Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] "No Command"/"Error" in Recovery Mode After OTA Update to 4.3

OP MasterfulNinja

27th April 2014, 03:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Hey everyone,

I have an unrooted Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 on T-Mobile (UK). I recently updated firmware 4.3 and noticed the battery drained really quickly. After a lot of researching, I found that a factory reset should fix the issue, which it did!

I have since discovered that when in recovery mode, everything seems normal (as in the menu is displayed, including the option "Wipe Cache Partition") the words "No Command" is displayed under the Android robot, with a red exclamation mark. If I choose an option, whether it's Wipe Cache Partition" or "Reboot Now" it seems to do the actions(it shows "Erasing" once "Wipe Cache Partition" has been selected and also reboots the phone) but the word "Error" is displayed under the robot when the action has been done or just before the phone reboots, after selecting "Reboot Now"

Is this normal? Why all of a sudden does it say "No Command" and "Error"?

I haven't tried to root my phone or install any custom roms or try to modify the phone in any way since I got it.

Can anyone out there please let me know why these words have started to appear in recovery mode?

I'd really appreciate it!!

P.S. I searched the forums before posting and although some were similar, they didn't cover my exact problem.
27th April 2014, 07:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 749

3,400 posts
Try downloading the same official firmware and flashing with odin, there is a guide in general forum. Factory reset then try again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
27th April 2014, 10:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer

Try downloading the same official firmware and flashing with odin, there is a guide in general forum. Factory reset then try again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for your reply. I found the guide to flashing the phone with Odin and I'm a little worried in case I mess up and brick the phone, I read that if you make a mistake, that can happen.

Just to say, I checked the recovery mode again and it seems to do everything normally, such as wiping the cache(it says so in the log) but it just says "No Command" after each action. The word "Error" only appears the very first time you see the robot, and when you select "Reboot Now" just before it reboots "error" shows up under the robot and then the phone restarts.

So, do you know if this is normal? Or do you think it's something to do with the way the firmware 4.3 works?

I'd just like to know whether it's normal or if there's something wrong behind the scenes in the phones firmware.

Hope you can help and thank you again.
27th April 2014, 11:10 PM   |  #4  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 18

74 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterfulNinja

Thank you very much for your reply. I found the guide to flashing the phone with Odin and I'm a little worried in case I mess up and brick the phone, I read that if you make a mistake, that can happen.

Just to say, I checked the recovery mode again and it seems to do everything normally, such as wiping the cache(it says so in the log) but it just says "No Command" after each action. The word "Error" only appears the very first time you see the robot, and when you select "Reboot Now" just before it reboots "error" shows up under the robot and then the phone restarts.

So, do you know if this is normal? Or do you think it's something to do with the way the firmware 4.3 works?

I'd just like to know whether it's normal or if there's something wrong behind the scenes in the phones firmware.

Hope you can help and thank you again.

Honestly, I'd quite like to see a pic of the errors in recovery. Meanwhile if you don't feel like using Odin (if you stick tight to the tutorials nothing bad will happen) you can try to repair with Kies, you might have installed it anyway. Here is a detailed guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...mware-t1978840

If this fails for any reason go ahead and try Odin using this noobproof guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...i9300-t2187081. That should almost certainly eradicate any errors.
28th April 2014, 12:55 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benko111

Honestly, I'd quite like to see a pic of the errors in recovery. Meanwhile if you don't feel like using Odin (if you stick tight to the tutorials nothing bad will happen) you can try to repair with Kies, you might have installed it anyway. Here is a detailed guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...mware-t1978840

If this fails for any reason go ahead and try Odin using this noobproof guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...i9300-t2187081. That should almost certainly eradicate any errors.

Thank you so much for the links! I actually just tried the update via Kies, reinstalling the stock firmware and it took a while and I did everything it said but the messages still show in recovery mode, just like before. So I'm wondering if it's actually supposed to normal to display those words, and maybe that's just that way it is now?

I took some pics of the screen, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Here's the "No Command" message displayed. As you can see, it has wiped the cache partition after I selected it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/irolo6rp8w...%2039%2034.png

And here's the "Error" message it says just after I've selected "Reboot Now" and before the phone restarts.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9o0yuopkf3...%2040%2017.png

Have you seen or heard of this before?
28th April 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #6  
Flag Berlin

74 posts
Donate to Me
More
No problem. And no, not in this context. But then again, I haven't had a stock recovery (nor a stock ROM) on my phones for years.
But I do get tons of phones in for repair every week, have not really noticed these 'errors' anywhere.
It seems to execute everything fine.

Would be interesting if you'd flash a TWRP recovery what it says then. You can easily replace it by your stock recovery again.
If everything looks good there then it probably is just the way it is.
28th April 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benko111

No problem. And no, not in this context. But then again, I haven't had a stock recovery (nor a stock ROM) on my phones for years.
But I do get tons of phones in for repair every week, have not really noticed these 'errors' anywhere.
It seems to execute everything fine.

Would be interesting if you'd flash a TWRP recovery what it says then. You can easily replace it by your stock recovery again.
If everything looks good there then it probably is just the way it is.

That would be interesting, but doing so would require me to root my phone, right?

Oh I see, so it's a quite an unusual thing to happen . . . The fact that it says "Error", yet executes things fine anyway.

I've come to a possible conclusion that it's probably down to that particular version of the stock rom? Maybe people how have updated in the UK, using that version would experience the same? Because, after reinstalling it via Kies, and there being no change regarding those messages in recovery mode, doesn't that point to the firmware being the cause? For example, if I flashed the phone with a custom rom(that didn't have any error messages) surely, those messages wouldn't show up after I'd installed it, right?

Does what I'm saying make sense?

Sorry if I'm going on, I'm not too familiar with the technical side of Anroid systems.
29th April 2014, 05:36 AM   |  #8  
Flag Berlin

74 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterfulNinja

That would be interesting, but doing so would require me to root my phone, right?

Oh I see, so it's a quite an unusual thing to happen . . . The fact that it says "Error", yet executes things fine anyway.

I've come to a possible conclusion that it's probably down to that particular version of the stock rom? Maybe people how have updated in the UK, using that version would experience the same? Because, after reinstalling it via Kies, and there being no change regarding those messages in recovery mode, doesn't that point to the firmware being the cause? For example, if I flashed the phone with a custom rom(that didn't have any error messages) surely, those messages wouldn't show up after I'd installed it, right?

Does what I'm saying make sense?

Sorry if I'm going on, I'm not too familiar with the technical side of Anroid systems.

No, you don't need root for flashing TWRP via Odin. Use this great and easy guide (if the guide helped you hit the users thanks button):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...g-tar-t2680354

I'm not sure if this is really the UK-ROM or just a common thing under certain circumstances and I've just never noticed it, but I really doubt it.
If everything is fine with TWRP and also installing ROMs causes no problems I would just accept this as one of the never solved mysteries - which I rarely do normally

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread