Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 51,765 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Data stops working on AOSP roms but works on stock Samsung. Why?

Tip us?

vatvedt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Default [Q] Data stops working on AOSP roms but works on stock Samsung. Why?

Hi,

After flashing a build of CM11 back in February, I've had problems with the data-connection (2G/3G/H, etc.). It works when starting the phone, but suddenly it just dies. It looks like it's working, but no data seems to be transferred. I have to turn data off for a minute or five, and back on. The it usually works for a while again, until it dies...again..

I've fullwiped (except SDcard and internal SDcard), and tried several modems. Then I went from CM back to Ultima ROM (based on stock Samsung), and used it for a couple of days. Data worked perfectly. Thinking it solved the problem, I tried Omni again, after wiping/formatting data, system, cache and Dalvik. Installed it, data seems to work, but after a few hours, it just dies again.. The signal icon still has the H+ connection, etc, but I can't use it. Just like it's offline.

Any ideas?
HTC Hero | HTC Desire HD | HTC Sensation XE | Samsung Galaxy SIII | Oppo Find 5

Paresh Kalinani
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Arrow Use GSM Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatvedt View Post
Hi,

After flashing a build of CM11 back in February, I've had problems with the data-connection (2G/3G/H, etc.). It works when starting the phone, but suddenly it just dies. It looks like it's working, but no data seems to be transferred. I have to turn data off for a minute or five, and back on. The it usually works for a while again, until it dies...again..

I've fullwiped (except SDcard and internal SDcard), and tried several modems. Then I went from CM back to Ultima ROM (based on stock Samsung), and used it for a couple of days. Data worked perfectly. Thinking it solved the problem, I tried Omni again, after wiping/formatting data, system, cache and Dalvik. Installed it, data seems to work, but after a few hours, it just dies again.. The signal icon still has the H+ connection, etc, but I can't use it. Just like it's offline.

Any ideas?
This is EXACTLY what happened with me. I don't use WCDMA Network now. Use GSM Network (EDGE). I hope it'll get fixed in Android 4.4.4 and we'll be able to use 3G again..
On GSM Network, I never faced such a problem even on CM ROMs.

vatvedt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
The weird thing was that I had no problems using 4.4.x version of CM of the January builds with 3G. They worked great when it came to data. And it doesn't seem to be a common problem, as I haven't read about more than one or two users before me. Switching to 2G/Edge does seem to work. Might be a coincidence, but I'm going to leave it on 2G for a while, just to check.

Either way I would love to use 3G on AOSP. If not, I would have to go back to stock Samsung..

Paresh Kalinani
Old
Thanks Meter 115
First I thought maybe it happened because of damaged IMEI .. But 2G works! So it's not..
weird problem.. It isn't like the phone says it's not connected to network.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

vatvedt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
I tried Intelli3G with Xposed, but 3G didn't help either, so I forced it to 2G (within Intelli3G). That seemed to work. After an hour or two (still working), I tried (for the fun of it, since I hate 2G) to press *#*#4636#*#* and under Phone Information, I changed to WCDMA preferred. Data has been working stable since last evening. Might be a coincidence, but I'm crossing my fingers. I've disabled Intelli3G as well. Haven't rebooted after disabling it though. I'm afraid it wold stop working.
The Following User Says Thank You to vatvedt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vatvedt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Restart seemed to work ok. For some reason it was set to 2G (GSM) only. I changed that to WCDMA preferred again. Seemed to work. I then enabled Wifi to update som apps, and then disabled Wifi. It reconnected to 3G, but now the connection is dead again.
The Following User Says Thank You to vatvedt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vatvedt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
If I go from 3G to Wifi and back to 3G, the connection seems to die. I open Intelli3G, change the mode to WCDMA/GSM auto or any other so data disconnects, and change it back to WCDMA preferred. Data now working. Don't know if I should stop using Wifi at the moment (if it's the transition between Wifi and data that stops it), or go back to stock 4.3, where it seems to be working as it should.

At least I have an (almost) unlimited dataplan, so data on 3G and no wifi is probably best all over, even though wifi at work and home is a lot faster than 3G..

vatvedt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Data has been stable on 2G/3G since yesterday. I've turned off Wifi completely. It's not a solution by a long shot, but at least I know data is working stable (so far) as long as Wifi is off.

Tags
cm omni data 3g 2g hspa network stop working