No registration required

[Q] Only charging with some chargers

OP Axerqz

25th August 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi!

I'm having problems lately with my phone only charging with some chargers (my original charger for the s3 works, and so does a HTC charger) but not at all with others. The problem is there when connecting it to the computer too, sometimes it syncs and charges flawlessly, sometimes it charges, but wont sync, and sometimes nothing at all happens. All of the chargers and cables work when i test them with other devices (including another S3). The battery is also fine.

The only thing I've been able to figure out is that the same configuration will always net the same result, i.e. one charger+cable works every time, while another charger+cable never works. In the past the cable not working did work, although only if I applied pressure in one direction, which led me to believe there was a problem with the charging port, however I find it weird that some chargers/cables works flawlessly.

I'm running latest OmniROM nightly with latest Boeffla kernel. I've tried deactivating the safe charging setting in Boeffla control, but it made no difference. Been having this problem since mid July.

Anyone know of any solution besides getting a new phone?
25th August 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Internal Storage
Thanks Meter: 474

2,672 posts
More
I experienced these too, it's just a matter of cable quality. My advice is always use the original cable
If you experience charging problems(eg. Phone isn't charging or it interrupts)or sync issues, your s3's internal plug might be damaged(it's quite common afaik)

Sent from the Dark Side of the Galaxy
26th August 2014, 12:14 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Yeah as I'm suspecting the internal port too, just found it weird that some cables works. I tried two brand new chargers in the last couple of days, one Sony 850 mA and one generic 2.1 A charger. None worked with my phone, but both worked with my sisters S3.

I was hoping it would be SW related, but I've tried both a newer ROM version and a new kernel. Maybe I should try a complete factory reset?
29th August 2014, 01:56 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Internal Storage
Thanks Meter: 474

2,672 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axerqz

Yeah as I'm suspecting the internal port too, just found it weird that some cables works. I tried two brand new chargers in the last couple of days, one Sony 850 mA and one generic 2.1 A charger. None worked with my phone, but both worked with my sisters S3.

I was hoping it would be SW related, but I've tried both a newer ROM version and a new kernel. Maybe I should try a complete factory reset?

I doubt it will work but trying is for free huh[emoji28]

Sent from the Dark Side of the Galaxy
29th August 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 12

83 posts
Its a hardware related USB port problem for sure... This happened to 3 galaxy s3s I've used. I sent two of them back as only one cable worked with them which is ridiculous and I decided to get the third one fixed by replacing the USB port. After this it began to work fine with every cable.

Sent from a "Galaxy" far, far away with my Ultra Ray Gun
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread