the issue?
if you'll start a game, or anything that'll cause the phone to heat up - the screen would flicker a bit (not always) and the battery will suddenly report to be down to 0%, shutting down the device right after.
this sudden discharge is obviously not real, as the minute I connect it to a charger and boot up the phone it shows it's last charge before the phone was shut down - however the issue keeps on repeating itself over and over again.

If the phone is connected to a wall charger (or a pc via USB cable) this doesn't happen.

I've been trying to install a kitkat on the device (it have been working slowly so she needed an upgrade) yet the issue persists.

I've been reading around the Internet, some claim it's a faulty battery issue so I'm ordering one from eBay, however - I can't shake the feeling it might some other faulty hardware, perhaps a memory chip gone bad? as I can't see the connection between a bad battery and a flickering screen.

Truth to be told - I'm not a fan of android, or samsung, so I don't know much of the history of problems with it (if there is any) and I've been hoping that there is someone around here who might encountered (or heard) about my issue and would be able to shed some light for me.

thanks in advance!
17th August 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 709

3,214 posts
Change the battery first, replacing the motherboard isn't worth it.
17th August 2014, 04:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer

Change the battery first, replacing the motherboard isn't worth it.

Yeah... I'm planning on stealing my boss S3's battery for some testing later on today if he'll ever decide to show up...
perhaps shouldn't have told him that beforehand

I did hope someone encountered and fixed/learned about this problem as the device has 2 years of history at least...

if it'll come to motherboard switching I'll just force the little lady to switch to a real phone such as an HTC, or maybe go to WP
18th August 2014, 09:27 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

42 posts
It was the battery..
Perhaps I should've guessed it by the fact it was REALLY hard closing the case... but it was only after I saw a normal battery that I noticed the real difference.
so for future reference to whomever might meet the same behavior - my battery was about 1.5 the size of what it should be and was quite round,
better call those Samsung representatives and get a replacement before it explodes

Anyone has experience with those 4200Mhz batteries? worth the money or should I just get a genuine one (it cost about the same in here, like 4$ more), the reviews are quite mixed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, i9300, samsung galaxy 3
Previous Thread Next Thread