Cell Standby issue - please sign "petition" for Samsung

24th June 2012, 12:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,663

22,628 posts
More
Hi everyone,

I appreciate that there are threads on this already but this is different.

I have created a petition because Samsung support have not acknowledged that there is an issue. There recommendation was to "Factory reset".

It has been identified by members of the forum that the mA in battery stats used to calculate Cell Standby % has been set ridiculously high.

Please see explanation here.

Rooted users can fix this by flashing more realistic values here

I would like everyone who has the issue to sign the petition, so we can send it to Samsung and prove how much we like this fixed.

Link is here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/s...standby-issue/

Moderators, please do not merge / delete. Could this sticky please?
Last edited by rootSU; 26th June 2012 at 12:18 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2012, 01:15 PM   |  #2  
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 2

134 posts
More
I wrote this in the other thread but I'll leave it here as well.
Quote:

Do you guys realize at all how this works?

I mean, cell standby, percent shown means how much is used of the current % usage... If there is 50% percent of battery used, and 30% by cell standby, that means that 30% out of that 50% in total was used by cell standby, not that cell standby used 30% of battery, are you even aware of that?

If your phone's screen is off most of time, it is normal that the cell standby will be high in this list then. That doesn't mean it drains your battery it just shows how much of used battery was used for cell standby...

24th June 2012, 01:22 PM   |  #3  
Flag Basingstoke
Thanks Meter: 108

688 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoza

Yeah makes perfect sense. Also goes to show how efficient the screen is compared to other phones including the sgs2. I think the sluggish touch wiz with all the screen redrawing is more of an issue.
24th June 2012, 01:23 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

22,628 posts
More
Quote:

Yes we are aware of how it works. Its simple maths.

The issue is as many of us see it, even with screen on times of 2 hours +, the cell standby is massively high and sometimes more than screen on time. This is NOT right!
24th June 2012, 01:41 PM   |  #5  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 449

1,497 posts
More
Turn off wifi and data and battery loses 1% every hour or 2. With wifi & or data on the phone loses about 2-3% every hour.

The reception radio isn't the problem.

Most likely some background syncing happening. I've turned all types of background syncing but drain persists.

Could just be that having wifi or data on chews up battery, ie hardware.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
24th June 2012, 01:45 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 73

282 posts
Quote:

Thank you captain obvious :P

It's the fact that cell standby often tops the battery usage list even when the screen has been on for like 2.5 hours. It was never this high in the S2 or other Android phones.

Somebody suggested it could be a change in the way cell standby is reported, which is a possibility, but it would be helpful if Samsung would confirm or deny that.
24th June 2012, 01:47 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

22,628 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye

but it would be helpful if Samsung would confirm or deny that.

Precisely.

In my email to them, I asked them to confirm if it was reporting.
24th June 2012, 01:49 PM   |  #8  
Flag Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 2

134 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye

Thank you captain obvious :P

It's the fact that cell standby often tops the battery usage list even when the screen has been on for like 2.5 hours. It was never this high in the S2 or other Android phones.

Somebody suggested it could be a change in the way cell standby is reported, which is a possibility, but it would be helpful if Samsung would confirm or deny that.

I see. Yeah, sorry for being obvious then, I just had a feel that some folks don't get it and wanted to explain it. I don't have battery drain issue. But I don't have wifi and 3g on all the time though.
24th June 2012, 01:50 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

22,628 posts
More
Quote:

I see. Yeah, sorry for being obvious then, I just had a feel that some folks don't get it and wanted to explain it. I don't have battery drain issue. But I don't have wifi and 3g on all the time though.

Its ok. We know that some people dont understand how it works. I wish it was just that this time
24th June 2012, 01:54 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 73

282 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Precisely.

In my email to them, I asked them to confirm if it was reporting.

Do you have a static IP set up on your network at home?

Something I just realised is that my battery reported "Wi-Fi" usage when I was using DHCP, but it doesn't report Wi-Fi now that I have a static IP set up.

I'm going to change it back to use DHCP and see if that makes a difference. It could be that Wi-Fi is being reported under cell standby usage for some reason.

Although... that doesn't explain why cell standby is so high while I'm at work and not connected to Wi-Fi!

Quote:

Sorry, your "do you guys know at all how this works?" comment came across as a little condescending but you probably didn't mean it to be

The issue is basically that cell standby is using a lot more on this phone than on any others, but it could be a reporting issue. We're trying to figure out what's causing it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread