Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,016 Members 50,101 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] complete noob but need answers xD

Tip us?

Goldenrice
Old
(Last edited by Goldenrice; 25th April 2014 at 11:17 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] complete noob but need answers xD

ok so i bought my international version galaxy s3 from ebay. it was already rooted and modified. i know cause i
cant receive updates. unless i use triangle away. obviously i still dont get updates because im on a custom rom which i have no idea what custom rom it is. rom manager doesnt tell me. rom manager says
that my custom rom isnt setup to recieve updates.

im on 4.1.2 JB. what im wanting to know is. can i flash straight to cyanogenmod 10.2 from my custom rom?
and will flashing to 10.2 keep me on 4.1.2 JB but with the cyan tweaks/mods or will it be 4.3?
also what is the best method to save my imei from any dramas. i also dont want to lose my network which ive seen people have this problem also.

is there anyway for me to find out what custom rom im using? i know that i have clockworkmod 6 installed.
im using 19300XXELLA on what i beleive is a custom kernel smp but cant be sure.
im sure this post has not made much sense but hope you can undersyand what km asking

i also looked at the sticky threads. they gave answers but i felt they werent the answers i needed specifically for me. except the imei question

kunal1540
Old
Thanks Meter 347
First you can know your custom ROM most probably from about device info...
Second you can flash cm 10.2 or cm11 without any hassles with imei but if you want any Samsung based custom rom you should flash a newer modem... Search for them there are flashable zips available...
Before doing this,backup your efs by one of many apps on play store like ktool or samsung tool..
Cm10.2 means it is 4.3 android and cm11 will be 4.4.2..
And don't expect features of samsung firmware in those roms.. I mean better camera, swipe for screen shot and other features.. They are exclusive for samsung based roms...
For cm11 you must update your recovery to latest search for it flash then via Odin
Or cwm flashable zips are also available...

Sent from my GT-I9300