Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Data stops working on AOSP roms but works on stock Samsung. Why?

OP vatvedt

2nd April 2014, 08:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Halden
Thanks Meter: 85

644 posts
More
Hi,

After flashing a build of CM11 back in February, I've had problems with the data-connection (2G/3G/H, etc.). It works when starting the phone, but suddenly it just dies. It looks like it's working, but no data seems to be transferred. I have to turn data off for a minute or five, and back on. The it usually works for a while again, until it dies...again..

I've fullwiped (except SDcard and internal SDcard), and tried several modems. Then I went from CM back to Ultima ROM (based on stock Samsung), and used it for a couple of days. Data worked perfectly. Thinking it solved the problem, I tried Omni again, after wiping/formatting data, system, cache and Dalvik. Installed it, data seems to work, but after a few hours, it just dies again.. The signal icon still has the H+ connection, etc, but I can't use it. Just like it's offline.

Any ideas?
2nd April 2014, 02:11 PM   |  #2  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 116

531 posts
More
Arrow Use GSM Network
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatvedt

Hi,

After flashing a build of CM11 back in February, I've had problems with the data-connection (2G/3G/H, etc.). It works when starting the phone, but suddenly it just dies. It looks like it's working, but no data seems to be transferred. I have to turn data off for a minute or five, and back on. The it usually works for a while again, until it dies...again..

I've fullwiped (except SDcard and internal SDcard), and tried several modems. Then I went from CM back to Ultima ROM (based on stock Samsung), and used it for a couple of days. Data worked perfectly. Thinking it solved the problem, I tried Omni again, after wiping/formatting data, system, cache and Dalvik. Installed it, data seems to work, but after a few hours, it just dies again.. The signal icon still has the H+ connection, etc, but I can't use it. Just like it's offline.

Any ideas?

This is EXACTLY what happened with me. I don't use WCDMA Network now. Use GSM Network (EDGE). I hope it'll get fixed in Android 4.4.4 and we'll be able to use 3G again..
On GSM Network, I never faced such a problem even on CM ROMs.
2nd April 2014, 02:48 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Halden

644 posts
More
The weird thing was that I had no problems using 4.4.x version of CM of the January builds with 3G. They worked great when it came to data. And it doesn't seem to be a common problem, as I haven't read about more than one or two users before me. Switching to 2G/Edge does seem to work. Might be a coincidence, but I'm going to leave it on 2G for a while, just to check.

Either way I would love to use 3G on AOSP. If not, I would have to go back to stock Samsung..
2nd April 2014, 05:55 PM   |  #4  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 116

531 posts
More
First I thought maybe it happened because of damaged IMEI .. But 2G works! So it's not..
weird problem.. It isn't like the phone says it's not connected to network.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
3rd April 2014, 08:16 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Halden

644 posts
More
I tried Intelli3G with Xposed, but 3G didn't help either, so I forced it to 2G (within Intelli3G). That seemed to work. After an hour or two (still working), I tried (for the fun of it, since I hate 2G) to press *#*#4636#*#* and under Phone Information, I changed to WCDMA preferred. Data has been working stable since last evening. Might be a coincidence, but I'm crossing my fingers. I've disabled Intelli3G as well. Haven't rebooted after disabling it though. I'm afraid it wold stop working.
The Following User Says Thank You to vatvedt For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd April 2014, 09:58 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Halden

644 posts
More
Restart seemed to work ok. For some reason it was set to 2G (GSM) only. I changed that to WCDMA preferred again. Seemed to work. I then enabled Wifi to update som apps, and then disabled Wifi. It reconnected to 3G, but now the connection is dead again.
3rd April 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Halden

644 posts
More
If I go from 3G to Wifi and back to 3G, the connection seems to die. I open Intelli3G, change the mode to WCDMA/GSM auto or any other so data disconnects, and change it back to WCDMA preferred. Data now working. Don't know if I should stop using Wifi at the moment (if it's the transition between Wifi and data that stops it), or go back to stock 4.3, where it seems to be working as it should.

At least I have an (almost) unlimited dataplan, so data on 3G and no wifi is probably best all over, even though wifi at work and home is a lot faster than 3G..
4th April 2014, 12:27 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Halden

644 posts
More
Data has been stable on 2G/3G since yesterday. I've turned off Wifi completely. It's not a solution by a long shot, but at least I know data is working stable (so far) as long as Wifi is off.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm omni data 3g 2g hspa network stop working
Previous Thread Next Thread