Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 39,205 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] what is custom kernel and what are best combinations?

Tip us?

darki0xox
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] what is custom kernel and what are best combinations?

Hello , my name is ahmed
I've been flashing roms and custom roms for several android devices for a year now - and I have good experience in idevices iphone ipad softwaring and jailbreaking

I always used stock rom first then flash custom rom so I can build my rom on a basic stock kernel.
Until I faced many bugging and lagging problems and some battery drain ones too !

So my question is I wanna try custom kernels I heared it helps the rom and the device for more power and cpu control
I need to know what is kernel is more deep way than just " the heart of the device " as many guides say here
I need also to know what are the best combinations between customs!

actually I do need to know more about threads I'd face if I got involved into this.
Thanks in advance

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 681
You need to search, read and test. No one can give you an exact answer and threads asking for recommendations are against the posting rules, as they can cause bad feeling.

The kernel is the layer between the rom and hardware, it contains all the drivers etc to implement the software calls. Custom kernels will allow you change things that stock won't, usually with some risk.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to boomboomer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darki0xox
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomer View Post
You need to search, read and test. No one can give you an exact answer and threads asking for recommendations are against the posting rules, as they can cause bad feeling.

The kernel is the layer between the rom and hardware, it contains all the drivers etc to implement the software calls. Custom kernels will allow you change things that stock won't, usually with some risk.

Thanks for the reply
But I read in some topics I have to use a specific kernel with specific rom idk why they said that . Can u help me with that ?

And I wonder , by using a kernel with note 3 on a custom rom can I still have s pen features somehow ? And detectors like air gestures ? Or its related to samsung stock touchWiz only ?

boomboomer
Old
Thanks Meter 681
If the rom chef says to use a specific kernel then it will usually be included in the rom.

You can't use a kernel from another device, you will blow the hardware. Features can be imported as software, by the rom chef unless it needs a sensor that the s3 doesn't have.

Note: This quote doesn't automatically apply to everyone, decide for yourself if it might apply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justruss View Post

What has this place become?

It's essentially a few people graciously answering the same repeating of immature, lazy, demanding questions from the masses.

Nobody searches. Nobody reads the first posts or titles of threads. Nobody even looks at posts a couple above their own.