Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,223 Members 42,185 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Boot loops, Kies can't update the device, only rom that will boot is CM9...

Tip us?

Mechanical Menace
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Boot loops, Kies can't update the device, only rom that will boot is CM9...

I'm having strange problems with an I9300 I'm trying to fix for friend. Now unfortunately I end up doing things like this not because I know anything about these things, but because I'm I'm slightly more computer literate than the rest of my group of friends, so I'll apologise now if these are stupid questions, I have searched but could find nothing.

Now last night my friend comes to mine with his phone stuck in a boot loop. Now beyond the fact it already had a custom ROM on it I can tell you nothing except he claims he installed AVG and it happened. So I reboot into Windows, start up Kies, and see what I can do. Which so far has been:

1) Try to perform an Upgrade and Initialisation. Jump through the hoops, end up with the message "This device's version cannot be updated."

2) Ok, that didn't work. Hit sammobile to find a stock rom and fire up Odin. Ohh success...

3) Oh noes, too soon. The Samsung chime cuts off early and it's stuck with a pulsating logo.

3) Ok well maybe a downgrade first? Get a 4.1 stock rom and try again. Odin sees no problems again, the chime plays fully. But nope, it's just a longer boot loop.

4) After much head scratching and just trying random stuff I end up finding CM9.1 will boot fully, but the EFS data is screwed. This is the only rom I've found so far that will boot.

So from where I started I'm closer and if the radio worked this would be fine. Now the only suggestion I've heard to get the radio working is flashing a stock rom through Kies but I have no idea how to get Kies to play along. Any ideas?

Thanks.

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 689
Your downgrade screwed the efs, flash 4.3 and pray it is still readable.

Your mistake was to not factory reset after the first Odin flash.
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

Mechanical Menace
Old
(Last edited by Mechanical Menace; 6th September 2014 at 02:57 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default 123c

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
Your downgrade screwed the efs, flash 4.3 and pray it is still readable.

Your mistake was to not factory reset after the first Odin flash.
I did actually try that before flashing 4.3 with Odin and after. Was still stuck in a boot loop... :/

Thanks