5,606,530 Members 34,197 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] command to "reboot" wireless?

Tip us?

sambahb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] command to "reboot" wireless?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III and I have a problem which occurs on all the roms I have tried so far: Paranoid Android, Cyanogenmod and Ultimarom: When using Automateit to frequently turn wifi on and off, wifi breaks after a while (no fixed time, sometimes there are days without problems), which means wifi can not be turned on again, neither manually, nor automatically. When turning it on, no networks are shown. The only fix is a reboot.
Now I am looking for a solution which could avoid the reboot. I want to now if there are shell commands to restart/reload the wifi module manually. Then I could use the Automateit-Shell extension to frequently do this automatically. Does anyone know how to do this?

Samba

jukyO
Old
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambahb View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S III and I have a problem which occurs on all the roms I have tried so far: Paranoid Android, Cyanogenmod and Ultimarom: When using Automateit to frequently turn wifi on and off, wifi breaks after a while (no fixed time, sometimes there are days without problems), which means wifi can not be turned on again, neither manually, nor automatically. When turning it on, no networks are shown. The only fix is a reboot.
Now I am looking for a solution which could avoid the reboot. I want to now if there are shell commands to restart/reload the wifi module manually. Then I could use the Automateit-Shell extension to frequently do this automatically. Does anyone know how to do this?

Samba
From terminal on your phone:

Code:
su
ls /sys/class/net
It will list your interfaces. For wlan it will probably be wlan0.

Then:

Code:
ifconfig wlan0 down
For bringing it up:

Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up
Tried on my stock 4.3 now, works ok for going down. But it automatically brings it up after ~ 10 secs.
||HTC Desire|| Nikez-Evervolv-Turba 3.3.0p1 (JB 4.2.2)|| 32.56.00.32U_5.17.05.23|| HTC-RIL 1.6.1062G||
2.6.38.8-evervolv-turba-jellybean-nikez-perfection||1Gb Ext4+14.4Gb FAT32

GUIDES
ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone
Installation guide to ADB on Ubuntu 10.10

MY Stuff
Juwe RAMscript Flashable zip
LG Keyboard
Bravia engine for Desire
CM7&MIUI sdcard read/write fix
The Following User Says Thank You to jukyO For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]